Which was your first Williams Album?

ACME

It was in 1986: E.T. The Extra-terrestrial. I was 15 years old.

I bought my first Williams on cassette because I didn?t have turntable. Later my family bought a Hi-Fi set and I bought again the same album on CD. Today I continue buying versions of this score, vynil or CD. The last one narrated by Michael Jackson.

ACME

;) essay for strings

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; I loved the movie, I loved the music in it, I asked for it for my birthday, and I got it.

-Jason ;) Searching for E.T. E.T. 20th Anniversery cd

Cassette of Jurassic Park. Stole it from my sister :tongue2: The first one I bought was Schindler's List, I believe.

The 1994 Star Wars Anthology

Not only my first John Williams purchase, but my first film score purchase.

-Jason

;) The Lost World (complete)

Star Wars and A Stereo Space Odyssey, a truly wretched album. I think I got it when I was 3 years old, few weeks before Empire Strikes Back opened.

Neil

My first orchestral album was also my first film score album was also my first CD was also my first Williams album was The Star Wars Trilogy (the one with the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra). And I still believe the album is underrated, for I like the interpretations very much.

Marian - who still has the receipt. :music:

Something like John Williams Conducts The Boston Pops. It had Star Wars Main Theme, Princess Leia's Theme, The Imperial March, The Asteroid Belt, Yoda's Theme, the Superman March, the Superman Love Theme, and the Close Encounters Suite.

Star Wars: ANH SE when it came out in 1997. My first non-SW was Superman in May of 2000 (I remeber the date cause it was right after I finshed my freshman year in college). It's been all downhill since :music: .

first album on tape: Jurassic Park - 1993

first album on CD: Return of the Jedi - 1994

First John Williams CD heard: The Phantom Menace (I got it from the library)

First CD of my own: The Lost World (1999)

Justin - :music:

For the umpteen time I've answered the question,it was an LP of the Zubin Metah suite of Star Wars and Close Encounters.It was a gift.The first soundtrack I bought myself is the cassette of the TESB score.

K.M.

Something like John Williams Conducts The Boston Pops.  It had Star Wars Main Theme, Princess Leia's Theme, The Imperial March, The Asteroid Belt, Yoda's Theme, the Superman March, the Superman Love Theme, and the Close Encounters Suite.

"Pops in Space" is the names of the album.

Neil

My mom and dad had Valley of the Dolls which I now possess. I was given Fiddler on the Roof, but my first John Williams score was Towering Inferno, which was a gift from my mom cause she knew I loved skyscrapers.

Joe.

I grew up watching the Evening at Pops shows. Then when I was about 10 or 11 I started taping the music from Superman from the TV on my little recorder ;) And that's where I tarted listening to music by John Williams.

The first thing I ever bought was John Williams conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy with the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra. It was on a cassette.

My first CD was The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration and my latest AOTC :music:

Hector

Far and Away.

After we played this with our brassband, I ordered it at a local store and it took the guy 6 weeks to obtain it! But it was worth waiting...

PetePan

Angela's Ashes

In fact, I won it. The first I bought myself was Schindler's List and that is still one of my favorites!

Morgaine

Nearly Jurassic Park in 1993, but I ended up not buying a Williams album until 1997 (Return of the Jedi - Special Edition).

I came in touch with filmmusic while watching "Born on the Fourth Of July" 1990 in cinema. I was 15 years old and impressed by the Trumpet-solos by Tim Morrison.

One of the next days I went to a music store and bought the CD.

A few weeks later a friend of mine gave me a cassette, which contained the very best themes of the Star Wars Triolgy. I loved the Main Theme, but wasn´t impressed by the rest... But after hearing it twice, I loved every single note of all.

Again a few time later, I recogniced that "Born on the 4th" and "Star Wars" have been composed by one and the same guy. From this point on, I looked for JW-scores in every single music shop I visited.

But it took me many years to find out, who this guy looks and who it is (after all, Internet wasn´t much established at this time). And therefore I also didn´t recognize, that I bought "rare" scores while shopping in Paris ("Spacecamp", "Accidental Tourist")...

So, that´s my story.

I guess that I am lucky. My first movie score album of any kind was Jurassic Park, and I got it in '93. What makes me lucky is that I was about 6 or 7 at the time. :)

~Conor, feeling high and mighty.

1. The Empire Strikes Back: 2 LP set (waaay back in 1980)

2. Star Wars: 2 LP set (and 8 track)

3. Superman: The Movie 2 LP set (2 because me and my bro wore it out)

4. The Black Hole: LP (John Barry)

5. Raiders Of The Lost Ark: LP

6. E.T.: LP

7. Superman 2: LP

I then stopped collecting albums for 10 years after a record store went out of business and kept the money that I gave them for mail-ordering the Return Of The Jedi and Transformers: The Movie soundtrack LPs.

As a high school graduation gift in 1992, I got a CD player and then started getting CDs. The Star Wars Polydor 2 CD set (repro of the 2 LP set) and Gerhardt's ESB were my 1st 2 CDs. That was a LOOOONG time ago (considering I now have hundreds) as I started to hunt down every Williams score that I could find... officially, and UNofficially....

-Chris, Who hasn't had time to put his trading list on this new MB yet... :thumbup: Soon... soon...

1. original Star Wars polydor 8-track

2. original Superman warner bros. 8-track

3. original Raiders Of The Lost Ark Lp.

Dang! I feel old. :jump:

:devil: Welcome To Jurassic Park

First Williams piece I owned was an old cassette my parents gave me when I was really young. 5 I think. It had numerous film scores on it, one being Superman.

But then, I got E.T.

My love of music grew from that moment onward.

• 9 years later...

Hook.

I had the records shop owner record it for me in a cassette from the LP. (I had neither a record player, nor a cd player)

I'm not sure if there were cds after all back then, were they? :lick:

also, I think it was the 2nd soundtrack ever I heard as an album (apart from the film).The first was Kilar's Dracula.

Until then I didn't know that the music of a film is released in albums seperately from the films and i was so happy!!

At first I thought that they only did this for Dracula!! :lick:

My answer isn't terribly original either.

First Williams soundtrack I got was -- if memory serves -- a cassette copy of a friend's CD of JURASSIC PARK, ca. 1993. I had already been aware of Williams for a couple of years before that, though, but only as a name.

The first Williams compact disc I got was, again if memory serves, the Filmworks compilation CD (which I no longer have, unfortunately). Or it could have been a CD upgrade of the same JURASSIC PARK.

My first score ever was again a cassette copy of the TWIN PEAKS CD, ca. 1990(?) and the first soundtrack CD I got was THE COMMITMENTS in 1991. Prior to that, I was mostly into other kinds of music, although the seed was sown with lots of electronic music, concept prog albums and those "LSO Plays Classic Rock" thingies.

To be fair, the first JW album I heard was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer Stone. I was like 10, my parents bought it because my brother & sister & me were such huge fans of the movie… I don’t think I had ever noticed music in films before that.

But this John Williams conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy was the first one I bought on my own, in 2005. Because I had watched ESB for the first time earlier this year, and was struck by the brilliance of the music, especially the Force Theme… (ESB was my second Star Wars movie; the first one was AotC, but I must say that the music had not exactly the same impact in this one… :mellow: )

Then came RotS, WotW, etc.