Elfman / Burton Box Set Coming.

Ollie

Hard drive space is cheap in 2011. You could (many would say should) rip everything lossless, and click off the "convert to 128k for portable devices" or whatever the option is called for ipod versions

That's true. Leave the original files on your hard drive as lossless but do what Jay suggested about the converting for portable devices, that's what I've done with the music on my iPhone.

A single terabyte external drive is under $100 these days. In fact there's one on Newegg for $69.99 and it's a Western Digital (what I have). Koray, if you can afford a $500 box set like this, surely you can afford an external terabyte drive. It would be the best investment for you and it's been the best invest me for me.

I've got a separate folder away from my main collection of scores called "iPod Playlists" (before I got the iPhone). I use those to import them into iTunes and convert the files to the high quality 128k AAC format for my iPhone, since I only have a 16GB iPhone. The scores in these files also have cues that run into each other like in the film. As I said though, the original files of these scores are left alone in another folder.

Edit: I also use Audiograbber to rip all my CD's that I get and save them to the main collection folder (called Film Scores). Then if I want those particular scores on my iPhone, I copy them into the iPod Playlists folder and import them into iTunes.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at external hard drives recently, but they are quite expensive (at least at Best Buy ;)) Haven't done too much digging into them, because I've also been really looking for some good headphones. The fact that I just paid $500 for a music box is another reason to cut back on my spending for a while :lol:

I would love to get a Time Capsule, but that shit's fucking expensive. I'll most likely get an external HD in a couple months, because I only have about 25GB left on my internal.

As for the convert option, I've had that checked for a long time now. Cleared up 20GB on my iPod. Everything in my iTunes is a mishmash of bit rates though. When I first got my Macbook around 3 years ago, I imported my whole collection in 192 mp3 I think. Huge mistake, for the past year or two I've been importing in 256 AAC. And then there's of course some unmentionable stuff or digitally purchased stuff that's in varying bit rates of mp3, and now a few lossless CDs in there.

I've been looking at external hard drives recently, but they are quite expensive (at least at Best Buy ;))

Best Buy is the worst place for computer products. Check out Newegg.com that's where I do all my shopping for PC stuff and most of the time they'll have things cheaper there than any where else, especially for stuff like terabyte drives. Western Digital has been really excellent for this type of product and hasn't let me down.

But no matter what , you can't save your music files on 1 drive only. Each file has to be at least on 2 drives at any one time

But no matter what , you can't save your music files on 1 drive only. Each file has to be at least on 2 drives at any one time

Right. It's only a "backup" if it's not your only copy. If it's only on an external drive or a CD-R/DVD-+R, and not on your primary or an iPod or another computer, it's not your backup. It's your primary.

Other than my iPod I just keep my files on one external hard drive.

Can you convert files to 128 that are already on the ipod without having to remove them and then reload?

I was going to say yes but now I'm not sure without actually looking at iTunes.

I'm thinking about buying an Ipod and ripping the music from the skeleton pen drive or whatever it's called. I've never used an Ipod and ripped music on it. Is it difficult to do ? And can I rip all the music from the skeleton pen drive and on to an Ipod ? I mean can it be done ? If so will that be very difficult to do as well ?

I keep two active external backups (and I have another two older drives that I just never bothered getting rid of).

A bit excessive maybe, but I had an incident quite a few years ago where due to a mixup with mapped drives, I thought I'd lost everything, and I only kept periodical backups on DVD.

Add to that just how easy it is to accidentally delete something (I have a vague recollection of having to re-do a rip or edit or something, when I deleted what I thought was an older file, but actually wasn't, because Windows explorer was being slow to change drives). Ever since then, when I get anything rare, the first thing I do is make copies of it.

I'm thinking about buying an Ipod and ripping the music from the skeleton pen drive or whatever it's called. I've never used an Ipod and ripped music on it. Is it difficult to do ? And can I rip all the music from the skeleton pen drive and on to an Ipod ? I mean can it be done ? If so will that be very difficult to do as well ?

