Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

That colour would be a good choice.

I'd go for something a bit darker to match the other two SEs.

A nifty fan design for DoS for certain.

Actually, that is taken from the cover of one of the non-US versions of the DOS EE.

Ooooh nice.

Yeah, I like it better than the cheap US version (though if it were John Howe/Alan Lee art instead of a screenshot/photoshop job, I would probably like that design/layout a bit better.)

Yeah, I like it better than the cheap US version (though if it were John Howe/Alan Lee art instead of a screenshot/photoshop job, I would probably like that design/layout a bit better.)

The art of those two should be way more on the promotional stuff of the Hobbit films.

That colour would be a good choice.

I'd go for something a bit darker to match the other two SEs.

Mmm... Something like this (Faleel posted this one in the custom covers thread):

LOTRROTKSEgreen_zps5e41f6a9.png

Thought that was one of Faleels fan made covers at first. Seems quite early to be revealing such things.

For reference:

For AUJ, order links for the OSTs went live on Wednesday Sep 26 2012 [original main post that showed those links is now replaced], and the track list and cover art was revealed on Thursday November 1st 2012.

For DOS, order links for the OSTs went live on Friday Sep 27 2013, the cover was revealed on Wednesday October 23rd 2013, and the track list was revealed on Monday November 4 2013

I'll order the US version of the SE again, that's for sure. No more cheap cardboard.

I have to complete my cardboard trilogy!

I might order cardboard version to complete the trilogy, as Incanus said, and place a separate order for three wallet editions.

Oh yeah, as if there was no better way to spend money. ;)

Karol

I am again intrigued will some of the material on the OST be differing from the SE as it did with AUJ or will they choose the route of DoS where they kept all the extra stuff for the SE.

I'm all for the DoS approach. It sucks to have a completely different version for which you would need to buy the regular OST.

Yeah I agree although it would also mean more music. But perhaps not so much that I would want to buy the OST album for those few minutes.

This year for the new themes, though the latter is possible too.

And the score is already written, which Doug can use as reference. And even if changes are made, the direction of the score will likely remain consistent,

I'm all for the DoS approach. It sucks to have a completely different version for which you would need to buy the regular OST.

I agree. However, it would be nice to have a completely different short programme of this score as well.

Just because.

Karol

I would not say the OST is flawless. They could have dropped at-least one rendition of the Nazgul choir in favor of some other music.

But other then that it's pretty damn amazing.

And the lack of History Of The Ring theme can now be explained by the fact that it was mostly tracked into the film.

But then AUJ's OST could have sounded like a disjointed selection of cues like FOTR sometimes did.

FOTR is the OST that has the best flow and is structured more like a 70s-90s classic orchestral soundtrack album. ROTK is the OST that most sounds like a disjointed collection of cues.

I think you just feel that way about FOTR right now because you've been deeply analyzing every second of it and comparing it to CR, rarities, video game, and dvd versions.

The OST did me for years until I found out the CRs existed.

Funny though, when I only had the OSTs I would have said that TTTs was my favourite of the scores but having lived with the CRs for a significant time I think that has switched to Fellowship.

I would not say the OST is flawless. They could have dropped at-least one rendition of the Nazgul choir in favor of some other music.

But other then that it's pretty damn amazing.

And the lack of History Of The Ring theme can now be explained by the fact that it was mostly tracked into the film.

The lack of History of the Ring theme on the OST never really bothered me much apart from the fact that the album doesn't open with it, as all three films do, and the other two OSTs.

But then AUJ's OST could have sounded like a disjointed selection of cues like FOTR sometimes did.

As far as I'm concerned the FOTR OST is flawless. The CR is for when I want more music. Having not spent any time analysing the music in the film and what's missing, just listening to the OST a lot it sounds great.

FOTR OST is a bland presentation of the material. Really truncates the music, robs it of its shining moments, and plays more like a compilation of crudely edited passages rather than the flowing musical journey that is the CR.

The lack of History of the Ring theme on the OST never really bothered me much apart from the fact that the album doesn't open with it, as all three films do, and the other two OSTs.

True, but I'm guessing that opening was conceived only after the FOTR album was cut. So it's not an oversight.

I didn't say it was an oversight, I'm just saying the lack of the HOTR theme has never been the travesty that some make it out to be, personally.

TTT might not follow chronological order, but it presents the soundscape and ideas quite successfully. It's still my favourite of the three OST's.

Karo

ROTK does the best job of presenting the highlights on the OST. But the edit jobs are noticeable. So yeah I agree, TTT has the best OST presentation, plus I prefer the alternates on the OST to the alternates in the FotR OST.

As far as I'm concerned the FOTR OST is flawless. The CR is for when I want more music. Having not spent any time analysing the music in the film and what's missing, just listening to the OST a lot it sounds great.

FOTR OST is a terrible presentation of the material. Really truncates the music, robs it of its shining moments, and plays more like a compilation of crudely edited passages rather than the flowing musical journey that is the CR.

For fuck sake!

Arent you like 18 years old?

You sound like a 75 year old man, always complaining and whining!

The OST is fine. And no of-course it's not complete....

I don't know, I'm just not a fan of the FotR OST. Rubs me he wrong way I guess.

It has nothing to do with the fact that it's incomplete, it just sounds dull in comparison. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I first heard the FOTR score in CR form. There isn't much flow to it, just excerpts of harmonic passages, and not necessarily the best ones either.

TTT might not follow chronological order, but it presents the soundscape and ideas quite successfully. It's still my favourite of the three OST's.

Karo

ROTK does the best job of presenting the highlights on the OST. But the edit jobs are noticeable.

I really love The White Tree and Battle of the Pelennor field edits, but I miss the missing material.

Since Shore's scores are thoroughly conceived as a collection of long, very long pieces, and since they flow so seamlessly in their entirety, brutal and noticeable edits are a given on a 70 minute presentation.

FOTR is the OST that has the best flow and is structured more like a 70s-90s classic orchestral soundtrack album. ROTK is the OST that most sounds like a disjointed collection of cues.

I think you just feel that way about FOTR right now because you've been deeply analyzing every second of it and comparing it to CR, rarities, video game, and dvd versions.

No, its because the the cues on the CR have endings and openings that perfectly merge together forming a flowing musical journey.

The OST sometimes sounds like the musical equivalent of some fans top 18 scenes of the LOTR films.