Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎13 at 5:26 PM, E.T. and Elliot said:

Very cool album. I bought it for the Winter Games Fanfare and was pleasantly surprised by the whole thing.

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎14 at 3:49 AM, Incanus said:

Yeah it has some very nice brass ensemble arrangements of JWs fan favourites.

I bought it for the JFK arrangement. Of course, it also contains the unique recording of the Winter Games Fanfare.

But I don't like the other arrangements, especially those for Star Wars. I don't understand why they all begin with a little prologue (often the Yoda's Theme).

???

On the overall, that's quite an uneven album.  The play is very good, but some arrangements are too basic for my taste.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « denver brass john williams »

40 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I bought it for the JFK arrangement. Of course, it also contains the unique recording of the Winter Games Fanfare.

But I don't like the other arrangements, especially those for Star Wars. I don't understand why they all begin with a little prologue (often the Yoda's Theme).

???

On the overall, that's quite an uneven album.  The play is very good, but some arrangements are too basic for my taste.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « denver brass john williams »

The arranger just had fun with the Star Wars Suite by giving Yoda's theme numerous variations as the introduction to each movement.I have to give him points for trying something different.

Please check this for me. Anyone who bought Force Awakens soundtrack Disk and not a digital copy can you burn it on the computer in iTunes and tell me if clicking get album artwork works? Can't get it to work for me 

Got the target edition copy. Thanks, ASAP.

My bad, didn't mean to post this twice. Oh well.

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

The arranger just had fun with the Star Wars Suite by giving Yoda's theme numerous variations as the introduction to each movement.I have to give him points for trying something different.

The Throne Room arrangement has been made with some wrong notes. Is it an arrangement done by ear or what? Com'on... That's the album with the worst arrangements I've listened since a long time.

Just received from Amazon, another essential:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « minority report john williams »

I just saw in my Amazon saved cart that The Hateful Eight and The Good Dinosaur both dropped to $8.39. Maybe some kind of sale on recent soundtracks? At any rate, both will be mine soon.

Looks like The Force Awakens is at that price as well.

2 hours ago, Hlao-roo said:

Anyone receive Tadlow's new recording of The Blue Max yet? I'm looking forward to that one.

I got mine yesterday. The re-recording is a treat for those who have wanted to hear the score with modern improved sonics and I find very little to quibble about the performance. The second disc with re-recorded suites from various Goldsmith scores is a bit of a hit and miss in terms of performance as I felt some of the versions recorded didn't quite capture the energy of the originals. The main attraction is the disc 1 but I have to admit the disc 2 forms a wonderful 1 hour+ Goldsmith concert.

8 hours ago, Hlao-roo said:

Anyone receive Tadlow's new recording of The Blue Max yet? I'm looking forward to that one.

Several people have been discussing it in the Last Score You Listened To thread

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Several people have been discussing it in the Last Score You Listened To thread

Thanks.

11 hours ago, Incanus said:

I got mine yesterday. The re-recording is a treat for those who have wanted to hear the score with modern improved sonics and I find very little to quibble about the performance. The second disc with re-recorded suites from various Goldsmith scores is a bit of a hit and miss in terms of performance as I felt some of the versions recorded didn't quite capture the energy of the originals. The main attraction is the disc 1 but I have to admit the disc 2 forms a wonderful 1 hour+ Goldsmith concert.

How is The Mummy suite?

20 hours ago, Hlao-roo said:

Got their Epic Holllywood/i] live recording of Rozsa music on Monday and Blue Max today. Listening to that now. It's spectacular.

12 hours ago, Hlao-roo said:

Thanks.

How is The Mummy suite?

Although especially arranged for concert setting, the suite feels to me a bit choppy as these thing sometimes do when done for concerts and taking the film cues as they are and putting them into a suite form, giving some extended cues but then there is a snippet of this and snippet of that in between and there are some sudden transitions where feel the arranger could have more smoothly passed from one piece to the next. Or perhaps it just takes a bit of time to get used to this sequencing for me as a listener. The short cue "Desert Burial" not found on the OST was a nice little inclusion. I also found that the choir is not as well balanced with the orchestra as on the OST. So while it is nice they made the effort it is not as stellar as it could be. Perhaps I am nitpicky as it is one of my favourite late JG scores and the original performance is pretty awesome. Jerry could mine gold even from projects he hated.

The choir drowns the horns - it's deliberately mixed that way - and that doesn't suit JG's thematic writing at points. The suite also runs too long (it was made by a fan of the score). But there are some nice moments where you hear details Goldsmith buried, as in 'Camel Race'.

19 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Got their Epic Holllywood/i] live recording of Rozsa music on Monday and Blue Max today. Listening to that now. It's spectacular.

Playing it a second time now. There are a few spots where it feels odd (perhaps just because I'm too used to the original recording), but overall this might be a better performance than the original. It's intense.

Another step into the dark side, I just made my second purchase on MovieMusic Store:

p_isc331.jpg

Jaws 2 [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1978) (2015, Intrada, Special Collection Volume ISC 331)

p_lllcd1374.jpg

Home Alone 25th Anniversary: Limited Edition (2015, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1374)

p_qr211.jpg

Tom Sawyer [Expanded Original MGM Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1973) (2015, Quartet Records, QR-211)

I'm a little bit deceived by this one.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « sci-fo greatests hits final frontier »

The version of Lost in Space Theme seems to be an original, but it is slightly damaged at the beginning (a tape drop-out).

Please send me a message for more info.

I purchased the 30th Anniversary edition few weeks ago and now I just receveid the original album.

I bought it for the album version of track 1.  In the album version, Topol re-recorded some of his lines.

For the 30th Anniversary CD, they took the film version.

The way he shouts "Tradition!" at the beginning is better in the film version!
41XH93K3RYL.jpg

It's a great Shore score, obviously meant to continue the LotR styled epic scoring for the video game (the trailers for it back in the day were rather heavy on LotR film influence, shot for shot almost) but luckily the composer steers away from aping his masterpiece and crafts a nuanced and varied musical tonepoem, which while not on LotR level of grand leitmotifs offers a lot to explore.

14 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So they have shipped out the missing second Tom Sawyer discs by now? Does anyone know when they started doing that? I'm still waiting for mine.

Tell me if you don't receive yours, I will send you mine! The 2nd CD is in the package, so I have two ;-)

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Tell me if you don't receive yours, I will send you mine! The 2nd CD is in the package, so I have two ;-)

How odd.

I guess I'll just ask the store I ordered from whether they've already received the missing discs.

Continuing my "remedial classes" on Amazon.

p_471326.jpg

Treesong, Violin Concerto / Shaham, Williams, Boston SO (2001, Deutsche Grammophon, 471326)

p_83115.jpg

Music for Cello and Piano by Sergei Prokofiev & David Ward-Steinman (2006, Marquis, 83115)

Featuring John Williams (p).

Lost in Space (Broughton)

The Rescuers Down Under (Broughton)

Twilight Zone TV

Cocoon II: The Return (Horner)

Finally something worth picking up.

Karol