What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader - David Arnold

It's still fairly enjoyable, with touches of Arnold's stylistic choices -- mostly harmonic with light "Stargate" touches (like the choir usage in "Lilandil and the Dark Island" and "Time to Go Home". I do like how he weaves in Harry Gregson-Williams' theme in sparingly but effectively (better-arranged too!). This is a more fun listening experience than Gregson-Williams' previous two Narnia scores.

Well, there is a clear progression of major ideas and you can hear everything coming together. It made me realise how the first 10 minutes of An Unexpected Journey turns out to be the crib for all crucial material in the trilogy - House of Durin, Erebor, Thorin, Arkenstone, Mirkwood Elves, Smaug. In some ways, it's even more successful and consequential than The Lord of the Rings prologue.

Karol

Absolutely. I loved the Hobbit prologue from the beginning but it became even better with that realization of how it presents so many central elements of the entire story arc in musical form in those 8 minutes. The Lord of the Rings prologue was a rewrite and the previous version largely adopted to highlight the Power of Mordor motif with assorted hints of other central themes. They did go for the overture-like feel with several themes presented in succession more heavily with the film version, which in particular gave the History of the Ring its prominence. With the Hobbit Shore obviously had a clearer image of what the prologue would be, had themes fleshed out and approved and so could give the audience a truly comprehensive opening to set the stage for the whole story. He had to revise passages for the final film but it is mostly intact thematically in the movie. It is really satisfying from musical storytelling perspective how these 7 ot 8 new central motifs are already place right at the beginning and you can chart their progress from one score to the next.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 by John Powell: As I have said before the sheer joie de vivre of this music is electrifying. Powell's score is a powerhouse of themes, very colorful and deft orchestrations and exhilarating orchestral and choral writing that really combines majestic with intimate.As I have said this music sounds like Vaughan Williams on steroids and it is quite true as Powell's themes seem to spring from the same folk music source as some of his aforementioned esteemed colleague's music but he then gives them a very modern spin and it all works brilliantly. This is also big music that doesn't stint on emotion or flair which makes it highly singular on album and it is one of the few albums from last year that grabbed from the first track and kept my attention until the last note.

I after a few listens I actually came to much the same conclusion about the score as you did pub.

You hit on my main issue with his music which I'm sure I've mentioned before: the sense that you can hear the "skeleton" of the music, holding it all together in some precisely worked out way, depriving it of any real spirit or organic quality. I felt like I heard that less here than ever before in his work. It still afflicts his more extended action music.

You hit on my main issue with his music which I'm sure I've mentioned before: the sense that you can hear the "skeleton" of the music, holding it all together in some precisely worked out way, depriving it of any real spirit or organic quality. I felt like I heard that less here than ever before in his work. It still afflicts his more extended action music.

But it's still very much there. It's frustrating, because this score features some lovely moments like the dark material in "The House of Abrasax" (sometimes even recalling Williams' Darth Sideous material with male basses) or the lovely harmonizations of the main themes in "A Wedding Darker". But then you get grating cues like the 3rd Movement in the first four cues or in the banal final cue (the bonus action cue). There's something about the album presentation that also makes a lot of these cues seem a bit nondescript.

I'm not yet convinced in Giacchino's ability to write themes either. But there are some nice variations that I enjoyed.

Also not a fan of the shouting trailer-like choirs (with some exceptions). Just didn't click with me.

In all fairness, I've just listened to it once so far. He's dressed it up quite well, with neat orchestrations, flashy choirs and boy sopranos, nice fuzzy IIIm - I progressions that take after Shore, but I don't quite feel it. He has great ingredients here, but I really wish he went all the way with some of the more extroverted stuff (the "throat-singing" --not really, but I liked the really deep texture of those male voices--, the polyphonic wind writing, etc etc. As it is, this score seems to lack conviction, half-baked with all the right elements, flirting with greatness but just falling short of it as a whole.

I'll have to listen to it more before I can offer more thoughts on it. Don't hate me TGP!

Really have to get cracking on those Lost albums soon...

This is still my favourite Giacchino theme:

Giacchino excels when he's given more intimate projects like the Pixar films.

His thematic writing takes a back seat with the blockbusters, and Jupiter Ascending hasn't really convinced me that he's the right choice for grand space operas.

1941 by John Williams: A fantastically entertaining comedic romp with a brilliant swaggering main theme march which along with several smaller themes ties everything together so well. At times the music suffers from the quick switch of direction in mid-phrase but on the whole Williams plays things dramatically straight faced (when he isn't winking at you through countless musical nods from Jaws to "I'm Poppey the Sailorman") until the uproaring finale where no ammo is spared.

Dear Lemon Lima (Gordon). All plucky waltzes and music box flourishes, a kind of Amélie meets Pushing Daisies without the beating heart of either, Sasha Gordon's score is overweeningly precious even at a relatively brisk 20 minutes.