Get out much? ;)

What do you use to listen to music right now?

Well the reactions here are more positive than at FSM. :lol:

What the hell there's to complain? There's so much stuff crammed in this huge set it's impossible to complain--well, price tag/delayed delivery excluded, of course.

Maurizio--who if will reborn as a billionaire will buy this set ;)

Apparently the box is flimsy and quite a few were received damaged, including several that have a broken "music box" feature.

I'm complaining because I can't afford it....yet!

It's not flimsy, the sides just flex a little bit. One guy opened up the lid and fixed his music box. The speaker in there kinda rattles around, so sometimes the sound is really crappy if it's not sitting in the right position.

I think people were probably just expecting a more sturdy box given the price.

EDIT - It's taken me almost ten years, but I've made 100 posts. Let's celebrate.

Get out much? ;)

What do you use to listen to music right now?

Sorry. I know that was a dumb question. But I've never been interested in getting or buying an ipod. Call me old fashioned or old school, but I always preferred listening to music on CDs. With this B/E Box I was thinking about ripping the music to an Ipod. B/c I didn't want to keep opening the box (as well as the cds themselves) over and over to the point I wear it out. I want to preserve it. However I will listen to the albums once on disc. As well as read the book and watch the dvd at least once. Therefore I can listen to the music as much as I like on an ipod.

I was just curious if it's difficult to rip from the skeleton drive thingy to an ipod not to mention is it easy to rip music to an ipod period ? I just wanted to know before I decide to buy one and rip it myself.

Well the second question was serious. Do you use your computer at all for listening to music, or just an old school stereo set-up?

I've listened to music on stereo/cd players/anything with a disc drive, but I've never really listened to music digitally unless it's samples from an album.

Okay, well the first step would be to download iTunes.

If you just want to preserve the box set and not have to take the CDs in and out of the sleeves, then you don't even need an iPod. You could cut out that practice of using the disc every time by simply switching to this program. An iPod would be something to get if you want to listen to music on the go: in the car, at work, out jogging, etc.

Okay, well the first step would be to download iTunes.

If you just want to preserve the box set and not have to take the CDs in and out of the sleeves, then you don't even need an iPod. You could cut out that practice of using the disc every time by simply switching to this program. An iPod would be something to get if you want to listen to music on the go: in the car, at work, out jogging, etc.

An ipod will do just fine. I just wanted to know if it'll be a very difficult task for me to download or rip music from the skeleton drive to an ipod. No biggie if it is. It won't stop me from at least trying.

Didn't you say there was some special DRM on these skeleton key MP3's?

I could be wrong, but isn't it just that they're tagged as "Read-only" files, and you can undo that through Windows Explorer with a simple mouseclick or two?

It's not difficult at all. You click a button a wait. But you will need iTunes, so may as well download that now and transfer all the files from the USB into your music library on there.

Okay. Thank you for your time and help.

Didn't you say there was some special DRM on these skeleton key MP3's?

I could be wrong, but isn't it just that they're tagged as "Read-only" files, and you can undo that through Windows Explorer with a simple mouseclick or two?

Yes. Select all the files, and either press Alt+Enter to bring up the Properties, right click on the files, bring up the File menu, or use the right mouse button on the keyboard, among other methods.

But designating files as "read-only" should not prevent you from copying them from one drive to another. Giving them invalid CRC values would, but that's just nasty. Now I don't know if copying files to an iPod using iTunes alters the files in any way beyond renaming them to iTunes' cryptic file-naming system (because I don't use iTunes for iPod management).

Making the files read-only does act as an extra barrier against accidental deletion.

I mean the guys making this box aren't stupid - they know that if the files are just mp3s, some people won't use their fancy itunes-thingy.

So it's "DRM" not for piracy, but for the protection against people who might be stupid, careless, or just unlucky, and end up with an empty stick when they "move" the files to their computer instead of simply "copy"?

