The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

I don’t think the season 5 finale needed to be 90 minutes long. And the number of 4 -5 minute commercial breaks took away from the episode’s suspense and pacing, imo. However I still thought it was a good episode to an otherwise excellent season. And as for the upcoming cash grab/spin off I’ll probably check it out out of curiosity if anything.

I watched it without the breaks and it was very well paced. If I had to endure so many adverts like you guys I wouldn't bother watching these sorts of shows at all.

So I finally caught up.

Glad to see the season finally picked up in its last couple of episodes. Naturally, any mention of "paradise" meant things were going to go shit, as much as I wanted it to be real. So that was predictable. And I don't necessarily believe things had to play out the way it did. But I like the new characters, the great reflective character moments, and I really like the promise Morgan brings.

Overall, true to Walking Dead's nature, it's been a wildly inconsistent season. But the highs of the opening episodes and closing episodes make up for it.

Well, for example, I forgot about Shane's season 1 human kill. That's bad because the lady and I have been binge watching the show since last month to catch her up, and we're still in S3.

Ooo and Shane's first human kill was possibly the show's first big shocker moment as well! (tame though by later standards)

It occurred in season 2. Otis.

He didn't kill Otis, he merely caused his death indirectly.

As in season 1, he indirectly caused the death of Ed Peletier, or at least TWD wiki credits him with it.

• 2 months later...

Fear The Walking Dead Season 1 airs from August 2015 -> September 2015

The Walking Dead Season 6 airs from October 2015 -> March 2016

Think I had a blonde moment tbh. The reason I'm thinking The Walking Dead comes around more often than say Game of Thrones is because there's always a season break isn't there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched. That review is right in that it was slow but still decent. I didn't read anything about the characters beforehand, so I was a bit confused as to whose kid was whose (in one hospital scene it seemed like Nick and the girl had a bit of a thing going on, but apparently they're siblings?). I need to watch it a second time to better understand the relationships, I think.

I do like that this show will chronicle the collapse of society, which TWD largely skipped over with Rick's convenient coma. I don't really foresee this spin-off show lasting as long as TWD, because the one thing that sets itself apart from it's parent show is the time in which it is set - the beginning of the outbreak. Once society has fallen and the walkers become too numerous (and the city too dangerous, like Atlanta), the show becomes virtually identical to TWD; they will be the same stories of survival in this new world. Do we really need two shows about the same thing made by the same people at that point?

Oh, and the music wasn't that great...

It's on our DVR. Our excitement level for it is about equal to the excitement level we've had for the second half of the most recent season: "Ehhhhhh, we'll watch it when we get to it."

I thought it was pretty good. Worth watching, Usually my spouse doesn't like things that move very slowly, but she was attentive so I guess she liked it too.

Outside of a few chainsaw-synth-sounding moments, not much jumped out at me musically. It seemed pretty lightly scored in general.

I don't think they ruled out the possibility of the two shows crossing over at some point, but they're in absolutely no rush, and it's probably the furthest thing on their minds. This new show is starting essentially when the first show did except there is no jump cut, and obviously more time that has past since then. And since they're on separate sides of the country it would probably be extremely hard without it seeming forced.