Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

You forgot the possibility that the end credits are not on this release.

And I expect some very lengthy battle tracks, and something like "The Return of the King" for "There and Back Again". I don't think at all that this soundtrack will be any shorter than the previous ones.

The Dragon Sickness theme presentation starts with the theme I call Dragon Sickness before seguing right to Smaug's A theme then B theme.

I wonder if these 2 are included here because they weren't in the printed sheet music book?

No, just speculating as to what they are. All the bonus tracks on the AUJ OST after the song where theme presentations, so right now I'm guessing these are too.

Strange there doesn't seem to be a separate prologue cue on this release. I wonder if the opening track covers the studio logos, The Hobbit title card, the entire prologue, AND the TBOTFA card, AND the Smaug attack that surely opens the film proper?

I wonder if there is no prologue at all?

For some reason I had thought that maybe the prologue would introduce Dain Ironfoot

I have a feeling the opening track will cover both the prologue and the opening attack. I'm guessing it'll be more of a Smaug-related prologue.

How do we know the opening track is actually Smaug's attack on Esgaroth? Could be something different as well.

Or there could be a very short flashback, which segues right into Bard in his cell, or whatever. Plenty of possibilities.

But seeing how Jackson apparently tries to make this the shortest of all films, I wouldn't be surprised to see no prologue.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see very long tracks either. Since Shore writes long pieces anyway, that's definitely possible.

The Dragon Sickness theme presentation starts with the theme I call Dragon Sickness before seguing right to Smaug's A theme then B theme.

In all fairness this seems like a statement of fact and not speculation Jason. :P

How do we know the opening track is actually Smaug's attack on Esgaroth?

Because the track title is the title of the chapter where Smaug attacks Laketown?

I wonder why the two theme suites (which I'm sure they are) weren't included at the end of the DOS SE.

Could be that those were still not recorded at the time the soundtrack album was locked? Or those two tracks are not from DoS? Or perhaps they decided to save them for later. Rememer that the collector's edition of The Two Towers soundtrack had a bonus track from the FotR EE.

Rememer that the collector's edition of The Two Towers soundtrack had a bonus track from the FotR EE.

Wasn't Farewell To Lorien it the theatrical version of the cue?

No. That's on the original FOTR album.

Rememer that the collector's edition of The Two Towers soundtrack had a bonus track from the FotR EE.

No it contained material from EE.

Karol

Anyway, what you said is true, but back then, it seems they didn't put much thought in the OST limited editions (the FOTR OST limited edition only had collectible cards and screensavers, if I remember correctly. The TTT OST limited edition offered that new track and nothing else. Only the ROTK OST limited edition offered something nice with that DVD including Use Well The Days plus recording sessions footage). At least, not as much as they do with the Hobbit SEs, which already had theme suites at the end of Disc 2 with AUJ. So it's kind of weird they didn't include these 2 tracks with DOS (or at least the Thrain one).

I'd like to precise that I'm not complaining (because many people here seem to interpret everything one says as complaining and bitching). I'm just wondering what's the reasoning behind it.

Yes it is odd I grant you and I too am wondering the inclusion of these tracks on the BOFA release if they truly were written for DoS. But I am just glad they were included somewhere. :)

Now this begs the question, considering the lack of any extra tracks in the main score progamme on the releases, do the SE versions of cues contain considerably more music than the regular edition ones.

No it contained material from EE.

Karol

OK, I get it! Jim already made that clear! No need to repeat it ad nauseam!

I know.

But the theatrical version already appeared on the OST. While this is the EE version. Is that clearer now?

Speaking of which, have you seen this vid yet?

;)

Karol

How dare you to present GoT video in The Hobbit thread!

Although it is a funny one. ;)

Connections within connections. This multiverse thing starts to resemble Shore's Hobbit and LotR scores.

He's a fan of Desplat, I know. He previously mentioned how New Moon was beautiful. And his Hugo has a very Desplatian feel to it, as well.

Karol

Shore the Great and Powerful souding like Desplat in Hugo?!!! Never!

That score, while not tolerable for some people, has a kick-ass main them, by the way!

Karol

Yeap. Actually I have started to warm to Hugo after seeing the film and the main theme of Desplat's New Moon is among the strongest he has written.

I think Rich just points out, and quite rightfully so, that there isn't a bigger difference between the two sets. And that is something we all agree on, anyway.

Karoo

Actually, I was referring to the lack of indication of any tracks being extended for the SE for this one.

But.... your point stands too.

It's your other personality.

Dr. Karol and Mr. Karoo.

You are forgetting his alter ego Il Coccodrillo from the Game of Mods.

I think Rich just points out, and quite rightfully so, that there isn't a bigger difference between the two sets. And that is something we all agree on, anyway.