The Lost World - Jurassic Park by John Williams: Hands down one of the best jungle adventure scores I have heard. Johnny could use a bit more of the wonderful main theme throughout but he makes up for this by anchoring much of the music on sheer rhythms for his relentless but groovy action set pieces that are some of the most intense, furious and kinetic of his career. As with Jurassic Park the composer succeeds in creating an entirely self contained musical world and journey but since this is a sequel he at suitable moments treats listeners with appearances of the old themes from the first film but does so quite judiciously and steers mostly into a whole new direction, which I think benefits the music.

Johnny could use a bit more of the wonderful main theme throughout

Spielberg thought so and they tracked the hell out of that theme throughout the movie.

Yeah. Perhaps too late in the post production to ask Johnny to write more new variations.

Medal of Honor: Frontline by Michael Giacchino

:music: Hellboy by Marco Beltrami. I'm not actually listening to Varese album but watching the film with isolated track and composer's commentary. Actually, we could use an expansion for this one.

Karol

Not that Clemenson! The other Clemensson!

Medal of Honor: Frontline by Michael Giacchino

:music: Hellboy by Marco Beltrami. I'm not actually listening to Varese album but watching the film with isolated track and composer's commentary. Actually, we could use an expansion for this one.

Karol

Agreed. The score is one of Beltrami's best.

The+River+Wild+cover.jpg

THE RIVER WILD - Jerry Goldsmith

As drab as i remembered it. A quick cleaner job after Maurice Jarre's more archaic take got the boot, Jerry really did a sit-down-strike on creativity to deliver what is essentially an expansive 100-piece orchestra doing second-hand imitations of RAMBO and THE WALTONS. While being much too slick and professional to be called bad, it's so uninspired and mechanical in its very calculated effects that it - Murphy's Law! - figures that it is the sole candidate from Goldsmith's vast library of genius to receive the honor of being featured as the only in-depth demonstration of the composer at work for Fred Karlin's docu.

After receiving much more unbelievable expansions of movie soundtracks in the last 10 years, it isn't really hurting the cause (that Jarre's vastly more engaging score is on disc 2 helps enormously) though it still figures that now even Jeff Bond of FSM regards this as something to remember. Trivia note: this was the first of Goldsmith 'wet' scores after being a relatively dry fellow before - this one really sounds huge and epic though it sadly doesn't help to hide its vacuousness.

I gather that I'm fortunate to have not seen the second Amazing Spider-Man film, but I'm listening to Zimmer's score again after letting it sit for a while. This is actually pretty good and I'm starting to like it more, though the more subtle moments are still more appealing to me than the action stuff. There's a really stirring moment at the end of the first disc that sounds like it probably leads into the end credits, and I can imagine some equally stirring cinematic sequence to go along with it (which, again, I gather isn't what actually happened). But it's nice that the music conjures those thoughts up on its own. Similar to how I listen to Powell's Hancock: imagining some very fine film to compliment the music.

While being much too slick and professional to be called bad, it's so uninspired and mechanical in its very calculated effects that it - Murphy's Law! - figures that it is the sole candidate from Goldsmith's vast library of genius to receive the honor of being featured as the only in-depth demonstration of the composer at work for Fred Karlin's docu.

Someone should have a go at restoring that recording of the Mephisto Waltz sessions. Fascinating watch.

I gather that I'm fortunate to have not seen the second Amazing Spider-Man film, but I'm listening to Zimmer's score again after letting it sit for a while. This is actually pretty good and I'm starting to like it more, though the more subtle moments are still more appealing to me than the action stuff.

There's something exceedingly powerful about the I->v->VIIb progression, something you hear a lot of in certain strands of pop but rarely in film music.

10362355_739381406117465_1151222982_a.jp

SATURN 3 - ELMER BERNSTEIN

If I rewind my life about 30 years, the music of this film must've already been stuck in my tiny little mind. In fact it was one of the first instances where film music got engraved into my brain, and never to leave again. Way before Aliens, before it all took off and the passion grew.

About the score I can say this: Bernstein wrote some really fantastic and memorable material, otherwise I would've forgotten it by the time Intrada finally released it. And boy, was I happy as a schoolkid when it was released in 2006. The cues that I remember best after seeing the film are 'Training Hector' and 'The Big Dive'. I really love how Intrada handled the album, even if the recording isn't the best, it's pure nostalgia for me and a modern re-recording wouldn't be the same, with all those touches that Bernstein used.

Awesome as fuck with a sci-fi twist, exactly how I like my scores, coupled with some cool suspense and a theme that never got out of my head. Great score !

I gather that I'm fortunate to have not seen the second Amazing Spider-Man film, but I'm listening to Zimmer's score again after letting it sit for a while. This is actually pretty good and I'm starting to like it more, though the more subtle moments are still more appealing to me than the action stuff. There's a really stirring moment at the end of the first disc that sounds like it probably leads into the end credits, and I can imagine some equally stirring cinematic sequence to go along with it (which, again, I gather isn't what actually happened). But it's nice that the music conjures those thoughts up on its own. Similar to how I listen to Powell's Hancock: imagining some very fine film to compliment the music.

