GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

• 3 weeks later...

I just started the book, and I think I'm done with Danys' introduction paragraph. I AIN'T GOT ONE IDEA WHO'S WHO OR WHAT THE FUDGEPOP IS GOING ON!

So you don't like being dropped into a world without an all-knowing narrator? Try Steven Erikson's EPIC fantasy series Malazan Book of the Fallen and then come back to tell me Song of Ice and Fire is confusing.

Actually, I appreciate each chapter really being from only a single character's point of view. The "narrators" in those sense know only what they do and see things through their eyes. Of course, the relation of the events in the chapters with respect to time and space determine how much "dramatic irony" the reader can possess as to why things have happened, such as Bran's little adventure and the events of the prologue. A different fantasy book that I am also currently reading has a similar "personal narrative" mechanism that I find refreshing as opposed to the true omniscient narrator that hears all characters' thoughts.

The book is only confusing early on because it fleshes out the back story as the characters talk to each other, for a more natural progression of information as opposed to giving the reader the "who's who" and "dummy's guide" in the preface. Other stories with complicated histories like Dune did similar things. The idea of "I'm going to sit down and tell you in forty pages everything that has happened up until now" is so LOTR, with its Many Meetings and Shadow of the Past chapters.

I know. But everyone else was freaking out that you didn't get everything instantly. My comment was largely directed to them, not you. ;)

I read all five books in one month over the summer. My brain hurts! Trouble is, having had the huge advantage of there already being five books by the time I started reading the series, I now have to wait five or six years for the next book along with everybody else!

I re-read the first 4 books last summer and then waited for a while before getting the 5th but alas it did not last very long before I had read it. So there is a long wait ahead. Enough time for me to re-read the previous novels again so I remember what has happened thusfar. :P

I decided to not read the third book again before watching the third season. It's better for the enjoyment to not remember all the great little moments they may have to cut out of the show for time and budgetary reasons.

I remember there was talk of splitting the book three into two seasons? Will this be the case or am I as clueless as a Canadian on this?

What's with all the non-Canadian jokes? There are even more of these!

Well that's what you wretched (insert BloodBoal's mysterious nationality here) deserve!

BloodBoal started it! I am just impressionable!

Tsk tsk. A follower? And one of Bloodboal? I expected more from you!

:rimshot:

I have to stop doing groundwork for your jokes but I just can't help it. Damn the natural charisma of BloodBoals!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just because you make up all the activity in this thread, doesn't mean we've lost interest in GoT. Our focus is simply on the matters at hand, like The Hobbit,

I really liked what I saw in that video by the way. Especially Ciaran Hinds,

Thanks for the video Messenger! And yeah the GoT fever will be rising come spring. It is The Hobbit's time now.

But I will get my Tywin Lannister fan club ready by the time the third season opens!

Hopefully they'll convince Jackson to let the Bunnies of Doom to have a cameo.

Jackson didn't do a very good work in making their paddock safe and one of the fences had loose bars and so the Bunnies of Doom escaped and fell down a cliff. Hence the animal abuse charges. Those bunnies will hop no more.

Bloodboal, Bloodboal, BloodBoal. My sweet innocent Bloodboal! The bunnies PJ had for the film were not the true Bunnies of Doom. You simply can't tame them to do such vulgar tasks. Those were just big regular bunnies enhanced by CGI. The real Bunnies of Doom approved the shoot but didn't participate in such mortal trifles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If it helps cheer you up, your work is most appreciated Messenger!

The pics and the clips look great, and I'm really loving the look of Ciaran Hinds as Mance Raydar.