GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Yeah the Jorah/Dany thing is unconvincing compared to the book version, where you can sort of understand her need to make an example of him... sort of. Here, it's a bit of a reach to accept that all of the trust built between them could be so easily shattered, without any kind of discussion. Maybe I'm just too much of a blind Jorah fan?

Yeah I might be that big of a Jorah fan too. Also I am sad to see him go because Iain Glen is a fantastic actor. He could probably read the phonebook and it would feel dramatic.

Sad to see him go? He still has a part in the future.

Yeah the Jorah/Dany thing is unconvincing compared to the book version, where you can sort of understand her need to make an example of him... sort of. Here, it's a bit of a reach to accept that all of the trust built between them could be so easily shattered, without any kind of discussion. Maybe I'm just too much of a blind Jorah fan?

Yeah I might be that big of a Jorah fan too. Also I am sad to see him go because Iain Glen is a fantastic actor. He could probably read the phonebook and it would feel dramatic.

I was a big fan in season one. But after that, has anything interesting been done with the character?

Not really, he's been second fiddle to Dany's other councilors. The good news is that his allegiance is for sale.

Alas he has been in the sidelines for a long time. Perhaps it was just his time to go.

Sad to see him go? He still has a part in the future.

He might. I can't for the life of me remember where he ended up in the novels. Anyway I am sad to see him leave, even temporarily.

He's not leaving the show though! You won't see him for a while, but that wasn't the last you saw of him!

He's not leaving the show though! You won't see him for a while, but that wasn't the last you saw of him!

He should have said that while waving his fist at Dany! "You haven't seen the last of me!"

- Liking what is happening with Sansa! Finally, she's becoming a more active character! I do wonder what is her plan, though: did she lie because she truly believes Littlefinger can protect her and/or because she's attracted to him, or because she remembers the lesson he taught her back at the beginning of this season, and she actually plans on fucking him when he will least expect it?

Why can't it be both?

I don't understand what you mean. Are you suggesting that she may have lied because she is attracted to Littlefinger AND she also intends to betray him?

I meant that maybe she both (1) lied at the trial because she knows Petyr will protect her and (2) she is planning some kind of eventual betrayal or something or other of her own

I wonder if the show means for us to believe that after Petyr pushed Lysa out the Moon Door, but before they were separately brought before the council, he made sure to get their story straight. "When they ask, you say it was suicide, girl, you get me?"

Because in the book, Petyr doesn't claim suicide, he places the blame on a singer that stayed at the Eyrie after arriving with Cat's group when they brought Tyrion. That singer doesn't exist in the show by this point, leaving suicide as the only logical option, unless Sansa wished to complicate matters.

Oh yea, I too wondered during the episode if Sansa and Petry had concocted that plan together in between the push and the trial. However, as the scene went on, it was clear Petyr had no idea what Sansa was gonna do.... at least I think. I suppose you could interpret his facial expressions in different ways. I said out loud "hide your smirk dude!" At the end of the scene when Sansa was being hugged by the female council chick.

Yeah she's strangely arousing in her dominatrix mode.

Karol

Yeah she's strangely arousing in her dominatrix mode.

Karol

It's that steely self-assured look in her eyes. Ooooh mama!

I'll be in my bunk.

I wonder if the show means for us to believe that after Petyr pushed Lysa out the Moon Door, but before they were separately brought before the council, he made sure to get their story straight. "When they ask, you say it was suicide, girl, you get me?"

Because in the book, Petyr doesn't claim suicide, he places the blame on a singer that stayed at the Eyrie after arriving with Cat's group when they brought Tyrion. That singer doesn't exist in the show by this point, leaving suicide as the only logical option, unless Sansa wished to complicate matters.

Yup. Too bad the singer had his tongue cut out in season 1. :P

So was Arya laughing because "This is hilarious, another one of my relatives is dead!" or because "This is hilarious, this is the second time The Hound has tried to sell me for ransom to someone that had just been killed!"? Or both?

So was Arya laughing because "This is hilarious, another one of my relatives is dead!" or because "This is hilarious, this is the second time The Hound has tried to sell me for ransom to someone that had just been killed!"? Or both?

