La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Discussion thread

Jay

I got the CD today. It took only 4 days to arrive to The Netherlands!

And? Your first impressions?

Blown away? Or did it not quite reach your expectations? :)

I just started to listen to the CD. I'm at disc 1, track 6 now. Too bad they didn't fix the speed on the "Prologue". And I've always loved "The Bedroom" cue, so it's great to have it now apart from the film.

Wait, they did not fix the speed issue?

My ears say no.

When you listen to the tracks that are already on the OS album, would you say the sound quality is better on the LLL album?

The sound quality is about the same.

Can anybody address this? The alternate version is suppose to be faster,but it's 5 seconds longer than the regular version.

The alternate version is 1:35, the normal version is 1:30.

Not that they are very different, but the "Presenting the Hook" tracks are different takes of the same cue (on the LLL set). So they may be worth holding onto for that lol

First half or second half? (The pirate town jig or when Smee brings the hook to the captain?)

Not that they are very different, but the "Presenting the Hook" tracks are different takes of the same cue (on the LLL set). So they may be worth holding onto for that lol

First half or second half? (The pirate town jig or when Smee brings the hook to the captain?)

And which take is better, and why? In your opinion, that is? :)

Wait, they did not fix the speed issue?

My ears say no.

And that is correct. They retained the OST version of the Prologue on the LLL set which is a pitched down version and hence a little slower. I guess Williams had his input on this.

Mine came in the mail yesterday- very fast service!

The set is wonderful...the only thing I miss from the boot is the orchestral only version of "When You're Alone"....I do wish that had been included.

I'm glad to finally get all the ticking clock music in good sound :)

Mine came in the mail yesterday- very fast service!

The set is wonderful...the only thing I miss from the boot is the orchestral only version of "When You're Alone"....I do wish that had been included.

I'm glad to finally get all the ticking clock music in good sound :)

That particular orchestral rendition of When You're Alone found on the boots is not from the recording sessions as far as I can remember. I think it is taken from some or other commercial compilation album.

The bonus track version of the Prologue is the one with the speed fixed, isn't it?

no. somehow williams or whoever involved liked the altered prologue and did not corrrect it (if the case is that masters could not be located, i think that they should have altered the speed of the album master - i dont think noticeable quality drop would have happened, so it must have been a deliberate creative decision) .

the alternate is a different piece that runs at the correct speed.

no. somehow williams or whoever involved liked the altered prologue and did not corrrect it (if the case is that masters could not be located, i think that they should have altered the speed of the album master - i dont think noticeable quality drop would have happened, so it must have been a deliberate creative decision) .

the alternate is a different piece that runs at the correct speed.

Ah okay. But this does run at the correct speed... well, at least that's something.

And what differences are we talking here? Judging from the samples, the main melody is played by different instruments, right? Other than that, does it differ significantly from the OS version of Prologue?

yep, by the prague philharmonic.

It was getting pretty confusing with the boots since most do not contain any info from what sources the music was taken. This resulted in duplicating tracks and attributing compilation re-recordings to be real recording sessions material.

yep, by the prague philharmonic.

Yes. The Prague Philharmonic releases sometimes have pretty good (unofficial?) versions on them! This is one. The instrumental version of "Double Trouble" is another.

The film version of "Presenting the Hook" (disc 2, track 12) runs a minute longer than the back cover says (5:09 instead of 4:03).

Well, the Epic version lasts only 3 minutes, so this is great!

But the LLL version... of how many cues is this track made up?

Four, by my count - 5m2 Arrival At Neverland, 5m3 Slicing The Hand, 5m4 (dunno the title for this, but it's the pirate fight), and 5m5 Show Us Your Hook.

The OST (and LLL equivalent) just has 5m2 and 5m5.

Direct from LLL.

So do we know the story with the track titles' similarity with old bootlegs?

That is a curious thing. Plus is there any mention of using the film stems for the Ultimate War anywhere in the package?

Can anybody address this? The alternate version is suppose to be faster,but it's 5 seconds longer than the regular version.

The Prologue music used in the teaser is exactly the same from the OS version but faster.

The alternate version is not the trailer music.

I have the 35mm of this teaser trailer but i don't know how to rip and how to have a good quality with the sound. It's maybe the last way to have the good version of the music trailer "prologue" (without digital work). And I just noticed the youtube video is cropped...

35mm.jpg

Direct from LLL.

Not to belabor the point, but.... are you gonna replace the CD case?

Maybe it's time for me to look around for an extra 2-CD case too! :huh:

Mine arrived direct from LLL wrapped in copious amount of bubble wrap and was in completely perfect condition, no cracks at all

I'm up to Remembering Childhood. This is certainly a top 10 JW score for me. Hearing all this stuff in astounding quality is so great. I am actually listening in JW's intended order here for the maiden voyage. I didn't skip to the best stuff!

