So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

Goddamnit, robots, artificial people, androids, who cares what hocus pocus term I used, you all missed the point.

I didn't!

And it's an important detail because we already can build bladders, kidneys, skin and bones. It could be prophetic.

Organic tissue over metalic exo-skeleton!

Then it isn't an exo-skeleton!

Organic tissue over metalic exo-skeleton!

Then it isn't an exo-skeleton!

Egads, you're right! Congrats for being an even more careful reader than the first group.

Put anything over an exoskeleton and the exo goes endo.

A classic Terminator is organic tissue over a metal endo-skeleton, and the organic tissue is not absolutely required to function. It is added to blend in with humans, making it part of the overall mission and thus, it's on the system requirements.

But it's insanely easy to detect a Terminator: either own a dog or be named Sarah Connor.

If it were that easy to detect a Replicant, then the blade runner division of the LAPD would be out of a job.

The trailer looks more like an Aliens prequel!

First half is creepy and great (with 3D that is used properly). Second half of the film is more geared towards spectacle. Sigh! But I guess the trailer told us that too. Narrative is uneven. Cast is good but Fassbender steals the show. Film (production design) looks incredible. Reviewer does reward Prometheus by giving the film 4 stars out of 5.

I guess my predictions were right . A fine ride but not in the same league as Alien or Blade Runner (which is not so difficult to predict, of course).

Yeah, that's a cheesy line ... unless it's spoken by Davy the robot. His delivery of the line might make up for the cheese factor. Fingers crossed!

The trailer looks more like an Aliens prequel!

First half is creepy and great (with 3D that is used properly). Second half of the film is more geared towards spectacle. Sigh! But I guess the trailer told us that too. Narrative is uneven. Cast is good but Fassbender steals the show. Film (production design) looks incredible. Reviewer does reward Prometheus by giving the film 4 stars out of 5.

I guess my predictions were right . A fine ride but not in the same league as Alien or Blade Runner (which is not so difficult to predict, of course).

Alex, there's no way you are going to be anything other than disappointed with this movie. I mean, is there much you HAVEN'T read or seen of it? Right from the beginning I think you spoiled it for yourself - indeed any chances of you being pleasantly surprised must extremely minimal.

Lee - who badly misses the purer cinematic outings of pre-internet times.

Darn, I may end up going to Strasbourg for some cross-border movie tourism. I'd still like to know why we have to wait 3(!) months longer than the French.

Alex, there's no way you are going to be anything other than disappointed with this movie. I mean, is there much you HAVEN'T read or seen of it? Right from the beginning I think you spoiled it for yourself - indeed any chances of you being pleasantly surprised must extremely minimal.

Actually, I know almost nothing about it. I saw the teaser, that's all. Heck, I didn't even know about that "quote" Steef keeps mentioning everywhere. I have no idea why you are talking like this to me. I know what I'm doing, how far I can go, and so on and so forth.

Hmm, okay. Maybe I'm wrong. It just seems like you know everything there is to possibly know about the movie before actually seeing it - as far as the pre-release hype train goes. Your choice of course, but I just know from experience that that tact ends in tears.

Hmm, okay. Maybe I'm wrong. It just seems like you know everything there is to possibly know the movie before actually seeing it - as far a the pre-release hype train goes. Your choice of course, but I just know from experience that that tact ends in tears.

Ha! I know that feeling, Qiunt! I "researched" "ROTJ" very thoroughly before seeing the film. I even read the novelization. Boy, was I dissapointed in the finished product.

Yeah, but that's because you only like 0.1% of movies in general.

Everyone else had a great daft grin on their faces.

I don't think you saw it in 1983, am I right? Believe me, a lot of fans cried.

Are you saying that you were moved to tears by this film?

Well, I was a big Star Wars fan so I even travelled to London to see it. I sat in the theater and what I saw (a silly kids movie) made me very, very sad. It was the day that George Lucas stopped being a god for this teenager (which I was at the time, of course). Luckily, I had another god, which was Ridley Scott, but he stopped being a god not long after that too.

And no, we knew nothing about ROTJ. There was no internet and Lucas made sure everything was kept a secret. The Luke -Vader - Emperor confrontation was the only segment that I liked.

Honestly, I don't think Jedi is any more of a kids movie than the previous two. Of course, they're actually family movies, but never mind. The whole Luke vs. Vader & Palpatine scenes in Jedi are among the best drama in the entire trilogy as far as I'm concerned.

Talking about the spoilersome hype thing though got me thinking about LotR again - chiefly The Return of the King. If there was one movie - and indeed trilogy - in my lifetime that against all odds defied spoilerific (not the literal form, obviously) pre-release hype and rabid internet searching for any and all morsels of information and imagery - both static and moving - then Return of the King is it. Somehow, that movie managed to exceed expectations and deliver in every conceivable way.

Head scratching, awe inducing stuff.

But proves it is possible to live up to a legacy.