Both! She's CRAZY!!!

I think she was laughing because it pissed all over the Hound's plan to sell her.

And because another one of her relatives is dead. She appreciates the finer points of karmic sarcasm. She's cursed. Bring her along and a relative dies.

Tywin had a copy of the pardon sent to Barristen so that the truth will come out to Daenerys and split them apart.

Oh, OK. But that wasn't mentioned in the show, was it? I mean, apart from Jorah's suggestion that it was Tywin who sent it. We were never told Tywin had a copy of the pardon, right?

In episode 6 Tywin asks Varys if his little birds can get inside Meereen, and he asks Mace Tyrell "ink and paper" to write a letter...

I think she will too, but I doubt it will happen this season.

Also, you have to wonder if Westeros is better off with or without Petyr! I mean, Joffrey's dead because of him, so there's that.

How evil is he though?

I mean, think big picture. What is best for Westeros, as a whole? I'd say two things:

1. Figuring out how to stop the White Walkers when they attack Westeros once Winter comes

and

2. Ruling the best once that situation is resolved. Who, among all the characters in the show, would make the best king or queen? Who would create the best living conditions for the majority of Westeros residents?

I actually think that Petyr will not do anything to Robin, not in the foreseeable future.

He killed Lyssa far sooner then he planned, which seems obvious now. Up until the moment Sansa made her statement they weren't eager to trust his account of it being an accident at all.

Petyr wants power above all else, but he usually plays very subtle games to get it. He will bide his time. Increase his influence over the boy, and Sansa.

If Robyn dies now under mysterious circumstances, it will seem too suspect.

In episode 6 Tywin asks Varys if his little birds can get inside Meereen, and he asks Mace Tyrell "ink and paper" to write a letter...

It's curious that Jorah's second pardon, the one sent to Selmy, was signed by King Robert instead of King Tommen. I suppose that once one king pardons you, a king two reigns later doesn't need to pardon you again. Whether you choose to return home or stay in the place where you found exile, that's your choice. Tywin knew he was still in her employ, and figured she didn't know of his treachery.

Did Robert keep a stack of signed pardons in King's Landing? If not, Tywin's second pardon was a forgery. It was certainly legal to remind Selmy that Jorah was pardoned, but was it legal to fake the date and name to make it look like the letter from Robert was simply late? I think Jorah may have been able to make a case for that in his defense, but his shame overwhelmed him. And the books give him a different destiny anyways.

I actually think that Petyr will not do anything to Robin, not in the foreseeable future.

He killed Lyssa far sooner then he planned, which seems obvious now. Up until the moment Sansa made her statement they weren't eager to trust his account of it being an accident at all.

Petyr wants power above all else, but he usually plays very subtle games to get it. He will bide his time. Increase his influence over the boy, and Sansa.

Robin is the heir to the Vale, killing him would not be benefitial to Littlefinger.

Btw, if anyone is interested, Jorah's banishment was the last remaining bit from A Storm of Swords regarding Dany (and in the books it happens right after she takes Meereen). Everything else (her scenes in episodes 6, 7 and 10) is from book 5.

Theon's stuff this week was adapted from his second chapter from book 5 (he has 7 in total).

Sansa's stuff was adapted from her storyline from book 4.

As of now, only King's Landing, the Wall, Stannis and Arya are in book 3.

It's curious that Jorah's second pardon, the one sent to Selmy, was signed by King Robert instead of King Tommen. I suppose that once one king pardons you, a king two reigns later doesn't need to pardon you again. Whether you choose to return home or stay in the place where you found exile, that's your choice. Tywin knew he was still in her employ, and figured she didn't know of his treachery.

Did Robert keep a stack of signed pardons in King's Landing? If not, Tywin's second pardon was a forgery. It was certainly legal to remind Selmy that Jorah was pardoned, but was it legal to fake the date and name to make it look like the letter from Robert was simply late? I think Jorah may have been able to make a case for that in his defense, but his shame overwhelmed him. And the books give him a different destiny anyways.

I admit I didn't entirely understand if the letter was meant to be a forgery by Tywin, or a copy of the real letter sent by Tywin. In any case, the council scene in episode 6 was the set-up for this letter.

