Headphones

bob23

Not anything Sennheiser. They produce plenty of garbage headphones in that price range. I have a pair that I leave to stretch out when I'm not using them so they don't crush my head. It would also depend on your listening environment. You could get several pair of Koss headphones with good sound quality suitable for portable and home listening for under $100.

For earbuds, I've only ever been happy with the Apple ones that come with phones/iPods.  I fucking hate the kind that jam into your ear canal, they make me feel muffled and off balance.  And the Apple ones are the only ones I've tried that fit my ear comfortably.

If only the EarPods weren't stupid as hell and overpriced.

51 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Not anything Sennheiser. They produce plenty of garbage headphones in that price range. I have a pair that I leave to stretch out when I'm not using them so they don't crush my head. It would also depend on your listening environment. You could get several pair of Koss headphones with good sound quality suitable for portable and home listening for under $100.

Actually, the Koss ones I got last year basically crush my head. Also, the cord is messed up so you have to plug it in just the right way (very difficult) or the sound is terrible. I barely use them anymore. Maybe they were just a bad pair? I mostly stick with my cheap Phillips in-ear buds I got this summer. It was my first experience with the in-ear kind, and was really weird at first, but I'm pretty used to it now. Although for the last few days I've been bothered by little blips and blops, presumably cord noises or something. Haven't really looked into how to remedy that yet. 

I like the SportaPros as well. The KSC75 are interchangeable with that headband and cheaply replaceable if you are prone to having things break. They also have a nice dated 1980s or 90s look as opposed to ugly modern designs.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Nah, the Koss Porta are great for the price (around 30-40$). Earplugs are evil in any way, shape or incarnation. 

https://www.koss.com/headphones/on-ear-headphones/porta-pro

Yeah, those aren't the ones I had. Maybe I should get those at some point. 

Or SportaPro. They're slightly cheaper. Perhaps more comfortable. The KSC75 are pretty bitchin' even without a headband. They're under $20, good sound quality, comfy to wear despite the weird-looking "ear clip" design.

Whatever Apple considers a generic ear hole size, I guess I have it.  They've always been super comfortable and secure in my ears, at least since they moved to that more funnel-like shape.

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Apple earbuds were crappy 12 years ago, but I think they've been decent enough for my purposes for at least 5 years.  When was the last time you tried a pair, Stefan?

I owned both the plastic generic ones and the fancier soft ones. Sound is decent. But overpriced for what you get.

Yeah I'd never buy them if I wasn't buying Apple products that come with them.  The EarPods are probably the most laughably overpriced product Apple's ever released, at least relative to their worth and usefulness and how easy it'd be to lose them.

I prefer the convenience of earbuds and I've never found another I like more and I've tried a lot.  I'll admit it's very limiting how much I hate the kind that you have to jam in your ear canal, that seems to be the only kind most companies make now.

5 minutes ago, Trent B said:

The headphones that comes with the Samsung Galaxy S8 are awesome and sound perfect for film scores IMHO.

These, right?

Untitled-1-1200x675.jpg?width=960

I just can't handle that piece you have to jam down your ear canal.  I need buds that let outside sound in, too weird otherwise.

It's just feels unnatural to me.  When you listen to music through speakers or on-ear headphones or freakin' live instrument performance the sound is not piped directly to your eardrums.  Outside sounds can come in.

I agree with Disco Stu!

On 8/31/2017 at 11:58 AM, Stefancos said:

Oh Koray! There's so much better out there.

Better than the days when I thought nothing could sound better than my laptop speakers, right?

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I agree with Disco Stu!

Better than the days when I thought nothing could sound better than my laptop speakers, right?

I thought you were vermin because of that for a very long time. 

Apple EarPods are pretty sweet for $30, if they fit your ear. Not as good as a $10 Koss though in terms of pure sound. 

But they’re practical, stylish, small, and have iPhone controls, so that’s pretty solid.

Apple’s AirPods meanwhile are the best wireless headphones you can get for the money. Period. Unless they don’t fit your ears, in which case you’ll spend more money on a wireless headphone that won’t sound or work as good. 

27 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

Apple’s AirPods meanwhile are the best wireless headphones you can get for the money. Period. Unless they don’t fit your ears, in which case you’ll spend more money on a wireless headphone that won’t sound or work as good. 

I think this is true but I still think it's ridiculous there's no option to connect them to make it easier to keep them together.  And $160 is just ridiculous for what they are.  I think 60-70 is more right.

I don't wanna carry a block around in my pockets; real estate is limited!.  For years I've just been winding my earbuds around my hand before shoving them in my pocket.  Much less space.  Besides I'm taking them on and off all the time throughout the day, I don't wanna have to get a dumb block out every time.

I've also got these which sound great for film scores.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B017KE9KOU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504316768&sr=8-4&keywords=Samsung+bluetooth

Although sometimes I gotta be careful with them. They are magnetic and if they get a little to close to my pacemaker it tends to set off the metal detector deal. That's the only draw back other than that they are worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

My Apple EarPods broke recently and I bought a replacement pair. I think they're good value for €30. They're a good size and fit for my ears, the sound quality is decent for the price, and the jack actually fits through my stupid TFA Stormtrooper case. 

The AirPods are the one Apple product I can't justify. I'm sure they're excellent but €170 is a lot for headphones. 

I need to get some wireless ones for running to go with my new Watch but I'll be looking to spend €25 or so because who needs great sound quality for running?

I just bought some AirPods because the cords on my standard pair have begun to annoy me in all their tangleness. I didn’t realize that the cool contact charging case isn’t out yet though and I’d have to buy that again at a later date. Oh well. 

Received the AirPods today. Pricey for what they are but damn if they aren’t awesome. Instantly connected when the case is opened and the sensors know when they’re in your ears. Pop one out and music pauses. Pop it in, and it continues to play.