Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

He's afraid of letting his inner instincts rule. It's like having the unruly uncle at the family party who makes the behaved people uncomfortable by saying offensive (but potentially funny) things about races or sex.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I agree he should make up for Indy 4 too but not with Indy 5. Like I said before, I want to see a small Spielberg film. Maybe a story about a man's survival (played by Harrison Ford) in the desert and an exclusive woodwinds score by J. Williams. I think it would do surprisingly well too.

desert-leader_zps827cf327.jpg

Alex

I bet they have Harrison Ford in the first one as older Indy to "pass the torch". Maybe a crazy time travel thing related to the relic. Or it will be done in like a Godfather Part II style with the older Indy and younger Indy storylines playing out simultaneously. Actually, it will be more like that episode of Deep Space Nine "Necessary Evil" where Odo's investigation leads him to recall events of years past. Maybe he will recount the story like in that Young Indiana Jones Chronicles episode.

old+indy.jpg

As crappy as that episode was, it was still better than KOTCS.

All that nonsense about toiling over a macguffin for decades was a load of shit and just more Lucas fickle idiocy. Disney will knock out a decent one in months, just watch.

Fuck George Lucas.

As far as I know Spielberg continues to slag off ToD, it's disgraceful behavior.

I think Spielberg has always seemed a little bit indifferent to the Indy sequels, in general. I think Raiders was a real joy for him and he has said it's one of the only movies of his that he can watch totally removed from the experience of making it, but he only ever speaks about Temple with scorn except for meeting Capshaw. Last Crusade is a movie that I think he likes but it was still only done in the first place as a favor to Lucas and he was forced to quit Rain Man because of it (he mentioned in a DGA Q&A with Cameron/Abrams a few years ago that it's still the only movie he regrets not making), and Crystal Skull seems like it was just an excuse for him to work with Lucas and Ford again. He typically passes the franchise off as George's thing and talks about himself as the "hired hand" just waiting around for the call, which is why it's surprising to me that he's considering doing this one alone. Maybe he really did feel burned by Crystal Skull's response...

I think the only reason Spielberg acts like he doesn't like TOD in modern interviews is because of all the criticism of racism and such. You know he secretly loves it. He just can't admit it. He's a serious artist now, the director of Munich, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan etc. Not THIS:

You know he secretly loves it.

I don't know that. In fact, and maybe that's hard to understand for a fan, but most artists don't love their work that much. They usually see just the mistakes.

I just want to reiterate that there has been no confirmation of the Pratt thing, or the above Spielberg story.

Not to say it won't happen, but at the moment it's just rumor. Both of these stories originated with one article posting "My sources indicate..." and snowballing from there. No direct quotes or statements.

I just want to reiterate that there has been no confirmation of the Pratt thing, or the above Spielberg story.

Not to say it won't happen, but at the moment it's just rumor. Both of these stories originated with one article posting "My sources indicate..." and snowballing from there. No direct quotes or statements.

It's entirely possible that Pratt won't play Indy... however, these trades have sources that know their stuff. It's not like a fanboy site like Latino-Review where 50% of their scoops turn out true.

• 1 month later...

Spielberg: Indy V! I can almost reach it!

0236686_47394_MC_Tx360.jpg

Indy fans of the classic trilogy: Let it go Spielberg, let it go.

letitgo.jpg

Robert Pattison?

Really?

0_O

Could work as a german bad guy though.

He could play a tree stump. He has just that amount of expressive charisma.

Oh good, new Star Wars cycle, Indy 5, Jurassic Park 4, the superhero movies never seem to end - am I stuck in a time warp?

If it means we'll get a new John Williams score where we haven't gotten one before, I'll gladly stay in the time warp.

Oh good, new Star Wars cycle, Indy 5, Jurassic Park 4, the superhero movies never seem to end - am I stuck in a time warp?

That's right, your childhood never ends, so heat up some Ellio's Pizza, grab a pack of shark bites and a cherry squeezit, and you're good to go.

Robert Pattison?

Really?

0_O

No, not shovel face!

Robert Pattison?

Really?

0_O

He could play a tree stump. He has just that amount of expressive charisma.

I'd agree. But that he starred in Cronenberg's last two films intrigue me. I haven't seen them yet, but he must have had some potential.

But isn't that how you feel when you watch your LotR and Hobbit movies on a continual basis?

• 2 weeks later...
"[An Indiana Jones film] will one day be made inside this company," said Kennedy. "When it will happen, I’m not quite sure. We haven’t started working on a script yet, but we are talking about it."

So its not a priority for them then.