You don't think Star Wars is a colorful, movie and character wise? Golden robots, azure blue skies with pink-ish hue, princesses, little people, disco light sabers, ...

1977cap41_zps2f4b6db3.jpg

Star Wars ... How I remember it ... (before Lucas drained all the color out of it)

Guardians Of The Galaxy needs to connect the young and old. Small children will cheer and applaud for the raccoon while adults will ponder on the deeper meaning of it all. Incanus will denounce all that is Smaug, create a separate Guardians subforum, and summon all the fans of the film to come and post at JWFan! 2014 will be another interesting year for us.

Alex

You don't think Star Wars is a colorful, movie and character wise? Golden robots, azure blue skies with pink-ish hue, princesses, little people, disco light sabers, ...

1977cap41_zps2f4b6db3.jpg

Star Wars ... How I remember it ... (before Lucas drained all the color out of it)

That's how "colorful" might have looked in the 70's. But if a modern audience saw Star Wars now for the first time it would look underdtated, gritty, even dark.

Guardians Of The Galaxy isnt made for people who saw Star Wars in the 70's.

Have you read Schwartz's comment? The audience have grown accustomed to gritty and dark science fiction movies.That's why they want this one to be bright, colorful and pulpy. Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and Star Wars were bright, colorful and pulpy, then came Alien and Blade Runner and changed sci-fi into dark and gritty.

Alex

Moreso then Star Wars?

Have you read Schwartz's comment? The audience have grown accustomed to gritty and dark science fiction movies.That's why they want this one to be bright, colorful and pulpy. Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and Star Wars were bright, colorful and pulpy, then came Alien and Blade Runner and changed sci-fi into dark and gritty.

Alex

You of course forget, or choose to ignore the fact that Flash Gordon was released some years after Alien, and that Buck Rogers was a TV show.

But is dark, gritty sci-fi aimed at adults and colorful, poppy sci-fi aimed at children?

As far as I'm concerned Inception was aimed at the same teenage demographic as Star wars was.

You of course forget, or choose to ignore the fact that Flash Gordon was released some years after Alien

No, I didn't. I don't see the point.

and that Buck Rogers was a TV show.

It was a TV movie released in theaters.

You claim Sci-fi was colorful and pulpy before and that all of that changed after Alien and Blade Runner!

Alien was released before Flash Gordon, some years before actually. So it's dark and grittiness didn't stop it from being made.

• 1 month later...

I'm really looking forward to this one. It looks so bizarre. I thought about picking up some of the comics, but instead I'll just see it without knowing much at all. The extra bit at the end of Thor: The Dark World was brillaint.

Looks more like Star Wars than anything Lucas did with the prequels. If this is a direction where they want to take the new SW movies, I'd definitely approve.

As for Guardians, looks like is will be a lot of fun and I hope it lives up to the opportunity.

Looks all the same to me. Typical CGI movie! Longer trailer shows signs of Whedon (-esque) humor though. Might be fun after all.

Alex

I agree, definite Whedon vibe. Might be a fun popcorn flick.

Meh... That was one of my most anticipated movies of 2014, but I find that trailer rather average.

It's a Marvel film! I mean...dude...

Meh... That was one of my most anticipated movies of 2014, but I find that trailer rather average. The humour seems heavy-handed, the visuals look run-of-the-mill, and overall, it doesn't seem to offer anything really new (apart from the racoon).

I'll wait to see how this turns out, but this trailer has dampened my excitement for the film quite a bit. I'll still watch it for the racoon and the tree guy, though...

The trailer looks exactly how I imagined it. I told you BB!

What can I do when good advice falls on deaf ears?

To its credit, this looks like it might be better than the Avengers.

I know, I was talking about the Boal and that oldest of coots, KK.

Hey, in my defence, all I said was the trailer gave me exactly what I expected of it!

It was BB who was hyping it up to be the next great adventure sci-fi flick out there! All I told him was that this was going to be your typical Marvel fare. And as I said, it does look more interesting than the Avengers.

And to add to that, DoS is hardly the only thing I get excited for here.

KK. is like a withered tree which has stood to long in barren soil. Long bereft of it's leaves, the icey winds blazing though it's hardened branches.

2daycyh3_zpsf32e4c82.jpg

I used to be different man, I swear! I used to be the happiest man on Earth....