John Williams: A Night At The Movies (October 25th 2011, Lincoln Center, New York Philharmonic)

obiwan71

So, at the moment, there are 4 of us: Joe Brausam, obiwan71, MAG-SI and yours truly, but how about many others - Maurizio, JWfangirl1992, proteussyndrome, Yoda75 and Johnnyecks who all expressed interest/intention to attend this concert? ;)

Sadly, I can't join the posse... Family and work obligations prevented me to set up this trip. However, I've already seen JW in concert two times and I even snagged him for a picture, so I can say I already had my moment of glory :)

Enjoy the concert and have the time of your life!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So were any of you guys hoping to meet up before or after the concert for drinks or a meal? I'll be going alone to the concert because I couldn't convince anyone to spend the money to go, so I'm free to do something.

The website didn't post a program yet, but FSMO posted this blurb about iron their concerts listing....

Oct. 25, New York City, Avery Fisher Hall, John Williams, cond.; “John Williams Conducts the New York Philhamonic,” featuring Spartacus (North), Vertigo (Herrmann), various Williams works, and accompanying film clips.

I'm really excited to hear Spartacus live, that will be awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

It's just speculation on my part, I wish I could know more! :)

Since the movie will open in those very days in Europe, I thought maybe JW could make a nice Tintin present to an American audience.

That would surely be nice but what matters more to me right now is how we could corner him for some autographs and photos after the concert! :P Does anybody who has already been to the Avery Fisher Hall have any idea where he might come out of the building after the concert so we could wait for him there?

The only part I was planning on recording was Spartacus.

That being said, last time Williams conducted the Phil they put the recording on their site for a limited time the following March or April, I believe.

So were any of you guys hoping to meet up before or after the concert for drinks or a meal? I'll be going alone to the concert because I couldn't convince anyone to spend the money to go, so I'm free to do something.

Sure thing, I'm game and hopefully the others are too! :) I think maybe after the concert would be even better since we could exchange impressions, opinions etc., though I'm somewhat worried I won't be able to speak, especially if I manage to meet the man after the concert! :D

But we somehow have to agree on something which will enable us to recognise each other as JWFan guys, anybody have any idea? :)

So, coming to this concert are: MAG-SI, Joe Brausam, obiwan71, dfenton85 and Maglorfin. Did I forget anybody? Yoda75 and Johnnyecks, are you guys coming?

I paid $225 for my ticket. I didn't really want to pay that much, but the last time he was in NYC was 2007, and he's 79 now. He may never come back to NYC after this, so I figured I'd go for it.

Same, 100 more than back in 07 but for the same logic. If this is his last show here I want to make damn sure I got a decent seat =]

EDIT: Back in 04 when I went he came out through the garage immediately got into his limo and left, I was so close I got there as he was stepping in. Last time I hanged around after the Open Rehearsal (which I am quite upset they arent doing this year) and he was signing autographs but by the time I got to the front he was leaving -__-. Bit of bad luck for me

Sure thing, I'm game and hopefully the others are too! :) I think maybe after the concert would be even better since we could exchange impressions, opinions etc., though I'm somewhat worried I won't be able to speak, especially if I manage to meet the man after the concert! :D

But we somehow have to agree on something which will enable us to recognise each other as JWFan guys, anybody have any idea? :)

So, coming to this concert are: MAG-SI, Joe Brausam, obiwan71, dfenton85 and Maglorfin. Did I forget anybody? Yoda75 and Johnnyecks, are you guys coming?

After the concert works best for me anyway, because I'll be rushing to get to the concert as it is! I can't get out of work until 5pm that day..

Ways to identify each other....I'm not creative enough to come up with an idea! But I'll definitely be heading for the stage door after the concert to try and catch him, so seeing as I'm sure we all plan to do that it might be a good spot to agree on meeting each other. I'm having a tough time deciding what I'd like to get signed though, if I get the opportunity!

Haha if we come up with something to wear I'm in, but I'm still a youngin' even though I've been a boardie (and a horrible one at that) for the past five years so no drinks for me.

According to the Phil's Facebook, Gil Shaham will be at the concert too! He'll be performing the solos for Schindler's List, Fiddler on the Roof, and Scent of a Woman (Por Una Cabeza). Should be really cool to have him there!

I think I'll bring the Born on the Fourth of July signature edition score for him to sign, if there is the opportunity. I have a strong emotional connection with that score, so I figure it would be appropriate.