Stannis

Where is that dude, anyway? He's gotten the shaft this season. Is he gonna show up at The Wall to save the day as they are being attacked by the wildlings and giants?

It has to be a forgery if it was signed by King Robert, who is long dead at that time.

Stannis

Where is that dude, anyway? He's gotten the shaft this season. Is he gonna show up at The Wall to save the day as they are being attacked by the wildlings and giants?

Yes!

Episode nine is basically a prolonged siege and attack of Castle black. Just as the Knights are about the lose the engagement, Stannis can be seen on top of a hill, on a white steed! He summons he armies, payed for by gold from the Iron bank and utterly destroys the Wildling army, who are blinded by the upcoming sun!

It has to be a forgery if it was signed by King Robert, who is long dead at that time.

I assumed it was supposedly some x-year old document, that Tywin dug out of some archive to send over, not some new forgery.

Jon Snow stands alone!

Robin is the heir to the Vale, killing him would not be benefitial to Littlefinger.

If Robyn dies, who would be the heir?

Considering Sansa Stark is the only one of the family (Lyssa's side) known to be alive, would she be eligible?

When Jorah got his first pardon, Robert and Eddard Stark were both still alive, but the role of the Hand in creating the pardon was not elaborated upon in the show. It's doubtful Ned would have wanted to pardon the slaver he had wanted to kill. We assume Robert sent it. As for the second pardon, it's also open to speculation but the intent is that Robert's original letter to Selmy is late.

In the books, the sequence of events surrounding Dany, Jorah, and Selmy is significantly different and offers no explanation. There never is a pardon in the books.

Why isn't Petyr eligible since he married her? I mean, wasn't that his whole reason for marrying her?

Why isn't Petyr eligible since he married her? I mean, wasn't that his whole reason for marrying her?

He married her because he loved her!!! lol

While Lysa was alive, they were acting as regents while Robin was underage. I guess Littlefinger is acting as regent now, but if Robin dies I doubt he could get the Vale. Robin inherited the Vale from Jon Arryn. If Robin dies, some other relative (of Jon Arryn) will inherit it.

Oh Baelish can still try to seize power of the Vale, claiming it's his through marriage. It would be up to the lords to recognize this claim.

Sansa's claim is pretty weak, because Jon Arryn does have surviving siblings and thus potential nieces and nephews who would be able to succeed Sweetrobin.

An excellent episode once again. But apart from it's obvious shock value, the duel scene was the least satisfactory one.

Knowing the book, I found it completely satisfactory. It wasn't long, but to the point, and wonderfully intense. Anything more would just be padding. Shame though to have Pedro Pascal leave the series, he was cool. I didn't remember Oberyn as such an intriguing character from the book.

It's nice how they filmed Tyrion's panic as he realized that his and Oberyn's agendas had diverged. Tyrion needed a dead mountain while Oberyn needed satisfaction.

Jaime's hopeful reactions to Oberyn's apparent victory and the sudden turn of events were also fun to watch. He was genuinely hoping for the Viper to win.

As I said before, the series is at its strongest when it just lets the actors gives us character moments, even if they're just small glimpses of passive bystanders to a scene. And there have been plenty of those this season.

Oh but it does. It's nothing major, but still.

Ha!

Poor Tyrion! The thing is, I'm sure HBO won't let them kill off Tyrion, even if GRRM does kill him off in the books here, but I have no idea how he's gonna get out of this one!

There has been no precedent of the show keeping a major characters that dies in the book. They've kept some plot lines for longer than they happen in the novels, but only where characters would just leave (and perhaps show up again later). I don't think anyone doomed by GRRM is safe on the show just because he's portrayed by a popular actor.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! So now if Roose dies, Ramsay becomes King of the North, right?

Warden, not King. Bolton got the title from (effectively) the Lannisters, and they wouldn't allow a second King in Westeros.

1. Figuring out how to stop the White Walkers when they attack Westeros once Winter comes

and

2. Ruling the best once that situation is resolved. Who, among all the characters in the show, would make the best king or queen? Who would create the best living conditions for the majority of Westeros residents?

Littlefinger doesn't seem a good candidate for either reason.