Upcoming Films

Quintus

But still smarter movie buffs know not to look at all!

Like I said last week, this is an "ok, fun" film. It's getting showered with praise because the bar has been so lowered and it delivers something that in 1997, say, wouldn't be all that fresh, but is now a bit novel. Of the three big space films in recent memory, it's right in the middle - easily, easily beating the Cuaron affair. Anyone looking for evidence that their beloved early days Scott still exists will probably still be disappointed though entertained. And I'm almost certain this isn't an Alex Cremers film. If it is, everything he bases his tastes and preferences on is a fraud!

Based solely on the trailer of The Martian, I know I'm not going to love it, but like you said, it could be a pleasant little flick, kinda like Thelma And Louise was.

Ellie Bamber joins Jake Gyllenhaal and Amy Adams in Tom Ford's Nocturnal Animals:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ellie-bamber-tom-ford-nocturnal-animals-1201597091/

EllieBamberR1sGrXeNuL6m_zpse2bbwtmm.jpg

Hehehehe, I loved Tom Ford's A Single Man and now Jake Gyllenhaal plays the lead in his next movie? Hehehehehehe.

Alex

You were deep in the Cremer's counsel Pilgrim.

Sounds sexy.

The Martian is one that I'll be seeing in the theater. My track record is good for sci-fi space movie attendance. Gravity, Prometheus, Interstellar, etc.

So far they rank thusly:

3. Prometheus

2. Interstellar

1. Gravity

But still smarter movie buffs know not to look at all!

That's true enough, but I sometimes use the likes of RT to tip the scales for me when I'm pondering the merits of giving a curiosity film a chance. If the consensus is that nobody seems to agree about a film (usually the ones which hover around the 40-60% 'rotten/fresh') then that can make me want to see it specifically for that reason.

The Martian is one that I'll be seeing in the theater.

Possibly me too, because the stranded/lost in the wilderness is probably my favorite sub-genre, and I'm always looking for another Hell in the Pacific.

I've never seen it. Does it have the flawless world building of Naughty Dog's magnum opus?

As accomplished as The Last of Us' story and backdrop was (for a game), The Walking Dead (when it's good) is better and for me the much more definitive zombie fiction.

It used to be until The Walking Dead tv show usurped it and became the last word on the genre.

I got bored by The Walking Dead and stopped watching. However Dawn of the Dead says everything it needs to in less than two hours.