That's fortuitous, since most wouldn't know to use Recuva (free) or RescuePro (not free) to recover the files from the thumb drive once moved, deleted, or corrupted.

I listened to the Nightmare Before Christmas disc last night, it was FABULOUS.

That score is truly some of Elfman's best work, and the CD as it stands is a great listening experience. All the added score cues are WONDERFUL!

EDIT: I'm a moron

Gah, you're right! It IS on there, and I DO have it!

What happened was: The track listing for Disc 16 on the official site says that there are only 12 tracks of Nightmare Before Christmas material, so I just dragged the first 12 tracks into winamp without looking.

However, there are actually THIRTEEN tracks on NBXM material on that disc - the website skipped over "Poor Jack" for some reason.

Bah!

It's been a while since I've seen it, but Patrick Stewart's narration was NOT in the film, right?

Bad news from WB (for me). My credit card number was stolen, and as a result I got a new one and transfered all my purchases over. For whatever reason, the Elfman boxset didn't transfer over. So WB cancelled it. That's fine, but what really pisses me off is they never notified me that they canceled it! So thinking it was just late shipping, I emailed WB and asked them for a status report. 4 days later, they reply telling me that my order was cancelled. :angry:

At first I was just slightly ticked off - I realized I could order a non-Collector's Edition. The autographed bonus CD arrived before my order was cancelled, and I don't really care about the certificate. But then I realized that the non-Collector's version won't ship until May 3rd! So I have another month of waiting to do. Thanks, Warner Brothers.

But back to the boxset, I have a question: is there an instrument(s) that takes up the melody in the absence of the singer, or is it literally just the original track minus the vocals?

Bad news from WB (for me). My credit card number was stolen, and as a result I got a new one and transfered all my purchases over. For whatever reason, the Elfman boxset didn't transfer over. So WB cancelled it. That's fine, but what really pisses me off is they never notified me that they canceled it! So thinking it was just late shipping, I emailed WB and asked them for a status report. 4 days later, they reply telling me that my order was cancelled. :angry:

At first I was just slightly ticked off - I realized I could order a non-Collector's Edition. The autographed bonus CD arrived before my order was cancelled, and I don't really care about the certificate. But then I realized that the non-Collector's version won't ship until May 3rd! So I have another month of waiting to do. Thanks, Warner Brothers.

Wow, that's fucked up. See this is what I don't understand. If they cancelled your order, where does that go? It's not like they update the site with "5 Copies Now Available" or anything. So that means a Collector's Edition is just laying around somewhere. Makes no sense to me. I think you should ask this question to them.

It's just the original track minus the vocals.

Ah ok, thanks.

Wow, that's fucked up. See this is what I don't understand. If they cancelled your order, where does that go? It's not like they update the site with "5 Copies Now Available" or anything. So that means a Collector's Edition is just laying around somewhere. Makes no sense to me. I think you should ask this question to them.

I would guess that they offer cancelled Collector's Editions to the first few people who bought the regular version.

It's just the original track minus the vocals.

Ah ok, thanks.

No problem! :)

But i think that in this case there are intruments that accompany the same music the vocals sing.

I found this strange as usually the instruments play 'counterpoint', not both melody and accompainment.

Not real happy with the slap-dash Alice extras. The battle music is a mess. I wish the set had less clipping. Ah well. Maybe they'll fix that for the 35th anniversary.

Just heard the extra clips for Sleepy Hollow, and 10 minutes of space on the disc wasn't enough to expand the score properly. The second half of the main titles is riddled with microedits (in fact I'm stunned that Elfman approved releasing a cue in this state), and several other cues are selections from larger cues. I can use a few moments to improve my DVD rips, but otherwise, I'm f****g glad I didn't buy this box :P

I really hope LLL/Intrada has plans to release this, along with any others from this box that haven't had half a disc of extra material.