The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

8 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Yes, it is a touchscreen with various relevant controls and faders running on custom software by Mark Wherry.

9BO2AGE.jpg

You can see Tom Holkenborg talk about it here as well.

Ok, cool, thanks.

Why should Joe Schmo from NJ not have every opportunity to succeed musically?  You have the luxury of simply not listening if you don't like what he does, as I do with solo Ray Davies. 

So, how's work?

Stefan is of course taking the piss, but just to allay Richard's rather prissy concern about this particular device polluting the pool of composers by enabling the untalented, all it does is gather a ton of sample, synthesizer, and general MIDI functions into one place.  I've no idea how that might help someone who has no ability fake their way into it, but I hope you manage to live with the fear. 

Nope. Not baiting, as TGP knows well. 

Would Holkenborg be able to "write" music without a battery of computers to aid him? 

This forum's batch of midi composers will be quick to point out it doesn't matter, but i think it does.

Technology can be an aid. But it can also be used to fake abilities.

When JW scored all those "glossy comedies", did anyone really think that, ten years hence, he would re-invent the film score, and change the musical face of cinema?

Now, I'm not really saying that Junkie XL is going to do the same thing, but he might turn out to be a cut above the usual RCP cookie-cutter crowd, and a good composer, in his own right. If anything, it's the creativity-sucking RCP, along with all these devices to "aid" (and for "aid", read "emasculate") composers, that's the problem.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

His Mad Max score was ace, but I can't see him score a Jane Austin movie.

The 'adagio' stuff proudly belongs to the worst recent film music has to offer. I am not expecting Johnny Greenwood levels of intellectual application but stuff like this, 'Deadpool' and Co. is what gives the hobby a bad name.

Nah, it's actually a fine score.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

The 'adagio' stuff proudly belongs to the worst recent film music has to offer. 

The adagio does what it needs to do in the film, and was never gonna persuade cynical classical music lovers like you.

Its the weakest part of the score, but still acceptable.

49 minutes ago, Richard said:

Please name me an improper Goldenthal score.

Mad Max needed a Goldenthal with no restraint.

Mad Max needed this:

What JXL gave us was too tame and serviceable, at best.

• 4 weeks later...

Are THE FINAL CONFLICT, LIONHEART and LEVIATHAN owned by Varese Sarabande in perpetuity? I'm asking, because someone recently said they had got these perpetuity rights for titles from 1989 till now, but not before that year.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Apparently, it's 3MCA, with the cue title being Riding The Hippogriff

http://filmcues.blogspot.fr/2012/10/harry-potter-and-prisoner-of-azkaban.html

Thanks, but no, that's not it.  That is the scene where Harry pets Buckbeak who rejects everyone but Harry before the flight. 

EDIT: Nevermind I was wrong.  I was looking at 3MC not 3MCA.

9 hours ago, Display Name said:

Are THE FINAL CONFLICT, LIONHEART and LEVIATHAN owned by Varese Sarabande in perpetuity? I'm asking, because someone recently said they had got these perpetuity rights for titles from 1989 till now, but not before that year.

Interesting question. Since VS recently released the 40th THE OMEN, this would suggest that it might have some sort of deal with 20th Century Fox.