Karoo

Actually, I was referring to the lack of indication of any tracks being extended for the SE.

That generally comes after, when the tracks' lengths are revealed.

Yes. We can't say anything yet about how special the special edition is going to be, not until we know the track times.

It's your other personality.

Dr. Karol and Mr. Karoo.

You are forgetting his alter ego Il Coccodrillo from the Game of Mods.

He's not Italian, he's Polish, so it should be Krokodyl!

Hey Il Coccodrillo sounds much more glamorous. More like an Errol Flynn type swashbuckler that Karol undoubtedly is in his real life as well.

Anyway, what you said is true, but back then, it seems they didn't put much thought in the OST limited editions (the FOTR OST limited edition only had collectible cards and screensavers, if I remember correctly. The TTT OST limited edition offered that new track and nothing else. Only the ROTK OST limited edition offered something nice with that DVD including Use Well The Days plus recording sessions footage). At least, not as much as they do with the Hobbit SEs, which already had theme suites at the end of Disc 2 with AUJ. So it's kind of weird they didn't include these 2 tracks with DOS (or at least the Thrain one).

I'd like to precise that I'm not complaining (because many people here seem to interpret everything one says as complaining and bitching). I'm just wondering what's the reasoning behind it.

Yes it is odd I grant you and I too am wondering the inclusion of these tracks on the BOFA release if they truly were written for DoS. But I am just glad they were included somewhere. :)

Well for one, I think we can safely say they were only recorded in the sessions for BOFA, not DoS. If it were recorded last year, then we would have heard it in one form or another via the appendices in the EE.

Well for one, I think we can safely say they were only recorded in the sessions for BOFA, not DoS. If it were recorded last year, then we would have heard it in one form or another via the appendices in the EE.

That is certainly one path of deduction one could go on from the evidence we have.

By the way, I guess it confirms that Dain's theme is different from the Dwarf Lords theme (unless we're just going to get an extended Dwarf Lord theme suite. Or maybe it will be a suite including various Dwarvish material).

No it doesn't confirm they're different.

Poor choice of word on my part.

I meant that, to me, it strongly suggests that Dain's theme is different from the Dwarf Lords theme, because I don't see why Shore would write a theme suite for a theme he has already written a suite for. The only other possibility I see, as I said above, is that it could be a suite combining multiple Dwarvish themes (like Beyond The Forest was a medley of all the Elvish material). Maybe it could start with Thorin's theme, then continue with the House Of Durin theme, the Erebor theme and finally with the Dwarf Lords theme (to musically represent Dain taking Thorin's place).

I'm truly hoping that Ironfoot is a fairly lengthy Dwarven suite of sorts. I'd love to hear Dwarrowdelf worked into it also.

And no it's not looking good for a flashback Prologue, but I suppose we might have feared the worst when we saw the title 'My Dear Frodo', which doesn't exactly hint at the content of the scene in the way 'Quest for Erebor' did. The meeting of the Dwarf Lords at Ered Luin would be great to see. Maybe it's being saved for the EE. Would be a first to change the entire beginning of the film but he might feel a need for the TC to get started straight away.

I'm expecting a couple of these tracks to be rather long affairs. I can't see the film being much shorter than DoS. And I suppose this confirms no more songs. I was hoping for the reprise of the Misty Mountains song sung in Erebor.

And regarding 'Thrain' - any chance this could include some of the music for when Gandalf 'heals' Thrain in the DoS: EE?

By the way, I guess it confirms that Dain's theme is different from the Dwarf Lords theme (unless we're just going to get an extended Dwarf Lord theme suite. Or maybe it will be a suite including various Dwarvish material).

No it doesn't confirm they're different.

Poor choice of word on my part.

I meant that, to me, it strongly suggests that Dain's theme is different from the Dwarf Lords theme, because I don't see why Shore would write a theme suite for a theme he has already written a suite for. The only other possibility I see, as I said above, is that it could be a suite combining multiple Dwarvish themes (like Beyond The Forest was a medley of all the Elvish material). Maybe it could start with Thorin's theme, then continue with the House Of Durin theme, the Erebor theme and finally with the Dwarf Lords theme (to musically represent Dain taking Thorin's place).

I'm expecting a couple of these tracks to be rather long affairs. I can't see the film being much shorter than DoS. And I suppose this confirms no more songs. I was hoping for the reprise of the Misty Mountains song sung in Erebor.

And regarding 'Thrain' - any chance this could include some of the music for when Gandalf 'heals' Thrain in the DoS: EE?

While it would be in line with the novel, a song in the middle of the siege would not perhaps be the best most expedient way of advancing the storytelling.