The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

I see the OCD admin was at work.

there must be order, but since I did not post in this thread I shall remove my comment.

Yeah, Rick's 'They're fucking with the wrong people' at the end of Season 4 surprised me ... but I watched the boxset, which I suspect was the only place it could be heard.

Have said it before, but basic cable's rules utterly baffle me ... they think an audience who are happy to watch zombies tearing out and chowing down on someone's innards are going to be offended by the f-word?      

• 2 weeks later...

That last episode was one of the finest I've seen in a while for this show. Goes to show how versatile and effective Carol is as a character. Some good shots too.

I finally started season 6, the one with the black and white flashbacks. 

One of the most annoying episodes and season openers ever. The production people who think these 'dual' timeline approaches are a good idea have no understanding of pacing whatsoever and need shooting. 

• 2 weeks later...

So the second half of the show's existence is entirely worst than its first half?  Bummer...

1 and 3 might be interchangeable.

I've never thought about it as a show that's gotten worse as it went along. The special effects have gotten better, the zombies more spectacular and dangerous, the locations have gotten bigger and the stakes keep getting higher.

At the same time, they've killed off a few characters that were great to stay true to the source material. Some characters have undergone tremendous growth since the beginning, while the show maintains a revolving door of which old characters are seemingly immortal and so the new characters get killed off more quickly. 

The show is and has always been about smart people making stupid decisions in the presence of zombies. It's a soap opera for guys with blood and guts. 

I know that sounds like I should have lost interest, but I'm invested in these characters and want to know how the story ends. I can't and won't try to sell it to a noob who sees the inability to recapture the heart and tightness of the simpler earlier seasons as damnation of the newer efforts. 

Last night's cliffhanger was not unexpected because its format had leaked days earlier. I was more disappointed that the leak was true. That also means that we'll get the identity before midsummer. After the Glenn dumpster death-not-death, I don't really care who met Lucille. The show is getting too gimmicky. 

4 starts out lousy with the sickness in the prison, even though that sets the stage for Carol's character arc that is still ongoing after 6. But 4 gets better by its conclusion. And 5 has some of the worst wheel spinning, story stalling episodes of the entire series. So between the two of them, there's a great season's worth of episodes. 

I've found season 6 pretty entertaining, especially after the annoying 5th season. Was not a fan of the first season at all really.

Also, the season 6 finale was very handsomely produced. Looked like a proper film, and this is from a show that has had some of the trashiest looks on television.

10 hours ago, KK. said:

a show that has had some of the trashiest looks on television.

What do you mean?

As in, it's an ugly looking show, with its cheaper production values often shining, especially in the earlier seasons. But that does lend to its B-movie vibe.

But they always have the best looking and newest cars. The Walking Dead may have dirty, unkempt people with scraggly hair and mud and blood, but it's still a frikking Hyundai commercial. 

This post contains spoilers!

The show is one of my alltime favourites, and I actually enjoyed last night's season finale, despite a flaw or two. For example, Neegan's monologue went on for too long. On the other hand, I did enjoy the suspense of the constant road blocks, which is another thing people have criticized. I dig the fact that it tries to draw the suspense out, Stephen King-style, in some of these episodes.

Who was killed at the end? I won't speculate much. I don't think it's anyone of the main cast that have been with the series since its beginning, and I doubt it's one of the new ones (as the impact would be too mild). My guess is it's one of the "inbetweeners".

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

This post contains spoilers!

The show is one of my alltime favourites, and I actually enjoyed last night's season finale, despite a flaw or two. For example, Neegan's monologue went on for too long. On the other hand, I did enjoy the suspense of the constant road blocks, which is another thing people have criticized. I dig the fact that it tries to draw the suspense out, Stephen King-style, in some of these episodes.

So did I. Only thing is, any sensible person would have known it was a trap, at least by the 2nd roadblock. It was cool getting to see the scale of "The Saviours", but Rick and crew were pretty stupid for basically emptying base from the start.

As Wojo said, its a show about smart people making stupid decisions over and over again!

10 minutes ago, Joey said:

Glen or Eugene. 

Eugene, maybe, but I doubt it's Glen. He was set up as a survivor and even potential leader early on in the series, and last season's ambigious finale cemented that. They're not going to kill him off now.

Glen, would be too much bait-and-switch. They've basically immortalized him with the stunt they pulled earlier this season...which is a shame.

It has to be someone with high emotional impact. 

What they did with Glen was brilliant. It put fans into first person perspective as if we were Maggie. Still it's Glenn's time. But the show said goodbye to Eugene by giving Rick the information on bullet making and the sad goodbye to Abraham.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

As Wojo said, its a show about smart people making stupid decisions over and over again!

He's wrong. They didn't make any stupid decisions Sunday. They made the only decision possible if they were to save Maggie. 

The bad decision will be Negan's. Leaving Rick alive will ultimately cost him.

11 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Michonne.

Again, I'm skeptical. She was also set up as this powerful force when she was first introduced. Almost mythical.

My bet is on some of the more "normal" or vulnerable ones -- which will make the emotional impact greater.

