BloodBoal

It is a bit confusing about what would have happened in the palantir scene.

I mean in FOTR, Saruman has one in Isengard, and he uses it to talk to Sauron in Mordor. Presumably those are the only 2 ones left (I have no clue why the films dropped the subplot that Denethor The Steward Of Gondor has one too and that's why he went nutso).

So if there was one in Dol Goldur at the time of The Hobbit, is it one of those 2 Palantirs? Or a different one? And if Gandalf touches it and has a vision, whose on the other end having the vision? I Mean, Sauron is right there in Dol Goldur with Gandalf. Was there supposed to be one in Erebor too, and when Gandalf touches the Dol Goldur one it activates the Erebor one and he sees Smaug? Is that why Smaug wakes up when Bilbo's in his chamber?

I wish they had either put the scene back in the film, or explained what would have happened in a commentary!

And thanks for making that last video, Bloodboal! It helps show what Shore's intentions were for the old cut of the movie. Oddly, I think the original video is more "fun" to watch because you get more footage of BIlbo and Balin and the sync points happen to work (even though that's just a happy coincidence). I wonder why Pope conducted the very opening to be so strong... a lighter approach seems like it would have made more sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Out of the frying pan again, don't think I ever appreciated how brilliant the choral music for Shores charge was! It seemed AUJ had the most male choir for the dwarves?

Shore's charge I would very much want to see!

Watching Out of the frying pan again, don't think I ever appreciated how brilliant the choral music for Shores charge was! It seemed AUJ had the most male choir for the dwarves?

In or out of the Wellington Town Hall?

Finally saw your video BB, funny stuff!

Something about seeing Doug Adams smiling face on Bilbo as he swung Sting was quite funny

There you go!

Out Of The Scoring Pan

ROTFLMAO

Genius!! I love how Shore's motionless expression initially appears to be a smile, but by the end looks more like disgust.

And Doug! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, since Google Drive is meant as something more private (what you put there you don't necessarily share with everyone), it seems they don't scan everything. The whole scanning thing seems very random here (there is no logic regarding which of my videos are blocked. At least, no logic that I can see).

So I am assuming you have your videos set to only be able to be viewed by those who have the link?

No, actually I have to make them public in order for the embedding to work (else, when I embed the videos, people who click on "Play" get an error message. I know this because when I posted the first video, someone (don't remember who) told me he couldn't play it).

Does this work? I have the folder set so only people with a link can view the videos

• 1 month later...

Cool!

-Man, heaving this music again just makes me want the full unedited cue ever more. Syncing to footage shows how much he cut for the OST track even more. He should have put this version on the Standard OST and the full cue on the SE OST. Bah.

-Seeing the film in HD here just draws more attention to how much of a green screen movie it is. Every shot just looks like its actors acting in front of a green screen with PJ assuring them they'd figure out the backgrounds later. Looks somehow more green screen-y than the first two

-I have no idea how accurate these videos are in regards to the music being exactly synced to the shots Shore had intended them to be or not, and man I can only imagine how long it took you to make these, how much guesstimating you had to do. I hope the other ones are easier!

I feel like the second version of Smaug's fall makes more sense.

It just feels like PJ madly edited the entire sequence after Shore scored it, and then Shore also massively microediting the track in several spots make this one a bonafide clusterfuck. Really wish we had the unedited track. It's easily my favorite track in the score!

I know you probably already know this, but I would just like to point something out, the statement of Smaug's theme you list at 04'05 - 04'19 appears earlier in the film (tracked I think) right before Bard gets into the bell tower.

Also could the music for the first shot of Tauriel be the music at 02'00 - 02'24 with the strings of Tauriel's theme dialed out? (because you can barely hear them in my back channel rip)

I mean the bit at 1:39 might be the same as the bit with Tauriel's theme but with that theme dialed out.

Of course this is just going by memory and not by comparison of the two bits.

(BTW, that bit at 1:39 is microedited on the OST)