RUMOR: Force Awakens OST not releasing until January 2016

Jay

I have a client who works for a very large retailer as their chief buyer who told me last week the soundtrack is slated for release in the second week of January. There are titles for tracks that are considered too revealing of plot points, apparently. Something that she heard direct from the Disney people.

https://www.facebook.com/RebelForceRadio/posts/962531903790211?comment_id=962536243789777&offset=0&total_comments=14&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

Obviously could be total BS....

Mmmmm... I could almost buy that, but... I'm not sure... Maybe, just maybe...

I generally prefer to first listen to a score before watching the film it was written for, so that would be a bit of a bummer for me.

...So why not just re-title the pieces? It's not like "Qui-Gon's Noble End" is that much of a better title than the UE's "The War at Its Darkest." "Heroes Collide" is a better title than "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" anyway.

If they the track titles are too revealing, then why wait until January (assuming they simply couldn't rename the track titles)? The film will be released on December 18. Why not release it the same day or the following week? They know nearly everyone is anticipating this soundtrack and wouldn't hold out until January to make some money off of it.

Yeah, something isn't right. It was hinted some of the surprises, such as Kylo's true identity, may be revealed before the film is released, too. It's very easy to avoid spoilers in track titles, unless if Williams is being stubborn about changing them... :sarcasm:

I honestly hope this is true. It would make the film viewing and eventual soundtrack album listen all the more magical, like old times.

The idea is growing on me. It would be interesting to hear everything for the first time onscreen. I do wish it were being released a little earlier though. Late December, after the release of the movie would be nice.

Well, you don't have to listen to the soundtrack before you see the film... but, of course, people will talking about the score, especially here, and that may be harder to avoid.

If they delay this OST release I think it's another statement of intent. Hearing the music for the first during the movie is the way it ought to be; it would further cement the idea of Star Wars purity in this new attempt at rekindling the old Star Wars magic.

If they delay this OST release I think it's another statement of intent. Hearing the music for the first during the movie is the way it ought to be; it would further cement the idea of Star Wars purity in this new attempt at rekindling the old Star Wars magic.

They do seem to be copying the OT's marketing beat-for-beat. Even the figures look like cheap 70's 80's toys.

Us [entitled] JW fans need remember in ourselves that the greatest music in film was originally discovered during their viewing - when we sat watching the story unfold whilst thinking to ourselves "what is this amazing music I'm subconsciously absorbing??" It was that experience which compelled us to seek the OSTs out.

Chicken or the egg? To the puritan the film always came before the great score.

I wonder how the supposed 2016 release would bode for a 2 CD release of the score. There was pretty significant fan outrage last year with Interstellar when the docking cue wasn't released on the album.

Well,I mean it may cause a delay in producing the OST if it's recorded very latE

Regardless, this is terrible news if it turns out to be true

I imagine they would still record the score as planned if Williams was sick and unable to attend the sessions. However, he was never reported to be sick - just that he is having problems with his back.

Maybe Williams is sick and hasn't recorded any of it this summer. so that why there's a possible delay

Yes, the score won't be recorded until the movie is out. The theatrical release will feature placeholder music by William Ross. The score proper will only be available on CD.

I honestly hope this is true. It would make the film viewing and eventual soundtrack album listen all the more magical, like old times.

The idea is growing on me. It would be interesting to hear everything for the first time onscreen. I do wish it were being released a little earlier though. Late December, after the release of the movie would be nice.

I won't listen to it until I've seen the film anyway. Thing is, I like being able to come home after the cinema and listen to the score before going to bed.

I have a client who works for a very large retailer as their chief buyer who told me last week the soundtrack is slated for release in the second week of January. There are titles for tracks that are considered too revealing of plot points, apparently. Something that she heard direct from the Disney people.

So does that mean someone in the movie confesses or ends nobly?

The FB poster has added more information in regards to his original post:

There is a specific release schedule that all the big retailers have already seen. My friend had a meeting with Disney folks last week. They didn't reveal specifics, but just that generalised info mentioned above. If it's any help, this is for the Australian arm of a U.S. retailer, a name that sort of rhymes with 'market'... But all the merch is having simultaneous (world-wide) release for each wave.

Well,I mean it may cause a delay in producing the OST if it's recorded very latE

Regardless, this is terrible news if it turns out to be true

Terrible? What's so bad about waiting till January?

Damn you, Williams, and your spoilerific titles.

Why can't you just use "The Final Confrontation" like Danny Elfman!?

Also Weepy Doughnuts. ;)

And I am not believing any more rumors like this.

John Williams fans have managed to survive 10 years without a new Star Wars score - and at the time the RotS one was thought to be the last. Having to wait an extra few weeks for this OST is nothing. People like KM who declare this alleged news to be "terrible" need to get a fucking grip on their lives!

I wonder when samples will be released.

Also, what are the chances of a non-spoilerly track being released early?

And why can't they just release the soundtrack the same day or week as the movie? Mid-January seems a bit like overkill in terms of suppressing spoilers considering the movie will have already been out for several weeks by then.

Also, I seriously doubt that the "track titles" (as OP, Matt Cooper put it) would be enough to delay the soundtrack. Why not just change the titles themselves? Also, why would they have track titles before the score is even done recording.

The putrid smell of BS is wafting from Matt Cooper's general direction.

I'd take all this with more than a grain of salt.

Surely there are retailer schedules that must be respected, but considering the movie is coming really during Christmastime, it's more than possible that some items will hit in January to avoid overcrowding shelves. Also, considering physical media is not where the money is nowadays for record companies, I guess it's more than likely the score will be available in digital download format in December, while physical CDs will be released a few weeks later.

But, again, it's still bit too early. Let's patience a little bit more, December will be here much faster than we'll realize :)

John Williams fans have managed to survive 10 years without a new Star Wars score - and at the time the RotS one was thought to be the last. Having to wait an extra few weeks for this OST is nothing. People like KM who declare this alleged news to be "terrible" need to get a fucking grip on their lives!

Spoken like an Olivarez!

Spoilerific track titles have never been a problem before. Whoever named the last track on the Sixth Sense soundtrack for example, has some explaining to do.

And why would they miss the lucrative Christmas market for the CD?

I kinda feel that the day a composer can delay the release of a soundtrack because he wants track titles which spoil plot points, is when he's got too much control. Just... change them!