Hans Zimmer's The Lion King (2CD Legacy Collection)

Giftheck

All the positive word of mouth this release is getting has let to me deciding that I'll listen to this new release. Maybe even tonight.

Is there a different mix for the Elton John songs at the end too, or just the songs sung by the characters of the film?

No. Just like The Morning Report and Warthog Rhapsody, those are basically the same as previous releases.

I listened to (most of) this album the other day in the car. I skipped the two songs you named plus all the alternates, and skipped straight to the Elton John songs after the score. I didn't hear any difference in them with respect to what I was used to, but I heard a lot of differences in the score and movie songs. There's this one strange screeching sound in the stampede track that made me believe a car was going to hit me.

All the positive word of mouth this release is getting has let to me deciding that I'll listen to this new release. Maybe even tonight.

You really should. It is like hearing the score for the first time, and in the way it was meant to be heard.

You really should. It is like hearing the score for the first time, and in the way it was meant to be heard.

Well, I've never listened to any version of this score, so that's not an issue

...Wow.

Apart from the film, I only listened to the 16 minutes of edited score offered on the 1994 original soundtrack. I was not pleased. Until now, I was hoping Disney would release Hans Zimmer's complete score to the film. It is great; the music as heard in the film (the way it was mixed in the finished film) is nothing compared to how all of the music was remastered for this release. This release presents the music as it was meant to sound, conserving the original recordings in remastered quality.

...Wow.

It's on his bucket list.

...Wow.

Apart from the film, I only listened to the 16 minutes of edited score offered on the 1994 original soundtrack. I was not pleased. Until now, I was hoping Disney would release Hans Zimmer's complete score to the film. It is great; the music as heard in the film (the way it was mixed in the finished film) is nothing compared to how all of the music was remastered for this release. This release presents the music as it was meant to sound, conserving the original recordings in remastered quality.

Have you ever thought about going into record company publicity/marketing?

Have you ever thought about going into record company publicity/marketing?

Not really. I am just a happy consumer. :)

Actually, it is not a kid's movie. It appeals to people of all ages. Why else is The Lion King , to this day, the number one highest grossing and successful (both critically and commercially) traditionally animated film in history? It has a story that reaches out to all people, it has great characters, excellent acting, beautiful artistry, and fantastic music.

I just didn't grow up on these Disney movies like you guys all did so I never had a reason to listen to their soundtracks.

The only one I've heard is Mulan cause it's Jerry

Jay, mark these down now on your to check out list:

- The Land Before Time - Horner

- The Prince of Egypt - Zimmer

- The Secret of NIMH - Goldsmith

If you listen to these you'll wish you had seen the films as a kid. :)

Actually, it is not a kid's movie. It appeals to people of all ages. Why else is The Lion King , to this day, the number one highest grossing and successful (both critically and commercially) traditionally animated film in history? It has a story that reaches out to all people, it has great characters, excellent acting, beautiful artistry, and fantastic music.

Sorry, I left this out of my kids' movie post:

94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6.jpg

I just didn't grow up on these Disney movies like you guys all did so I never had a reason to listen to their soundtracks.

The only one I've heard is Mulan cause it's Jerry

Mulan never did anything for me, probably because I never had any interest in seeing the movie so I never gave its album a second listen. But I couldn't imagine my childhood without The Brave Little Toaster, The Land Before Time, and An American Tail, among others, and I found great joy tracking their soundtracks down on Napster in college. The Lion King came out when I was 13 but it was one of the first two CDs my family owned, so it was listened to to death, and I still have very fond nostalgic feelings for it, as also with Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and probably The Little Mermaid to a lesser degree.

Sorry, I left this out of my kids' movie post:

94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6.jpg

Cool.

I think there might be more music in Hakuna Matata?

Definately it is almost one minute longer, the non-vocals part where timon and pumba show simba to eat bugs is extended.

You know Stavros I think you're a good guy. But you've gotta open your mind when it comes to our boy Hansy Zim, my man. The cat lays down some sweet sound that you're just not listening deep enough to pick up on brother.

*inhales deeply through bong*

Like Hans is sayin' the same stuff that your boy Johnny says just in a different way you dig? Like they're both drawing from that same well of universal emotion, but what comes out is just different because we're all different man and we're all unique and beautiful in our own way.

*coughs*

You feel me Stan? John is like all "ohhh, I'm feelin' some deep shit right now so I'm gonna write mad dense music to capture those ineffable feelings I'm getting hit with and maybe contemplate some fuckin' trees while I'm at it" but man Hans is just like "fuck it I'm gonna write some dank beats that'll make the panties drop on the ladies and the balls drop on the lads" but they both feelin' that same shit from the same place yeah, you pickin' up what I'm laying down here?

*lights a marijuana cigarette*

Stew, you feel it? Can you feel that? Can you feel the love tonight man? Those funky Teutonic harmonies homie, you feel that diminished shit, that minor buzz?

*coughs violently*

Spin some Zim dude, get that Gladiator pumpin', that Lion King roarin', Batman and Spiderman and Superman and pirates and thin lines and dreams and Tricky Dick and detectives and samurais and church conspiracies, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, are you not fuckin' entertained??????

*consumes LSD-saturated sugar cube*

Steve, you are rain, let Zimmer's music be your cloud.

• 1 month later...

Little interview featuring Hans Zimmer and Mark Mancina (along with the directors and producers of the film) and a special highlight is when Hans talks about how he approached Mufasa's Death:

http://www.blindvisionfilms.com/CLIENT_LOUNGE/LEGACY/Lion_King_Legacy_RoundTable_RC03-LAN.mp4

Can't embed it though, so if anyone could help I would be very much appreciated :)

He talks a bit about this score in the "Hans Zimmer In Hollywood" documentary on YouTube. It's partially in German though. Great stuff, especially to see him interacting with his colleagues at MV.

Here's part one. Can't remember which part has the LK stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Here here ! I saw the film again and what a marvelous blend of visual and musical artistry it still is. Zimmer should never feel bad about most of his 90s work. Still my preferred decade from him.

It's not that he feels bad about his work from the 90s, more like he's unhappy with how many of those scores are mixed. Jay Rifkin seems to have taken demo elements and added them on as well as mixing out certain instruments and chorus, thus leaving the final mix as something that is counter to Zimmer's own intentions. That's why this set is this way and not the 1994 mix.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think crossfades have no place in a score release, unless it was edited that way in the film, which is for discussion.

I agree. I hate when tracks are cross faded on albums but weren't that way in the film.

Lol.

Aside from the loudness the only pitfall of this set to me is the lack of alternate cues as track separation is fairly easy to do. Three alternates were recorded, and from what I gather another two were written.