Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I doubt JW will want to write another SW score and have a strong feeling he will refuse as well. That's how these things come to pass anyways.

And I agree KM, Giacchino's score probably won't even get close to Williams' level nor do I expect any replacement score to be. But Giacchino is certainly not the best option out there. If John Carter (a great score in itself) is any indication, I'm not sure I'd really like Giacchino's take on Star Wars. There are other composers who can write in the grand Star Wars style if need be.

To be honest, I think John Debney would be a good substitution (cue JWFan crucifixion).

I can't wait for Joey to see this piece of news.

did my initial post meet your expectations?

Star Wars is dead.

That being said, Abrams is a director I can get excited about.

Yes.

This is probably the best news in regards to the next film.

Bring on Giacchino's score. Super 8, Star Trek, Lost and John Carter are much better than Williams efforts for AOTC and ROTS.

John Debney can't really write good themes. except Seaquest DSV

I disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSebZKVe70

And something like Star Wars would certainly bring great tunes out of him. I think he's more capable of providing that grand sound for SW than Giacchino is at the moment.

Wow Giacchino scoring a Star Wars movie, he was made to do this. I mean let's be serious, his sabbatical is for a reason.

The guy can channel Johnny like nobody can perhaps since Joel McNeely. How was his Star Tours thing? Did he develop the themes in his own way? Oh and stop talking about Debney, nobody cares about a guy who scored The Three Stooges LOL. Hopefully Michael can go back to his PC game days and see his inspiration that gave him incredible scores to SWoN and CoD. Those scores and the Medal of Honor series feels like a SW score more than anything.

Oh and stop talking about Debney, nobody cares about a guy who scored The Three Stooges LOL.

Man, people need to give this man some more credit. He's a great composer who just hasn't had the privilege of scoring stellar films all the time.

Hopefully Michael can go back to his PC game days and see his inspiration that gave him incredible scores to SWoN and CoD. Those scores and the Medal of Honor series feels like a SW score more than anything.

It's more Indiana Jones. And MOH is the closest Giacchino got to emulating Williams. They're his best scores too. He hasn't beat them yet.

I'm actually surprised J.J. Abrams is doing this.

But Paramount can't be happy with this... especially how it will definitely affect production on a third ST film. It must've been one hell of a script for J.J. to say yes.

I'm surprised it's going to Abrams since he has Star Trek, but all things considered he is one of the better choices they could have gone with. He's an obvious fan of Star Wars and brought a lot of that to Star Trek (which is probably why it was so accessible). I'm confident he'll do a good job and if Williams doesn't do it I'll be glad to have Giacchino because he was my first choice anyway.

Even before we can attempt to get anything good out of this, Lucas needs to stay the hell away or we'll get his influence ruining this just like it contributed to ruining Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The most he should influence this:

1. John Williams does the music

2. No lens flares, in fact dump your DP altogether

3. No computer generated cartoons everywhere

4. Nothing from the prequels

5. Raping Han Solo and all characters from Star Wars, Empire and Jedi is strictly forbidden

6. No Shia or any of these shitty popular modern actors

7. No awful storylines that don't make any sense and/or plot holes everywhere

That will never happen, so I'm going to go ahead and predict we're screwed, but I'd be ecstatic to be wrong

Well you seem to have this all figured out.

Surprised Disney didn't ask you.

More Force music under Giacchino's direction isn't something I'm interested in, but hopefully he'll be granted some leeway and be encouraged to write original thematic material, which I'm still unsure he's capable of but benefit of the doubt and all that. Gia's heart's in the right place and he obviously means well by his music... I dunno, maybe this is the sort of high profile high pressure gig he's needed to truly flex his chops and prove himself. Good luck to him, but if I hear the Force theme every five minutes I'll be switching off.

Fuck yeah! Lens flares every time a lightsaber is turned on!

they already do that (sort of) in Episode III...

BTW good news.

Maybe Giacchino does not score the film straightforwardly. Maybe Williams is willing to compose the main themes and giacchino adapts for this movie. And then if Abrahams does the other two, Gia does the music on his own...

Maybe Giacchino does not score the film straightforwardly. Maybe Williams is willing to compose the main themes and giacchino adapts for this movie. And then if Abrahams does the other two, Gia does the music on his own...

I think Giacchino would use the old themes as well.

Disney may be keen to reboot this series, but I doubt they mean to tear it all out and start fresh, Snyder Superman style. That would be commercial suicide. The established Williams soundtrack will be all over these things, which I'd actually have thought would be baggage someone like Gia wouldn't be interested in working with since it's influence on the Star Wars soundscape is clearly vast and presumably unavoidable, but we'll see.

This film might fail due to not being fresh enough.

They'll paint themselves into a corner. The story will be within the parameters we've seen six times, without doing anything earth shattering to the SW universe. It'll be full of annoying references and feel futile and pointless. The fact that is being called "Episode VII" makes me think this. And we'll have to deal with some of the baggage of the stories, settings aand concepts from Jedi to the prequels, like the jedi order turned boring, the overuse of lightsabers, the "rests of the empire" (who cares??), etc etc.

I expect whoever composes the score will be forced to copy paste random moments from the previous scores, Hobbit style.

There might even be baggage left by the expanded universe but I don't think that will happen. Probably for the best.

My GUT feeling is that Williams will have passed by then.

Me too KM, me too. ;)

The level of clairvoyance on this board is astonishing..! Chapeau guys; Disney obviously made a big mistake developing new Star Wars films since so many here already know exactly how they will turn out...

I expect whoever composes the score will be forced to copy paste random moments from the previous scores, Hobbit style.

I don't think so. Lucas' role in the franchise is greatly reduced, J.J. Abrams isn't Peter Jackson, and Kathleen Kennedy isn't the producer type to force composers to reuse music in random spots.

And think about it: Michael Arndt must've done a great job on the script. I'm sure Abrams wouldn't have signed on to direct if the script was a tired retread of tropes in the first six movies. So I think Abrams' involvement is a big vote of confidence on the quality front.

Wanna bet?

If I loose, I'll be happy.

I live with hope and optimism. THAT makes me happy. Besides; there is really no possible way to know how these films will turn out. Truly remarkable films that exceed all expectations are rare, I know, but as long as it's still a possibility I cling to the 10 year old in me and feel giddy and excited every time I think about 'Star Wars Episode VII'. I'm really SO f*ckin glad my viewpoint on this has never been corrupted and that I never exchanged that boyish excitement for the bleak and pessimistic outlook some here have on this, and possibly life in general.

Call it fanboyish; I REALLY don't care. I see that as a form of envy anyway. ;)

I want Mathew Vaughn. Why can't I get Mathew Vaughn?

WB is courting him for Justice League, believe it or not. I think WB is auditing all those guys that Lucasfilm looked at for Episode VII and making offers.

I'm really SO f*ckin glad my viewpoint on this has never been corrupted and that I never exchanged that boyish excitement for the bleak and pessimistic outlook some here have on this, and possibly life in general.

Don't include me on that. ;) I might sound bleak when I'm feeling sad or annoyed but that's definitely not me.

Acknowledging that you sound "bleak" at your age is all sorts of wrong. It's just talk on the internet, dude! Why so serious all the time?

I'll go ahead and admit I used the word bleak without being actually sure of what it means. I thought he was referring to me after my negative post so I was quoting him.

And I'm not serious all the time! Geez. You got me wrong. Bloody internet forum distortion.

I think Giacchino would use the old themes as well.

Giacchino's end titles will be his own main theme with Williams' Skywalker theme in counterpoint.

It would be fantastic :)