And the next Oscar host is...

Ricard

You guys don't enjoy it at any level? I'm a movie guy. And not immune to the whole glitz and glamour hubbub. So it's exciting, even if some of the judgements made are utter shit. Maybe I'm extremely superficial or something. Maybe I just really want an Oscar....

Nice choice! For me, however, Harris will always be Dr. Doogie, as much as he has tried to distanciate himself from that image over the years.

I enjoy the Oscars, mostly because I'm fascinated by the whole phenomenon of big-time, global film celebrities gathering together under one roof. Seeing them all together. The show itself -- and who gets the prizes -- I'm not really that interested in. I'm kinda shallow that way, I guess. :)

You guys don't enjoy it at any level? I'm a movie guy. And not immune to the whole glitz and glamour hubbub. So it's exciting, even if some of the judgements made are utter shit. Maybe I'm extremely superficial or something. Maybe I just really want an Oscar....

This.

It's a yearly tradition at my place, with bets and all. Its hard not to buy into the spirit of the affair.

And that last bit too....

I remember watching them all through the night in my teens. They seemed important

I did that in '94, for Spielberg. Then they stopped being important to me after that. In fact I think it's a load of sponsored/corrupt BS these days anyway, if I'm honest.

I remember watching them all through the night in my teens. They seemed important

I did that in '94, for Spielberg. Then they stopped being important to me after that. In fact I think it's a load of sponsored/corrupt BS these days anyway, if I'm honest.

Most network television is.

Everyone here will say they don't give a shit, until Williams wins and then it'll be the greatest thing ever.

it doesn't matter if JW deseves it or not..he must win one for JWfan

Yes, and during his speech, he shall thank each and every JWFAN member!

I want to than King Mark, for inspiring me to push myself further and put off my retirement to score the next Star Wars movies

He he he Ink Anus and TheGayPilgrim!

Oh, goodness.

Is this thread gonna turn into a parade of homo-erotic name puns for various users?

That was you too, huh? I used to wait in anticipation of Oscar night. I got to know the films, the people behind them, the nominees. I remember being so uplifted when they announced a great winner (which, I suppose, means one I agreed with). I felt like I was there with Kevin Costner the night he won for Dances With Wolves.

And then . . . it stopped. I don't know exactly why or how, but they're just not like they used to be anymore. It feels like they do fewer great tributes to the magic of cinema in general, which was a great feature back in the day. It's become very political, very dry, very by-the-numbers. Kinda like movies in general—as Lucas was pointing out in that other thread. Maybe that's related to this. It used to be a big thing when edgy and innovative movies were being recognized by the Academy. These days, you can tell who's going to be nominated, and who's going to win. There are fewer surprises (though we do get them from time to time—Jennifer Lawrence's moment definitely recalled the days of yore).

I've always loved movies. And make no mistake, I still watch the Oscars every year. But nowadays I approach them with emotions lying somewhere between dread, melancholy, and indifference.