Michonne hasn't done anything interesting to do in an entire season, and now she's knocking boots with Rick.  Sounds like the perfect opportunity for these doofus showrunners to Fridge her, in order to shed some sort of light on Rick's character.

The best thing this show can do, and it's been this way for seasons now, is to knock off Rick.  His character is too powerful in the group, his death would inform/change pretty much every character in one way or another, and there could be some plot movement as some of the characters move in to fill his support/power position.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Meh, they're not that smart.

25 minutes ago, KK. said:

Glen, would be too much bait-and-switch. They've basically immortalized him with the stunt they pulled earlier this season...which is a shame.

Personally, I don't think they'll use his comic book death on the show, it's too obvious, which is exactly why it won't be him.

18 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Michonne.

Do not want!  And I don't even watch the show anymore!

Am glad that Negan is now finally in it ... the amount of build-up to his introduction had gotten ridiculous, it seems like he was talked about as a man to be feared for at least half of that last season. 

Rick didn't make a wrong decision in the finale. He made it weeks ago deciding to attack the Saviors to win the favor of the Hilltop. He was overconfident. Daryl's RPG forced his hand, too. 

I can't blame the show for this, though. It's how the comic decides to carry the story forward. Conflict. 

Though at some point, it would have been necessary to retreat to Alexandria and let Maggie die, rather than risk the rest of the RV. Her death by Negan would be poetic, as if fated. 

Going back a page, I felt season 2 was by far the best. It addressed the issues of why they continue to live, whether to let Carl die, killing others, and the heartbreaking Sophia storyline. Everything felt like it had its place.

In the last couple of seasons, I think the writing has become really lazy, with way too many last minute saves and pretending to kill off main characters. I mean, within one season, they "kill" Glenn twice. I think there's a certain disrespect to viewers there.

And the number of times even in the last few episodes that someone has a gun pointed at them, and a goody suddenly appears out of nowhere and saves them. It's appalling writing, and a real shame, because a lot of the character stuff is good.

The finale cliffhanger struck me as very lame. I'd read it was coming, although I didn't realise they were only going to kill one person. It feels like they just did that for dramatic purposes - there seems no reason for Nagan to kill someone when he's building an army.

If the writers really, really want my respect back, kill Rick. I dare them.

I actually don't care that much - they've killed off enough main characters. And they had a good story going with the idea of constantly having to defend themselves, and get new supplies, yet they go and ruin it by introducing some new bad guy, whose performance was frankly rather pantomime-like.

Although whoever decided that Carl should lose an eye should win a razzie (how exactly did he lose it, btw?). I genuinely thought they'd killed him off. There are only so many times you can use that trick before it becomes evident that you're out of ideas.

The guy that wrote the comics decided to have Carl lose an eye. He's the same guy who decided the Governor would cut off Rick's hand, which he regrets. 

I don't see how a gunshot to the head that destroys an eye is not a death sentence or a bigger plot point. Carl gets shot in season 2, spends the rest in recovery. He gets shot here, we jump ahead months with no problem. 

It was done purely for shock value, but they don't want to lose his character. Poor decision by the writers.

Back in season 2 its purpose was partly to keep them at the farm (along with Sophia), and partly to explore the idea of whether it was worth bringing him back into this world. But now they're not exploring any themes remotely as interesting as that, they move on like nothing happened.

Also, when are they going to run out of bullets or food?

• 1 month later...

Finally caught up with this very uneven season. It really dragged! 

I hope Glenn got Lucille'd (a baseball bat with a name, how original) to death at the end, but I bet it won't have been him because the guy is freakin' invincible. Maybe he's immortal and the ultimate cure? That's gonna be the big twist! 

It had its moments, but all in all this season was one of the weakest. 

I think Glenn is immortal. Faking his death mid-season only to follow through with the correct death from the comics would be too convenient. But it would mean they'd stop teasing us with maybe killing Glenn. 

The Talking Dead said the death would be important for character growth, it would deeply affect the group, or something like that. 

I think Maggie and Michonne are also safe. I think Negan likes his women. Though killing Michonne now would be super cruel to Rick since their romance started. And killing Maggie would reinforce the idea that medical deaths are inescapable on the show, since Rick and friends took the RV for a spin just to save her life in the first place. It'd be deliciously ironic if it was all for nothing. But she becomes important to the Hilltop later, unless they of course rewrite the part. 

Carl is safe because Negan said he'd be fed his other eye if he reacted. And he becomes pivotal to Negan's character later, though they could rewrite it. 

Rick is safe because AMC doesn't have the cojones to kill the main character. 

Daryl hasn't had much to do since using the bazooka, but his death would definitely rock the group. 

Eugene's just starting to come into his own to be a contributo, so killing him now would be cruel. But who would miss him? 

Abraham was supposed to die on the tracks instead of the lady doctor, and his death would rock his ladies. 

Sasha's death would piss off Abraham, while Rosita feels like she was just kept around to be his prior love, and her story's ended.  But would Negan kill either woman? 

Glenn and Daryl are survivors of the season finale since they helped rescue someone the other day in costume.