I bought the original E.T. soundtrack from back in '77 (?) thats definitely coming with me again this year. I really wish he would do a meet and greet type thing, would love for the chance to chat with him.

Edit: Haha Faleel, you guys can have fun with that. I have no need, teenage girl at a John Williams concert I'll stick out like a sore thumb lol

It would be great indeed to have a meeting after the concert. Now I'll have to locate that stage door everyone's talking about.

Well, I feel a bit silly. I posted the following in a new thread (thanks whomever moved it), not noticing this one and the asking of similar questions!! Sorry guys! Any info on that stage door would be most welcome!!

Hello to all! I feel a bit cheeky asking this, not being a regular poster, but here goes. I'm flying in from Ireland next Monday, with the sole purpose of attending the concert with the New York Philharmonic next Tuesday (I fly home on Wednesday!!). As a life long fan of the Maestro, this will be a huge tick off my bucket list. I was wondering if it's worth my while bringing along anything for him to sign. Does anyone know if he signs at the stage door at his concerts or is it purely down to luck, being in the right place at the right time? Attending the concert will be unbelievably brilliant, I know it will; getting a chance to meet him, even for a couple of seconds and thank him for the music would be incredible. Has anyone had the pleasure or can anyone offer advice? Many thanks.

Williams does not have a history of signing things at the NY Phil concerts. In fact, if I remember correctly JWFanGirl got royally snubbed at the last one.

That being said, it's worth the try. I'll certainly be waiting for him!

Williams does not have a history of signing things at the NY Phil concerts. In fact, if I remember correctly JWFanGirl got royally snubbed at the last one.

That being said, it's worth the try. I'll certainly be waiting for him!

I wasn't completely snubbed, but I believe I was 15 at the last concert and I was waiting by the stage of the Open Rehearsal as he was talking to the head violinist and I was like calling his name trying to get his attention with a few other people and he ignored us all. Not gonna lie I was pretty upset, especially only being fifteen but he is a busy man.

I definitely am going to be a little more aggressive in trying to get his autograph this time especially if it may be my last opportunity!

I wasn't completely snubbed, but I believe I was 15 at the last concert, and I was like calling his name trying to get his attention and he ignored me. Not gonna lie I was pretty upset, especially only being fifteen but he is a busy man.

I definitely am going to be a little more aggressive in trying to get his autograph this time especially if it may be my last opportunity!

Palpatine.jpg

"This is an unexpected move for her... its too agressive"

XD

4 more days!

The Born on the Fourth of July signature edition I ordered doesn't look like its going to come in time, so I guess I'll try to get my Blue Box book signed instead - I already have Thorne's and Jones' signatures on it, so I might as well complete the collection! (Minus Courage of course....)

Program is up now:

-Hooray for Hollywood (with film)

- March from the Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold)

- Scene D'Amore from Vertigo (Herrmann)

- Forest Meeting/Love Theme and March from Spartacus (North)

- Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind w/film (Williams)

- Adventures on Earth from ET (Williams)

- Tribute to the Film Composer w/film (Various/Williams)

- Por Una Cabeza from Scent of a Woman (Gardel)

- Three Pieces from Schindler's List (Williams)

- Excerpts from Fiddler on the Roof (Bock/Williams)

- Main Title from Star Wars w/film (Williams)

Last time around he did 3 encores, so I'd expect 2 or 3 this time as well. Nice program though!

Stage door for after the concert is on West 65th St.

I'm actually happy with the program, I'm excited to hear Spartacus in concert, and Close Encounters and ET were pieces which I really wished would have been on the 2007 program.

Is that where he left from last time? I wasn't able to wait after the concert because I was with a group. It makes sense to me though, at his other shows he's usually caught exiting through the stage doors.

Why does this have to be on a Tuesday night? I'd consider driving out to this and driving back right after it was on the weekend

I'm sure that he'll perform, at the very least, a piece from War Horse. When I saw him in New York a few years ago (2006?), he played "A Prayer for Peace" which was not on the concert bill. I would think he'd throw out some beautiful War Horse music, and hope for the best with "The Adventures of Tintin" OST first track.

Tim

Oh, and if anyone is in the Houston area in January, the Houston Symphony Orchestra is playing a Spielberg/Williams concert.

Here

Have fun guys and enjoy the concert! I hope you all get to meet John Williams! Best of luck! :)

P.S. Let's hope Williams performs something from War Horse or Tintin.