Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Why does SUH, out of all people, wants to know if its new or not when he specifically said he didn't want to listen to any bit from the third score before seeing the film?

Because I wasn't expecting to find any new music...

So when I thought I found something new, I decided to share it.

Well it was nice of you SUH. Too bad it was not new per se.

Let's hope we'll get some samples soon enough.

http://www.amazon.fr/The-Hobbit-bataille-cinq-arm%C3%A9es/dp/tracks/B00OM8BWO4/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

Disque : 1

1. Fire and water

2. Shores of the long lake

3. Beyond sorrow and grief

4. Guardians of the three

5. The ruins of dale

6. The gathering of the clouds

7. Mithril

8. Bred for war

9. A thief in the night

10. The clouds burst

11. Battle for the mountain

Disque : 2

1. The darkest hour

2. Sons of durin

3. The fallen

4. Ravenhill

5. To the death

6. Courage and wisdom

7. The return journey

8. There and back again

9. Ironfoot

10. The last goodbye - Billy Boyd

11. Dragon-sickness

12. Thrain

Wow!

The final two tracks on disc 2 look like leftover theme presentations from DOS. I wonder what they are doing there?

Awesome!

Though this appears to be the shortest release of the 3.

It is the shortest film of the six. Also, just because there are less tracks doesn't mean it's necessary short - the average track length could be longer.

Awesome!

Longer tracks?

I hope so!

Guardians of the three must refer to Elrond, Galadriel, and Gandalf, who have the three elven rings.

Yup, makes sense.

Awesome!

It is the shortest film of the six.

Shorter than DoS? You sure?

"Ironfoot" appears to be the End Credits - here's the track listing of the Standard OST, also per Amazon FR

Disque : 1

1. Fire and water
2. Shores of the long lake
3. Beyond sorrow and grief
4. Guardians of the three
5. The ruins of dale
6. The gathering of the clouds
7. Mithril
8. Bred for war
9. A thief in the night
10. The clouds burst
11. Battle for the mountain

Disque : 2

1. The darkest hour
2. Sons of durin
3. The fallen
4. Ravenhill
5. To the death
6. Courage and wisdom
7. The return journey
8. There and back again
9. The last goodbye - Billy Boyd
10. Ironfoot

http://www.amazon.fr/The-Hobbit-bataille-cinq-armées/dp/tracks/B00OM8BWPS/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

The last two cues sound interesting. Wonder what they'll be about. Suites perhaps?

The final two tracks on disc 2 look like leftover theme presentations from DOS. I wonder what they are doing there?

Too many instantaneous posts to read through dude!

But yes, possible DoS theme demos. Unless we have some Thrain flashbacks or something. And who knows, "dragon-sickness" could refer to Thorin's growing madness? Maybe we'll still hear some of those sick breathing chords after the worm is dead!

Is that you named the alternating chords?

And I didn't say it'd be a new theme, but I'm saying we might still hear it after Smaug's death?

I'm sure it will continue to represent Thror's Greed as it does in DOS.

BTW, it's odd they swapped the position of "Ironfoot" between the Standard and SE OST. On the stand OST, it acts as the end credits, appearing after the song. On the SE OST, it appears before the song, with the 2 bonus tracks coming after. Unless someone typed the SE tracklist into Amazon FR wrong.

Also, This is the first of the 3 OSTs to not have the SE feature a new score cue within the main program.

I wonder how complete the SE OST is, and how much longer it will be than the Standard OST

Spreadsheet updated:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdHdFUExoRi1GMjlxRjl6V0hXY2JKU1E&output=html

I think Rich just points out, and quite rightfully so, that there isn't a bigger difference between the two sets. And that is something we all agree on, anyway.

Karoo

But there is a bigger difference this year than last year, in terms of additional tracks.

But in general yea, I think the standard OSTs should have been 1 disc the whole time.

This isn't barely related to this thread, but I just want to say I just spent $300 to replace my broken FotR CR with a new cellophane wrapped version. I waited nearly a year to see if it would go back in stock. No Bueno.

I'm buying up every copy of the Five Armies Extended edition soundtracks and then sitting on them for 10 years. And then reselling for a guaranteed 10x return.

No we haven't!

Who is the focus of the LOTR trilogy anyway?

The hobbits were still the heart of that trilogy, even in all the spectacle!

Damn I can't wait to hear all this!

Makes me wonder what the last two pieces on the SE truly are. Does Thrain's music play a larger role in the final film perhaps or is it more like a suite just like people here have already speculated. Same goes for the Dragon Sickness. Could well be some kind of lengthy development of the little motorif figure Jason has listed as Dragon Sickness in his theme break-down or it could be something more overarching dealing with Thorin's madness (which of course his ancestors shared).

I am betting on lengthier continuous tracks on these releases.

It would be a curious change for the film to not have a prologue. Could be that PJ continues in medias res and we head straight for the encounter with Smaug. Either that or the opening covers some kind of Smaug related prologue which then goes to the actual attack on Lake-Town.

By the way, I guess it confirms that Dain's theme is different from the Dwarf Lords theme (unless we're just going to get an extended Dwarf Lord theme suite. Or maybe it will be a suite including various Dwarvish material).

No it doesn't confirm they're different.

Poor choice of word on my part.

I meant that, to me, it strongly suggests that Dain's theme is different from the Dwarf Lords theme, because I don't see why Shore would write a theme suite for a theme he has already written a suite for. The only other possibility I see, as I said above, is that it could be a suite combining multiple Dwarvish themes (like Beyond The Forest was a medley of all the Elvish material). Maybe it could start with Thorin's theme, then continue with the House Of Durin theme, the Erebor theme and finally with the Dwarf Lords theme (to musically represent Dain taking Thorin's place).

I second the motion!

What the hell is the point of making a special edition which only has two extra tracks...

Once again I say that a 1 disc regular edition and 2 disc special edition would have made more sense.