TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY - Alberto Iglesias

WAR HORSE - John Williams

http://www.bafta.org/film/awards/nominees-winners-2012,2449,BA.html

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams needs to win at least one award for War Horse or Tintin. I have my money on the Grammys, as I think War Horse critics only dislike how the music works in the film, not as music. And the most popular cues from The Artist are a little too long without much variation (and I like the score). Maybe Williams could even expect multiple Grammys in one year, like he got for a good portion of his more popular scores from the 70s and 80s.

And his Oscar nomination will be pretty important regardless of whether or not he wins, as it'll break the tie for second place with Alfred Newman.

Williams needs to win at least one award for War Horse or Tintin. I have my money on the Grammys, as I think War Horse critics only dislike how the music works in the film, not as music. And the most popular cues from The Artist are a little too long without much variation (and I like the score). Maybe Williams could even expect multiple Grammys in one year, like he got for a good portion of his more popular scores from the 70s and 80s.

Indeed. I think we can look to the Grammys for attention. For the BAFTAs, I'm not sure if the Artist is the 100% set choice (although it is most likely). Considering how Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is such a British production, its very likely they might just hand the award over to Iglesias.

And his Oscar nomination will be pretty important regardless of whether or not he wins, as it'll break the tie for second place with Alfred Newman.

Yes! There is at least something to look forward to! Next goal, beat Walt Disney!!! :D

The Artist will win. A lively old fashioned orchestral score for a silent film. What a revelation.

Yes! There is at least something to look forward to! Next goal, beat Walt Disney!!! :D

Not that I am bitter or anything but those 5 Oscars on JWs mantlepiece need the 6th to complete a set. He can then claim his free knife set from the Academy. You get one for every Oscar past 5. Johnny needs some knives and you know that Academy knives are best to stab someone in the back.

Tinker Tailor is there because it's a British film. Trust our academy to give themselves a nice pat on the back.

And I agree with comments from another thread - replace that with one of Desplat's scores (I've heard both, and would fully support either winning) and I think you've got the oscar noms.

Probably won't watch this, or only in the background - it's not shown live and a lot of Americans don't bother turning up so there's a rather embarrassing number of "<name> couldn't be here tonight, so I, the presenter, will accept this award on their behalf.".

Pity, because I'd much rather watch this than have to stay up for the oscars (I may see if I can last until the music award, and go to bed after that).

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Williams lost to somebody with a funny foreign-sounding name (for The Artist). (Link)

I'm sure this is in no way indicative of what might happen at the Oscars.

Damn. I guess this would be a good point to direct an adventure/thriller John Williams and the Curse of the Foreign and Exotic Sounding Name.

I genuinely thought JW had a chance with the Baftas.

It's a patriotic English film, set in England and with an English cast - what's not to self-congratulate?

But The Artist has been getting rave word of mouth here. I guess it was inevitable.

Yes I think The Artist is the gimmick of this year's awards. Even if it does not win anything major it will scoop the Best Music as a consolation prize in any case.