THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

Dreamworks issued a press release today indicating Thomas Newman will score Bridge of Spies. The press release simultaneously confirms that Williams will score Spielberg's The BFG.

BURBANK, Calif. (March 18, 2015) – DreamWorks Pictures’/Fox 2000 Pictures’ upcoming dramatic thriller directed by three-time Academy Award®-winning director Steven Spielberg (“Saving Private Ryan,” “Schindler’s List”) and starring two-time Academy Award winner Tom Hanks (“Forrest Gump,” “Philadelphia”), has been titled “Bridge of Spies.” In addition, 12-time Oscar® nominee Thomas Newman (“The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel,” “Saving Mr. Banks”) has been signed to score the film, as John Williams’ schedule was interrupted and he was unavailable to score the film due to a minor health issue, now corrected.

A dramatic thriller set against the backdrop of a series of historic events, “Bridge of Spies” tells the story of James Donovan (Hanks), a Brooklyn lawyer who finds himself thrust into the center of the Cold War when the CIA sends him on the near-impossible task to negotiate the release of a captured American U-2 pilot. Screenwriters Matt Charman and Ethan Coen & Joel Coen have woven this remarkable experience in Donovan’s life into a story inspired by true events that captures the essence of a man who risked everything and vividly brings his personal journey to life. The film will be released in theaters nationwide on October 16, 2015.

Williams, whose credits include “Stars Wars: The Force Awakens” and the “Harry Potter” films, will join Spielberg on his next film, “The BFG,” beginning later this year, continuing their unprecedented collaboration which they have enjoyed for over 40 years.

Newman has scored many films for DreamWorks, including "The Help,” “Road to Perdition" and "American Beauty,” the latter two for which he received Academy Award® nominations for Best Original Score.

“Bridge of Spies” also stars three-time Tony Award® winner Mark Rylance (“Twelfth Night,” “Jerusalem,” “Boeing Boeing”) as Rudolf Abel, a KGB agent defended by Donovan; Scott Shepherd (“Side Effects”) as CIA operative Hoffman; Academy Award® nominee Amy Ryan (“Birdman,” “Gone Baby Gone”) as James’ wife, Mary; Sebastian Koch (“A Good Day to Die Hard”) as East German lawyer Vogel; and Academy Award nominee Alan Alda (“M*A*S*H,” “The Aviator”) as Thomas Watters, a partner at Donovan’s law firm.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/thomas-newman-to-score-steven-spielbergs-bridge-of-spies-john-williams-will-tune-up-the-bfg-20150318

To be fair, there was never a press release indicating JW would score Bridge of Spies - only an addition to his resume at his agency. Maybe whoever added that to his PDF wasn't supposed to.

I guess that's a little bit comforting. The press release above does explicitly say Williams will join Spielberg for The BFG, which I am very much looking forward to.

To be fair, there was never a press release indicating JW would score Bridge of Spies - only an addition to his resume at his agency. Maybe whoever added that to his PDF wasn't supposed to.

Maybe you should alter the other thread's title, since technically Newman isnt replacing JW if he was never signed up for it.

I am shocked at the Bridge of Spies news regarding John Williams's withdrawal from the film any way the BFG sounds really promising for John Williams's career and I just can't believe the shocking news regarding Bridge of Spies and I want John Williams to score Bridge of Spies please!

I just can't understand why he was withdrawn from the film due to a minor health issue which was sorted last month and it just boggles me and it does not make sense I just don't understand the reason I don't think that is the truth in all honesty just shocking!

John Williams is still scoring the BFG which is fantastic and wonderful and outstanding news just wonderful!

I do not know if people on this forum will agree with me but I fear the worst now I really do fear the worst could we be losing the greatest film composer that has ever lived and there is no one equal to him no one possibly Alexandre Desplat but that is for another debate This is about the greatest film composer that has ever lived I will cry when he passes away which I am fearing will be very soon but lets be happy and positive but just angry and appalled about the Bridge of Spies news!

Well that was one breathless Paul Verhoeven-like post if there ever was one.

I imagine Spielberg will have a rough cut of Williams to look at for the BFG sometimes around the New Year and Williams will begin scoring it then. This film opens July 2016, then the next film Williams is confirmed for is Star Wars 8, opening May 2017. I wonder if Spielberg will make that Jennifer Lawrence movie quick enough that it will conflict with Star Wars 8.

