The Battle of the Five Armies SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

gkgyver

Bits from the trailers that didn't show up in the film and that may end up in the EE:

1. Dwarves riding into attack on great battle rams,

2. Some dwarves from Thorin's company ride on a charion over a frozen river

3. Dwarf warriors shooting from giant ballistas

4. Thorin's line "Everything I did, I did for them"

5. Gandalf's line "You have to ask yourself one question: how will this day end?"

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?guest=126137237&do%3Dpost_view_flat%3Bsb%3Dpost_time%3Bso%3DDESC%3Bpost%3D805058=View+Flat+Mode#805058

"Bilbo's right" is also gone but "you cannot see what you have become" is still there.

"Those who survived and those who did not" is also gone.

Yeah, he obviously cut a lot since the trailers.

I don't remember "When faced with death, what can anyone do" either but I could be wrong about that.

Bard falling off the roof and sticking an arrow into the slates is gone as well I think.

Studios must have really been pressuring him cut it short...

I'm thinking maybe the studio executives told PJ to "cut the crap out" and misunderstood what they meant by that...

I don't think PJ can identify what's crap and what's not anymore...

Well looks like the trailer didn't reveal everything like most trailers these days do. :P

Some shots looked CG other looked real. I imagine he's a mixture of both. I don't think I'd have known he was CGI if I hadn't be told.

Bilbo:

What role does Radagast play in the film?

How does Gandalf end up with Radagast's staff?

Is Gollum mentioned at all?

Is Old Bilbo shown at all?

Bilbo:

I am not Bilbo, but:

#1 Small one, he gets a line, a user on Torn thinks his scene was shortened with ADR.

#4 Yes, at the end.

Bilbo:

#1 Minimal. Gadalf contacts with Radagast in Quenya. He shows up with the sled at Dol Guldur and takes Gandalf to Rosgabel but Gandalf doesn't stay. He looks for a horse immediately. There probably is more to go here in the EE.

#2 Never explained. He just has a staff when you see him ride off.

#3 Nope.

#4 Yes but I don't want to say anymore. I thought the way they included him was brilliant and brought a little tear to my eye but that's all I'm saying.

The credits of the film are like ROTK? With Alan Lee sketches?

Yes indeedy. The transition from film to credits is quite nice!

#4 Yes but I don't want to say anymore. I thought the way they included him was brilliant and brought a little tear to my eye but that's all I'm saying.

It's funny that a TRON member predicted that scene more than a year ago!

fixed.

Who the fuck are you anyway? You don't have an avatar. You're a nobody.

All the cool kids don't have avatars these days. Only wankers have avatars, especially Link ones

Who the !@#$%^&* are you anyway? You don't have an avatar. You're a nobody.

All the cool kids don't have avatars these days. Only wankers have avatars, especially Link ones

Wanna say that again?

3 for me but if I can make it 4 I will!

It's funny that a TORN member predicted that scene more than a year ago!

Yeah, now that I've seen it I can't imagine it playing out any other way. It is, IMO, perfect.

Hmm, that review seems to point out many of the problems I suspected this film would have.

It seems with these films, PJ just shot a bunch of cool scenes and set-pieces, but didn't have a very good plan of how he was going to put it all together. And what you end up with are films that is just a string of scenes and sequences, but don't play as a good film.

And unfortunately, this ultimately reflects in the scores, which play more as various action set pieces than the more unified wholesomeness of scores like RotK.

Blame Warner Bros and distributors for getting this so late. But for once it is this way around. Usually we are the ones to suffer!

I am seeing this 2D btw. No gimmicks for me!

He did the best he could for the film. He scored some beautiful choral passages in between, but I just don't think there's enough emotional resonance in the content of the film for the music to shine.

Plus, with the first disc the album producers seem to be focusing on the Gathering of the Clouds and Dragon Sickness music, and the action music in the second.

(And it seems most of the music on the OST is the theatrical version music (Yes I am hoping that the EE music has some more character moment music!) )

One of the problems I have with this trilogy is that it's never clear who the real bad guy is, and therefore, what they are facing. In the first film Azog seems to be the main antagonist (personal issues with Thorin). In the second film he dissappears and the focus seems to be on the Dragon. Then again, the third film deals with Smaug in the opening sequence and we don't know what they are facing anymore, and it becomes a rehash of LOTR , with an army of trolls sent by Sauron once again.

Greed! Azog, the Dragon, and all that are just manifestations of that!

Or at least thats something like what I read on TORN ;)