Hey I like Hancock!

Wow, sounds interesting. How does it compare to Slipstream?

I had never heard a second of Slipstream before Perseverance released it. Saturn 3 is a childhood favourite.

I like em both a lot, but they're very different scores. There is a haunting melody Bernstein wrote for the film which ended up not being used in the final cut, he later re-used it as Taarna's theme in Heavy Metal as he felt it was too precious to not use it in some way. He was absolutely right ! The theme for the evil robot is extremely cool and goes like this.

Cool, I'll definitely check Saturn 3 out, I like Slipstream, and other Bernstein scores I've heard (which admittedly is not a lot)

Chad Seiter - Star Trek: The Game

Such great riffs on Giacchino's themes and melodies, in some ways I like this more than Giacchino's first score! It's lacking the emotional component, and is mostly all action and suspense, but it's still a great listen. I'd have no complaints in Seiter got to score the third movie!

James Horner - Airshow Buzz Squadron

Lovely pieces. Can't wait for Horner's 4 (!!!) 2015 scores

You know what... I also love what Seiter did on the Star Trek game, his action cues are so focused and relentless they're much more enjoyable than what Giacchino did for either film. His other disciple, Chris Tilton is another very talented composer I wouldn't mind doing some hi-octane blockbuster.

=

And what is that? Never heard of it? Is it the same thing as Write Your Soul?

:music:Jupiter Ascending

Karol

Sound of Bells: American Premierés for Brass by various composers, performed by The Bay Brass: A really neat compilation of American works for brass ensemble by John Williams, Bruce Broughton, Kevin Puts, Michael Tilson Thomas, Scott Hiltzik and Morten Lauridsen. Noteworthy for containing world premiere commercial recordings of John Williams's Fanfare for A Festive Occasion and Aloft...To the Royal Masthead the album is really a wonderful collection of very varied Americana brass writing that spans from one end of the spectrum to the next in style and colour.

=

And what is that? Never heard of it? Is it the same thing as Write Your Soul?

:music:Jupiter Ascending

Karol

Write Your Soul aka The Horsemen. ;)

I'd like to know too by the way.

Oh I see, this is the same piece that's named differently in various places. Write Your Soul was the iTunes title for it, I think. And yes, it is entertaining. Looking forward to all the scores Horner has got in store for 2015 (four, you say?).

Karol

Yes, he has four 2015 scores coming out!

Aviation: The Invisible Highway, an IMAX Film by Brian J. Terwilliger
Wolf Totem, a Chinese drama by Jean-Jacques Annaud
The 33, about the Chilean mining disaster by Patricia Riggen
Southpaw, a boxing movie by Antoine Fuqua
All sound interesting to me!

Michael Giacchino - Jupiter Ascending

Well. When I started listening to this (BTW, I actually avoiding listening to samples and website leaks before the OST came out this time, which I rarely do. So I went in completely cold except for one watch of that first video game youtube video that had some score under it) I was afraid that this would be a score by Giacchino I finally "just don't click with", like Erik Woods with Star Trek Into Darkness or Koray Savas with Super 8. The symphony, frankly, didn't do much for me. But then the film cues started, and I liked it more and more as it went on.

There's some really cool action writing here, and an overall really cool blend of orchestra and choral work throughout. The OST seems to lack a narrative through-line - it feels more of a collection of ideas.

I've listened to it probably 3-4 times since, and I have grown to like the symphony more each time.

BTW, one thing: One of the main themes, the one that runs through Abrasax Family Tree - I swear is SO FAMILIAR to me, like it's almost note for note from some other score. I've been racking my brain but can't figure out what. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I counted 8 recurring themes in this score. At first it seemed unstructured but once you start noticing the connective dots, it all starts to make sense.

The suite is the LEAST impressive thing on this album. It's a very straighforward Giacchino presentation of his ideas. Each of the ideas in it gets better variations within the score. You got to love the variations on the main theme in the Wedding track.

But yeah, it took more than two listens to "get it". It's like The Golden Compass in this respect.

Karol

I try to see every film Williams and Giacchino score in the theaters, though I missed seeing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I did see This Is Where I Leave You, though

I'm starting to wonder if I just recognized it from either the trailer, or that youtube video of that mobile gameplay that turned up. I haven't rewatched either yet to see

The theme in the trailer was the one in the final part of movement no.1. And it's very much like the variations closing the score. I call it the Ascension theme (just because I need a name).

The Abrasax theme is similiar to a lot of evil themes/motifs around there... Nero's theme would be another one of those. Or Patrick Doyle's Voldemort theme.

Karol

Don Davis - The Matrix Reloaded (La-La Land)

Love this score, I love the blend of orchestra and electronics. I even like all the non-Davis pieces included in the main presentation. Great release of a great score. I don't really play the bonus tracks much.