I liked Jedi more when I was a kid, and I agree that the Luke-Vader-Emperor stuff is the film's main real asset (aside from the score). It could certainly be far worse than it turned out, but it never feels like it strikes a good tonal balance for the conclusion. I really wish they had struck a more cohesive blend between the excitement and enthusiasm of ANH with the drama and intensity of ESB. Ford and Kurtz were absolutely right about the need to show more of a sense of loss, and I think having Han go out sacrificing himself for the Rebellion would have been an excellent way of bringing his arc to a proper conclusion and give some much needed weight to the conclusion. No one of any consequence is lost, and that lack of gravity is a big part of what really makes it feel more like a kiddie movie. The deleted scenes dealing with Jerjerrod and aiming the Death Star at Endor would've given more tension to the climax as well.

It also doesn't help that the vibe is hindered by the drop in cinematography from ESB to ROTJ, either.

It's a perfectly fine family adventure film, but as the conclusion to the Star Wars saga, it could have been so much more.

I don't think you saw it in 1983, am I right? Believe me, a lot of fans cried.

No. The de-evaluation of ROTJ only started as the Internet became more mainstream and people started egging each other on to dismiss the film

How old were you in 1983, Steef?

Honestly, I don't think Jedi is any less of a kids movie than the previous two.

?

I stopped reading after that.

All that doesn't matter, Quint, history has proven that the Marquand's installment is faaaaaaaar behind the first two Star Wars movies. The only true fans of ROTJ that I know of are the ones who saw it as a kid, and even then it was the very first Star Wars they ever saw. ROTJ is full of stuff for little kiddies. I pretty sure that you belonged to the exact category I just described. What are you, in your thirties? See?!

All that doesn't matter, Quint, history has proven that the Marquand's installment is faaaaaaaar behind the first two Star Wars movies. The only true fans of ROTJ that I know of are the ones who saw it as a kid, and even then it was the very first Star Wars they ever saw. ROTJ is full of stuff for little kiddies. I pretty sure that you belonged to the exact category I just described. What are you, in your thirties? See?!

Such a stereotypical view of ROTJ... Only by putting your arguments in a 2D, cardboard reality are you able to get your point across. "The only true fans of ROTJ [that I know of] are the ones who saw it as a kid". This is simply not true. You know it, I know it. But making such claims - and hoping that people will believe these falsehoods - is your way of debating it seems.

Such a stereotypical view of ROTJ... Only by putting your arguments in a 2D, cardboard reality are you able to get your point across. "The only true fans of ROTJ [that I know of] are the ones who saw it as a kid". This is simply not true, but claiming it - and hoping that people will believe this falsehood - is your way of debating it seems.

Sorry, everybody knows you are one of them. Don't make me post lists because you will lose. :yes: The only thing you need to understand is that ROTJ is faaar behind the first two star wars movies. I don't care if I'm hurting your childhood memories. I'm just sharing my expriences.

Such a stereotypical view of ROTJ... Only by putting your arguments in a 2D, cardboard reality are you able to get your point across. "The only true fans of ROTJ [that I know of] are the ones who saw it as a kid". This is simply not true, but claiming it - and hoping that people will believe this falsehood - is your way of debating it seems.

Sorry, everybody knows you are one of them. Don't make me post lists because you will lose.

Another desperate attempt to validate your narrow views of ROTJ... 'Lists?' What's this; grade 5?

Another desperate attempt to validate your narrow views of ROTJ... 'Lists?' What's this; grade 5?

You sound so hurt, kid.

I don't know Roald. Jabba's palace feels a bit like like Muppet Show.

Karol

So..?

What do you mean so? Just admit it. How old were you when you saw it, Roald? Aren't you about the same age as Quint?

Where's Ricard? He saw Jedi back in '83. He disagrees with you.

I figure as long I'm not talking about Logan's Run I'm okay.

You sound so hurt, kid.

I don't know Roald. Jabba's palace feels a bit like like Muppet Show.

Karol

So..?

What do you mean so? Just admit it.

Yeah, it's true. But again; so..? Is it a bad thing..?

I've never been the biggest supporter of ROTJ, not even as a kid. It's not on par with SW or ESB. But the movie has its moments and the Luke-Vader-Emperor scenes are great. I always enjoyed the Jabba sequence. So full of creativity. The build up of the movie works too. It takes it time and works towards a satisfying conclusion. In the end the film does what it needed to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

My irritation lies in grave generalisations concerning ROTJ. 'It's a kiddie movie'. 'It's a muppet movie'. 'It only has those f*ckin Ewoks'. 'Only people who saw it as a kid like it'. Blech..!

OK then. Let's try from the other side. What do you think makes it so mature?

Karol

And where did I saw 'mature'..? I don't want SW to be mature..!

Sorry, everybody knows you are one of them. Don't make me post lists because you will lose. :yes: The only thing you need to understand is that ROTJ is faaar behind the first two star wars movies. I don't care if I'm hurting your childhood memories. I'm just sharing my expriences.

But you don't strike me as someone who has had many of those. I'm serious. I don't mean to hurt your adulthood, I'm just sharing my experience of you here.

I saw the film this morning, and it was one of my greatest science fiction experiences in God knows how many years.

Fantastic film!

A couple of elements that could have been improved (some of the acting/characters, Pearce's makeup and some plot holes/inconsistencies towards the end), but really classic Scott all the way.

The film is so beautiful you just want to hang it on the wall! Lots of food for thought too.

I am sad but I suppose not surprised that there are plot holes. How bad are the plot holes?