Maybe Coolman will score that one too.

I know it was a sudden thing with The Bridge of Spies but we should not let that sour expecetation for the BFG and SW VII. These things happen in film making quite often, it just hasn't happened to JW and Spielberg before (with the exception of Color Purple of course and I don't think that was for the reasons of schedule).

What Coolman score is she more interested in: Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Bridge of Spies, SPECTRE, or Finding Dory?

I imagine Spielberg will have a rough cut of Williams to look at for the BFG sometimes around the New Year and Williams will begin scoring it then. This film opens July 2016, then the next film Williams is confirmed for is Star Wars 8, opening May 2017. I wonder if Spielberg will make that Jennifer Lawrence movie quick enough that it will conflict with Star Wars 8.

Maybe Coolman will score that one too.

Where was this confirmed?

Kathleen Kennedy originally said (in 2013, I think) Williams would score the entire trilogy, but last year (I think) a press release from Lucasfilm or Disney said Williams was scoring TFA, with no mention of the remaining films. I guess they want to get through TFA before moving onto Episode VIII. I hope Williams signs on to score!

What Coolman score is she more interested in: Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Bridge of Spies, SPECTRE, or Finding Dory?

Second best Exotic Marigold Hotel is a wonderful score...but more of the same from its predecessor.

The rest of the scores are quite promising. Looks like it might be Newman's year!

JohnnyD, I absolutely love the enthusiasm you bring around here. Never stop!

Second best Exotic Marigold Hotel is a wonderful score...but more of the same from its predecessor.

The rest of the scores are quite promising. Looks like it might be Newman's year!

Well, Finding Dory is next year, but yea - Bridges of Spies and then SPECTRE coming out within 3 weeks of each other will be huge for him. Second Best Exotic Marigold already came and went with no fanfare.

Well, Finding Dory is next year, but yea - Bridges of Spies and then SPECTRE coming out within 3 weeks of each other will be huge for him. Second Best Exotic Marigold already came and went with no fanfare.

The Exotic Marigold scores are sadly underrated works that haven't gotten much attention. But they're pretty neat.

The difference here is that Spielberg now has Williams set in stone for a specific scoring time, I didn't get that feeling with Bridge of Spies. So now he's on the calendar. I also expect to see him scheduled for SW8 as soon as possible to lock him in.

I blame Spielberg for not getting his shit together when it comes to planning films.

It is wonderful that the Maestro is doing well. Even though John Williams is not doing the music for Steven Spielberg's Bridge of Spies, I still want to see the film. As far as the Maestro is concerned, I am still looking forward to hearing his music to Star Wars, Episode VII: The Force Awakens (and I cannot wait to see the film itself); plus, I look forward to seeing Steven Spielberg's The B.F.G. (Big Friendly Giant), as well as hearing the Maestro's score for that film next year.

Thank you very much.

I never heard of this big friendly giant before.

I'm 41 and have no children, so I guess it's normal !

The only giant I remember is The Friendly Giant that played on TV when I was a child. :)

So, at what point it is popular or a good story?

It's popular in England, I suppose, where its author Roald Dahl, known for his Willy Wonka character, is from.

But Suina, you magnificent bastard, you may ask, England is also home to CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien, and I've definitely heard of the Narnia and Middle-earth stories, and of course Charlie Bucket, but this BFG has remained an enigma until now.

I have no explanation. I grew up knowing the BFG as a big frickin gun full of Doom.

Growing up I remember reading the "big 5" Roald Dahl books (Chocolate Factory, Glass Elevator, Giant Peach, The BFG, The Witches) more than once for sure

I don't think I ever read Mr Fox or Matilda

Anyway, it will be a children movie, so we can hope a rich and magical score in the genre of the Harry Potter trilogy.

This type of score is always welcome in JW discography and I already predict a big success!

I'm confident that The B.F.G. (Big Friendly Giant) will be just as magical as E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is.

Ha! Good one, JohnnyD!

I was not joking. I was being completely honest, given that screenwriter Melissa Mathison, who worked with Steven Spielberg on E.T., is reuniting with the director for The B.F.G.

It's great to be HOPEFUL that it will be good, but illogical to be confident that it WILL be. The Spielberg who made ET is not the same Spielberg making movies today

No, but I would say the majority of his films within the last 15 years have been "serious" films. Tintin and Indy 4 are the most light hearted of the bunch.