Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

The Quest for Erebor, Bard the Man of the Lake-Town and Nature of Evil are slow-ish pieces but otherwise I enjoy disc 1 tremendously. As BB said The Quest for Erebor is hands down the most uneventful prologue in the whole series of scores.

I remember Doug's initial comment that Quest for Erebor "is largely based on preexisting themes ... with some unusual surprises!". Aside from Bree, I can't think of what else he'd be referring to, unless he was referring to the peculiar version of Gandalf's theme.

I wonder now if he was thinking of a longer version of the track, perhaps relating to the Thrain flashbacks, which will presumably be shown here? If this parts are as detailed as I hope, it's not unthinkable we could get hints of An Ancient Enemy, Moria, Dwarrowdelf - maybe even Balrog material if he's hinted at.

You're probably right, as he'd surely have heard the version we know by that point. But in any case I'm really looking forward to hearing the music for the Thrain flashbacks. I hope what Jay says is 'Thrain's theme' (what we hear near the start of 'On the Doorstep') is developed here.

If all tracks are 'meh' the album is 'meh'! Besides, it's more a fault with the release strategy, going to 2 discs to try and future proof so they don't have to make CRs. Didn't work IMO.

9 months on and I still find it a mixed bag. Most of disc 2 is really good, and I love all of the Smaug stuff. But much of the earlier bits just plod along without me noticing.

Still prefer the single disc OST. I think if we had to seek out the unreleased material from the film, we'd connect to it better.

Man I should check these threads more often. That bit with Quint last month was a fun read!

I don't even remember what that was

You're probably right, as he'd surely have heard the version we know by that point. But in any case I'm really looking forward to hearing the music for the Thrain flashbacks. I hope what Jay says is 'Thrain's theme' (what we hear near the start of 'On the Doorstep') is developed here.

Still don't know why Jason says its Thrains theme when it plays while the dwarves climb a statue of Thror.

The music there is just a variation of the Erebor theme anyway.

I'd be inclined to agree but he seemed pretty adamant about it...I got the impression he has insider info on the matter.

I wouldn't doubt Jason's sources. I'm sure he was told it was Thrain's theme (not much of a theme though), but Shore probably didn't strictly apply it to that.

We'll find out when the EE comes out anyway.

I'm sure he was told it was Thrain's theme, but Shore probably didn't strictly apply it to that.

I would bet The version of A Spell of Concealment written for the Thrain in Dol Guldur scenes probably applies the Erebor theme to Thrain.

*Post edited for clarity*

What the !@#$%^&* does that mean?

The version of A Spell of Concealment written for the Dol Guldur scenes before Thrain was removed.

Someone here has heard this version?

Not that I know of.

I am eager to see how the DoS EE version of Gandalf sleuthing in Dol Guldur will play out and how brief or long the Thrain sequence will be and does it radically affect the overall pacing of the sequence. Plus the new music of course.

CRs are necessary for several reasons:

1. An Unexpected Journey has huge parts that are either unreleased or alternates

2. There are dozens of alternates that we discovered (well, Faleel ;) ) for the first two films alone, god knows how many there are.

3. The music recorded for the EEs is not released.

4. We need those monumental surround sound presentations on DVD.

5. The six Middle Earth scores are the most massive undertaking in film score history, and deserve to be presented this way.

I want to stress point number 5.

I think some people are forgetting edits even to the album soundtrack, 'My Dear Frodo' being the example that springs to mind. It's not just a question of what we hear in the film vs what we hear on the album release.

I think some people are forgetting edits even to the album soundtrack

I don't think anyone is.

I think AUJ has about an hour worth of unreleased material (both used and unused in the film), maybe a bit more.

DOS has about 20 unreleased minutes as of now, and should have about 40 minutes when the EE is released, probably a bit more.

So that would mean at least 1 additional CD for each score (+ the 5.1 DVD), which should be enough to justify a CR release. But again, if people on the web keep on saying the SEs are enough for them, that doesn't encourage CRs releases!

When I say 'people', I mean those on TheOneRing who don't see a need for Complete Recordings. Not 'people' on here of course - you lot are very much clued up on things.

Of course, they are necessary, but that doesn't mean that because of that, they will get released. Especially if the average Joe thinks the Hobbit SEs are more than enough. That will scare the producers. "If we release the CRs, nobody will buy them! They were already satisfied with the SEs! Really, who cares about Hobbit CRs apart from those ungrateful whackos at JWFAN?"

It's the SW prequels UE situation all over again!

Oh, be realistic! The average Joe doesn't even care if an OST is one or two discs. Back in the time, I've known even fans of the LotR films who thought the LotR CRs were unnecessary because the single disc OST were enough. Complete Recordings are for film music fans PLUS a percentage of Joe Everydays. And I doubt you'd make much money from them one way or another.

I think some people are forgetting edits even to the album soundtrack

I don't think anyone is.

I think AUJ has about an hour worth of unreleased material (both used and unused in the film), maybe a bit more.

DOS has about 20 unreleased minutes as of now, and should have about 40 minutes when the EE is released, probably a bit more.

So that would mean at least 1 additional CD for each score (+ the 5.1 DVD), which should be enough to justify a CR release. But again, if people on the web keep on saying the SEs are enough for them, that doesn't encourage CRs releases!

When I say 'people', I mean those on TheOneRing who don't see a need for Complete Recordings. Not 'people' on here of course - you lot are very much clued up on things.

Twitter, not on TORn.