Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

At least he's better than Nathan Fillion. I hate that guy.

To me he'll forever be the guy that cried in Saving Private Ryan and that's it.

I'm mildly optimistic with Kasdan's involvement (might change my tune pending TFA) and that these Lord/Miller guys seem to have found some weird niche making quality flicks out of awful, hacky ideas (21 Jump Street movie, Lego movie). Could be fun.

Pratt is older now than Ford was in '77. They need someone younger.

I don't find this idea interesting. But I like more or less the idea for Rogue One.

Opposite for me. Rogue one at least sounds like the plotting could be cool.

Han Solo's background remaining mysterious or unspoken is much more intriguing to me than seeing it.

I feel like they never set out to make Han Solo cool, it just sort of happened. But these fanboy service films will try to make the characters cool and potentially fail miserably.

The idea sounds awful on paper, but the talent involved makes me very intrigued about the whole thing. If they manage to make a good film out of this, they are worthy of respect

You don't see that River Phoenix charisma these days. Everybody cried when Heath Ledger died (it even became a bizarre case of mass hysteria) but I regret River's death much more.

Alex

Well, Ledger had just come off of a major Oscar nod and what turned out to be a huge fan-favorite populist role (eventually Oscar winning). So I feel like Ledger was somewhat more loved than Phoenix in the film community, at least during the specific period of his career when he passed.

All the same, one big difference between the reactions to the two actors' deaths: the Internet. Phoenix's death would likely have been treated similarly to Ledger's had it happened today. People just have more venues to express their feelings now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was recently reading over a Wired article (http://www.wired.com/2015/11/building-the-star-wars-universe/) when I came across this:

OK, now: Flux capacitor, Tardis, Omni, whatever—we jump forward to 2012. Kasdan is talking to Lucas again, and Kennedy too, and they want him to write another—another!—Star Wars. It turns out Lucas has been sitting on a whole crop of ideas. “Pick,” they tell him. Kasdan chooses something about Han Solo when he was a kid. “Because Han is my favorite character,” Kasdan says.

Does this mean the young Han Solo anthology film will be a Lucas story (at least partially), unlike the Force Awakens? 

The only fact I know about Lucas writing or planning a younger Han Solo story, was his aborted introduction in Revenge of the Sith, where he was to be shown in Kashyyyk as a 10 year old boy.

han_solo_star_wars_concept_art.jpg

I wouldn't say when I watched the OT that Han Solo was supposed to be an entire decade older than Luke and Leia!

And I saw ROTS once in the theater in 2005 and have practically managed to forget the whole miserable experience

Yup. Just two decades. Luke is about 19 when he goes off with Ben Kenobi.

Which makes it kinda weird that a lot of people are shown to be dismissive of the Jedi religion when there was A MASSIVE JEDI TEMPLE COMPLETE WITH JEDI PEACE FORCE IN THE REPUBLIC CAPITOL not two decades ago.

Oh hey, you're right!  When Star Wars was filmed in the spring of 1976, Harrison Ford was 33, Mark Hamill was 24, and Carrie Fisher was 19!

6 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Yup. Just two decades. Luke is about 19 when he goes off with Ben Kenobi.

Which makes it kinda weird that a lot of people are shown to be dismissive of the Jedi religion when there was A MASSIVE JEDI TEMPLE COMPLETE WITH JEDI PEACE FORCE IN THE REPUBLIC CAPITOL not two decades ago.

Yep. That's like you and I talking about Bill Clinton's time in office as if it was a hundred years ago.

My fear is that this movie is going to be a macro version of the Last Crusade opening (origin of the whip, origin of the fear of snakes, origin of the hat).  I don't need to see a movie where Han meets Chewie, wins the Falcon from young Lando, runs the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs, buys his black vest, and parks his bus in Mos Eisley at the end.  If the movie has to go into origin bits that we know about (and IMO it doesn't, really), I hope it only does one (maybe saving Chewie during some smuggling run), and not a bunch of them within two hours.

I don't know if Kasdan will follow the expanded universe regarding Solo's Imperial career, but it's an interesting plot. I just hope for a good story, without that Guavian Death Gang and Kanjiklub kind of bussiness.