Musical sounds you hate

Quintus

Goldsmith's synthetic farts!

Booooh!

The only synthetic farts I hate are those on "Legend". I don't understand how they can be magical or fantastic. Then again, it's the eighties, what do I know...

Aside from that, I love the sf on Hoosiers and Gremlins.

I can't think of that many musical sounds that I 'hate'. It's more a matter of how they are used. Not the biggest fan of bagpipe music in itself, but when used appropriately (like BRAVEHEART), it can be excellent. Used to really dislike the recorder (due to misuse as a class instrument in primary school), but when you hear it in JANE EYRE, you cannot help but love it. Love synth music in all forms and fashion, but not the way Goldsmith used them (the farts, the awkward incorporation with orchestra). And so on.

But there are certain film music 'effects' I've never been able to listen to alone, like horror stingers or long, sustained chords for suspense scenes (lots of tenuti strings etc.). Or extreme mickey-mousing. Things that are too minimalistic. Stuff like that.

The Drum Kit(set?). Mostly in popular music. + Noisy Electric guitar.

Put that together with oom-pah oom-pah(Abba/german beer drinking music) baseline, my head will explode.

Also:

--Pan Flute

--Richard Cleyderman-piano

--Rap

--Alan Menken

Oh, have to check it out.. :wink:

Sorry about that Abba bashing... they were brilliant ( if they would have changed the monotonic baseline...)

let's just leave it at "they were brilliant"!

haha oh god... reminds me of when I was about 12-13 and refused to wear any clothes that weren't black.

My younger brother (now 24) likes Children of Bodom. I think they're fine myself, although I much rather prefer satirical, heavy gothic/industrial metal like Rammstein (of which I am a huge fan).

As for ABBA, I don't like everything they did, but their last album THE VISITORS (1982) is brilliant art pop and points forward to Björn and Benny's equally brilliant CHESS musical.

The pan flute has gotten a lot of bad rep over the years, mostly due to the cheesy PAN PIPE MOODS compilations. But again, when used appropriately, it can be really effective and beautiful. Like Morricone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA.

My younger brother (now 24) likes Children of Bodom. I think they're fine myself, although I much rather prefer satirical, heavy gothic/industrial metal like Rammstein (of which I am a huge fan).

then I guess he also likes dimmu borgir? they're norwegian, aren't they?

I'm not really into metal these days, but as a kid, growing up with two older brothers, listening to CoB (and rammstein as well) came pretty naturally. I still like the song sehnsucht though :) have you ever seen them live?

then I guess he also likes dimmu borgir? they're norwegian, aren't they?

I'm not really into metal these days, but as a kid, growing up with two older brothers, listening to CoB (and rammstein as well) came pretty naturally. I still like the song sehnsucht though :) have you ever seen them live?

I'm not sure about Dimmu Borgir. May be a little too 'speedy' for him.

Yes, I saw Rammstein here in Oslo two years ago. Massive show with lots of pyro and lights and whatnot. Me and my mates were really getting into the mood, as exemplified by this picture with myself (left) and a friend of mine that was taken during the concert (it's funny coz it looks like a Rammstein album cover):

http://a3.sphotos.ak...4_4157611_n.jpg

So, you were a bit of goth girl in your teenage years, Alice?

hehe, I've heard they're supposed to be great live. your friends looks really excited : D

haha goth girl! nah, for a period of time I just listened to a lot of metal and wore black jeans, black tank tops and black chuck taylors... but then I started to wear real girly clothes, listened to girly pop music and (surprisingly enough?) played a lot of CS... haha good ol' confusing youth

Horner's god-awful native flute squeal thing. Is there a musical term for that?

Are you talking about the shakuhachi?

Dada-dadada-dada-dá! Dada-dadada-dada-dá!

That's the danger motif. So the danger motif played on shakuhachi would be the ultimate pain for Mr. Big!

U2 music.

Does this mean you also hate Coldplay? They're basically U2 without the politicizing and decades of (ir)relevance.

don't know anything they have done. have they any hits?

Dada-dadada-dada-dá! Dada-dadada-dada-dá!

That's the danger motif. So the danger motif played on shakuhachi would be the ultimate pain for Mr. Big!

I would like to see shakuhachi player trying the danger motif. Especially a rapid variation. :lol:

--Pan Flute

--Rap

Pan flute? Is that the Indian style flute?

I will agree with you on Rap. It's annoying to be playing Call Of Duty, in a lobby waiting for a match to start and someone joins blaring their idiotic Rap music over their blue tooth. It's even more annoying when they join late right before the match starts, so you can't mute them until the match starts.

I'm talking about when a pan flute intentionally overblows it and produces a high pitched squeal that sort of slides down in pitch.

U2 music.

Does this mean you also hate Coldplay? They're basically U2 without the politicizing and decades of (ir)relevance.

don't know anything they have done. have they any hits?

Viva La Vida and Clocks are the big hits that come to mind. I may have been too harsh on them, Coldplay isn't that bad.

What really bothers me is fake choir substituted for live recordings in the soundtrack release. I'm looking at The Last Airbender and Alice in Wonderland... especially the latter. The choir was recorded in London (and orchestra in L.A.), so I'm sure re-use fees weren't the problem.

And badly intonated or flubbed brass lines. Mark McKenzie's Warlock 2 suffered that problem.

I'm talking about when a pan flute intentionally overblows it and produces a high pitched squeal that sort of slides down in pitch.

Yeah, that's the shakuhachi, not the pan flute. Horner is a fan of that instrument. Personally, I don't mind it myself. In fact, it's a nice trademark sound of his.

• 2 years later...

The first 15 seconds of that song features an awful but thankfully rarely used synth sample which I detest no matter how good a song or piece of music might be inspite of it. The crap Doogie Howser theme had a similar version of it

Its a sound which screams cheese and tackiness and I hate it.

That's the infamous Electric Piano preset from the Yamaha DX7.

For me it's the chipmunk vocals in a lot of Hip-Hop and club music.