JURASSIC PARK vs. THE LOST WORLD  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is the better score?

• JURASSIC PARK (1993)
    • THE LOST WORLD (1997)

This poll is closed to new votes

I vote THE LOST WORLD. Wish we'd get a proper expansion.

Williams really does a good job of writing music to match the jungle setting of the film. The main theme works great, too. Very militant, like the antagonists of the film.

No "I love both scores equally and can't decide" option?

They are both so brilliant in their own different ways....

No "I love both scores equally and can't decide" option?

They are both so brilliant in their own different ways....

There can only be one...

Jurassic Park gets my vote, but they are indeed very different scores that are actually very hard to compare. Aside from a few thematic references, TLW pretty much occupies its own musical universe.

Now, if we were voting on which score is in greater need of an expanded release right now, I would hope we'd all vote TLW. There's a very substantial amount of excellent music missing from the OST, whereas JP only has a couple of minor cues that haven't surfaced.

Jurassic Park. I haven't been able to get into The Lost World, film or score. Maybe an expanded release will allow me to appreciate the music more, if that happens. In fact, I don't find Williams' film output from 1994 to 1998 all that interesting. Although, I have warmed up to Stepmom over the years.

I think I prefer JP because it holds such a special place in my heart, but I'd dare to say that the action material (except for T-Rex to the Rescue) isn't that great compared to the rest. TLW, on the other hand, lacks the awe-inspiring, smile-inducing factor, but all of the action cues along with the suspense material is priceless. There's not a note wasted in all that action, and it's much more unique that JP's action material, that feels more like Williams using tricks he used before in similar-themed movies. TLW feels like Mancini on steorids, and I freakin' love it. Not to diminish JP of course, I just think TLW has the edge on that area.

But JP has the inspiring, smiling, crying stuff. So it's a tough call.

Right now I'm going for TLW just because. Tomorrow my opinion will probably change.

JP by a somewhat narrow margin but it was indeed the score that got me into film music while TLW was my first ever CD. :)

Easiest choice ever, as JURASSIC PARK is my alltime favourite score, not only favourite Williams score!

That being said, I also enjoy THE LOST WORLD for what it is, although it took me a couple of listens to warm up to it back in 97. More Stravinsky-ian and primal. I also think the film is severely underrated -- it actually contains some action setpieces that surpass that of the original and most other adventure films in the history of cinema!

Hi Thor, we meet again ! It's been a while... :)

I'd go for The Lost World. As action scores go, that one kicks major some butt ! Add to that a superb album presentation and my most played of the two. He hasn't done anything as brilliantly exciting since, except for the odd cue here and there.

But Jurassic Park has a special place in my heart too.

Filmwise, JP is a gem, TWL is great fun.

JURASSIC PARK -- it's just got more variety. THE LOST WORLD has the superior action setpieces (I'm probably one of the few here who isn't so crazy about T Rescue and Finale), but for cues are like Hatching Baby Raptor, Main Title, Encased Mosquito, Eye to Eye, Dennis Steals the Embryos and Journey to the Island etc. are why I'm a Williams fan.

Hi Thor, we meet again ! It's been a while... :)

I'd go for The Lost World. As action scores go, that one kicks major some butt ! Add to that a superb album presentation and my most played of the two. He hasn't done anything as brilliantly exciting since, except for the odd cue here and there.

But Jurassic Park has a special place in my heart too.

Filmwise, JP is a gem, TWL is great fun.

Hey, Mr. G! Awesome to hear from you again.

JP is definitely up there on my all time favorites. However, TLW, is just awesome from an action perspective. Some of the best JW has ever done. Very Goldsmith like, probably the closest JW has ever come to emulating the great Jerry. Especially the main theme being very similar to Capricorn One.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Jurassic Park. Still warming up to TLW after all these years. Never liked the movie, which didn't help my impression of the score. JP's just eminently more listenable--and still represents one of the most exhilarating cinematic experiences of my life.

Didn't we have this poll at least once already in the past few years? Anyway, easy choice. I love Jurassic Park and listen to it very often; The Lost World... well, it's okay in what it wants to do, but I never liked it much (in fact, it was my first major soundtrack disappointment after a "blind buy"),and I rarely go back to it. Just not my cup of tea...

I guess I expected grand, sweeping themes and traditional action music (I still think "T Rex Rescue & Finale is absolutely awesome), and instead got brooding jungle percussion. Except for "Stegosaurus", there is nothing even remotely like what I love from JP. Still can't understand why Williams altered his style so fundamentally between the two movies. I don't hate TLW, but, as I said, it's really nothing I am excited about.

Still can't understand why Williams altered his style so fundamentally between the two movies.

It was Spielberg's idea to have a different "percussive jungle sound" to the sequel and Williams just ran with that.

Yeah, I did read about this too; still, the end result is so strikingly different from JP that it almost seems Williams (and Spielberg) hated the first score.

While JP's score will always win for me, TLW really grown on me as its own thing. And actually, for those who have read the JP and TLW novel, doesn't the score for TLW fit the tone of them quite a bit more for the most part? When I listen to it now I definitely think that it would be the kind of score most other directors would have asked for JP if they had followed the tone of the novels more closely.

That's true; the JP novel actually lacks the kind of grandeur that would require a score such as written for the film (just compare Grant's reaction to first seeing dinosaurs on the island - in the novel he reacts in a sort of analytical way, if I recall correctly, and the moment has nothing of the near-religuous quality of the corresponding scene in the movie.

I think Williams likes to avoid retreating of the old if he can possibly avoid it and I guess following Spielberg's mandate he created a very different sound world for the sequel. He seems to have been in favour of even darker mood than the director as in many places the film makers favour the upbeat main Lost World theme over his often brooding, earthy and even grim underscore and it is indeed tracked in instead of Williams' quite harsh action writing quite a few times to give some scenes more heroic feel. Granted the "oohh aaaah" awe factor is largely gone from the sequel and it is a new locale so the change of musical style is somewhat justified as is the darkening down of the overall mood. I think that came as a surprise to anyone who fell in love with JP. It is a completely different beast.

JP definately for me. I like TLW, and have grown to like it quite a bit more over the years. If we should ever get an expanded release of TLW, I'll probably like it more.

But JP was my first JW soundtrack I bought (on tape), so its hard to beat the nostalgia factor-

• 9 months later...

The Trek wasn't used either and that cue's also awesome (in a completely different way)