tintin certainly answers this oft asked question

InTheCity

If John Williams lived in the 1800's would we know him as a classical composer.

I would give this a 100% yes.

tintin - Snowy's Theme, a near perfect emulation of the Shostakovitch Piano Concerto in F and Prokofiev concerto in C. Compare it and see for yourself.

the opera feature track - a near perfect emulation of early Bizet The track before that has an incredible mancini sound.

how fortunate we were to have this album.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I've never heard the Shostakovich or the Prokofiev (looking them up now), but the opera feature was not written by John Williams. It was written by Charles Gnoud and Rossini.

EDIT: If you're speaking about the opening bars of the Shostakovich, I wouldn't call it a "near perfect emulation." There are some similarities, but it also sounds very much like it was written in John Williams' style.

I will say that this piano concerto is gorgeous...thanks for bringing it to my attention!

• 6 years later...

When I first heard Snowy's Theme I immediately thought of Rachmaninoff, the way the piano easily glides in and around the rest of the orchestra, the many voices of the theme and their progression. Too perfect. Many of the prominent woodwind moments in the score are very much Prokofiev though to me.

So, if Tintin is an emulation of something really innovative, I'd say that Williams wouldn't have been as known as the mentioned composers, since he only would have ridden on their coattails.

I'm not even thinking about that. Williams is here and now, and we love him. As emulative as The Adventures of Tintin may be of others, I love it for that and more. I'm never mad when I hear a composer using the same sound signature to another. It actually puts a smile on my face.