There are various disappointments related to the order of the cues and album versions, the Never-Feast being the biggest kick in the nuts. Still, we're a lot better off than we were a week ago.

The Prologue music used in the teaser is exactly the same from the OS version but faster.

Thank you!

Mine arrived direct from LLL wrapped in copious amount of bubble wrap and was in completely perfect condition, no cracks at all

Awesome that's how mine was.

Really strange that the prologue is the slow speed still. I want to ask MV why.

Still waiting on my copy to come, hopefully Monday...I'm not that far from California.

I have the 35mm of this teaser trailer but i don't know how to rip and how to have a good quality with the sound. It's maybe the last way to have the good version of the music trailer "prologue" (without digital work). And I just noticed the youtube video is cropped...

35mm.jpg

I was looking all over this teaser trailer. Thanks!

There are various disappointments related to the order of the cues and album versions, the Never-Feast being the biggest kick in the nuts. Still, we're a lot better off than we were a week ago.

Well, we can assume they were working with the same sessions that The Concorde Boot is from. Since they had to use film stems for Ultimate War

That means the Never Feast Insert was probably specifically vetoed by Williams. I don't understand why no one in the production could tell him it was one of the most wanted bits of unreleased music. I mean even Williams should understand this was a specialty release for film score fans and not the general public

It was the same with the Indy Box. The only persons buying that box are the sames ones who are going to complain about the missing cues, so why leave them out.

Williams is a very intimidating man who snaps very easily if people try to educate him on something he needs to know about. He's sent shockwaves of fear and terror throughout the hearts and minds of niche film score labels and their employees.

It arrived today! I'm onto "Hook's Blues" as I type, and all-in-all I'm pretty darn happy with this. The packaging/art design is excellent (and I received it from LLL with no cracks in the case!), and the notes are rather good, although it's becoming more and more clear that the history of Hook would certainly be deserving of a book treatment, and a full documentary on a definitive home video release.

The sound quality is excellent--it's great to pick up little orchestrational details that weren't distinguishable in the boot, or even just getting a better aural picture of the character of certain sounds ("Wendy Tells Peter the Truth," for instance, with its off-kilter strings--audible in the boot, but the feeling of it is even clearer now).

A couple of questions/comments: I was a bit surprised by the transition to the unused Rufio music after having heard it the way it was on the boot for so long. Do we know if this is the way it was intended to go together or if it was simply an artistic decision? Also, it's rather unfortunate that, despite not having the film inserts in the first part of "The Ultimate War," it has the film looping at 5:29. Hmm.

I'll probably revisit this presentation at some point, but from my first listen, I feel that the assembly is hit-and-miss. Having gained more of an appreciation for the complementary pleasures of an album presentation vs. the complete score, I do like some of the things Williams did--"Remembering Childhood" does indeed work rather well without "Follow That Shadow," for instance. However, it feels like a lot of these reorderings, particularly cases like "Hook-Napped" and "You Are the Pan," feel like they are better suited to the more abridged assembly, and that they would better service the full-length (more or less) sequencing in their original chronological places.

Flaws and personal misgivings aside, this is a huge improvement over where we were with this score, and some surprising revelations to boot!

Tough to pick a top 5 previously unreleased cues, although I will certainly say it's a delight to have "Exit Music" in pristine condition--that one should never have been left out, IMHO. It's also very cool to hear some of the music for deleted scenes restored to their proper contexts, with "Slicing the Hand" being a great example. Getting used to the placement of "Believe Your Eyes," but it's certainly not offensive.

A couple of questions/comments: I was a bit surprised by the transition to the unused Rufio music after having heard it the way it was on the boot for so long. Do we know if this is the way it was intended to go together or if it was simply an artistic decision? Also, it's rather unfortunate that, despite not having the film inserts in the first part of "The Ultimate War," it has the film looping at 5:29. Hmm.

Now that is a good question. Isn't that even from a section of Ultimate War we had on the OST all along? Really weird.

Yeah, there shouldn't have been any need for that. I'm not convinced there isn't some film stem usage going on in part I; there are moments where the mix seems a bit different or something. I don't hear the volume dips, but something's up. Very strange.

As to the Rufio bit, I just did some checking with the film, and it looks like that's simply how Williams decided to present the cues together, not that they were supposed to go that way. It would seem that there were a few moments of Rufio's entrance (prior to the first shots of him on his vehicle) that were cut out. This may actually be the biggest reason why it was cut; there isn't really a good place to bring it in with the way they trimmed it. So, the full "From Mermaids to Lost Boys" would play out as it does in the OST, and then just about right after that the Rufio entrance music would begin--the bootleg presentation is closer to how it would've been used in film.