The Official Howard Shore Thread

Jilal

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I think you're trying to pull off some kind of joke, but I don't get it, sorry.

I'm not.  I'm going off  Jameson's "that one's good, but it's taken!" comment in response to the the name while trying to figure out a nickname for Doc Ock.  I assumed he was saving it for  himself.

4 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

I'm not.  I'm going off  Jameson's "that one's good, but it's taken!" comment in response to the the name while trying to figure out a nickname for Doc Ock.  I assumed he was saving it for  himself.

Leave the jokes to me!

• 1 month later...

Uhhhhhhhh, Howard Shore is no longer listed as the composer on Pete's Dragon on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2788732/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Did I miss something? I can't find an official news story anywhere for this. It appears he's been replaced by Daniel Hart (who I've never heard of).

Capture.PNG

It might explain why he was so evasive when asked about Pete's Dragon in this interview (http://collider.com/howard-shore-spotlight-interview-tom-mccarthy/)

Capture.PNG

Oh I'm not making any judgments on Daniel Hart's abilities, I've just honestly not heard of him before today.  He might do a great job, I was just really looking forward to hearing a good Howard Shore children's fantasy score. Ah well.

I guess this explains why the trailer from the other month didn't mention Shore

Oh well.

On 2/22/2016 at 7:01 AM, tannhauser said:

Speaking of Civil War, Shore was attached to score "The Free State of Jones" but seems to have been replaced by Nicholas Brittel. http://filmmusicreporter.com/2015/12/18/nicholas-britell-to-score-gary-ross-the-free-state-of-jones/

This one ^.

Oh I know I'm probably reading way too much into Shore being replaced on two 2016 projects within a couple of months.

It's obvious! He must be clearing his workload for the impending Blu-ray box set of Middle-earth films, featuring new cuts of all six films rescored (where needed) by Howard himself! Long have we dreamed of this day.

From what I've heard he is not anymore. Hope my sources were wrong, though, but it seems like he has been replaced on or dropped out of three 2016 movies.

9 hours ago, Barnald said:

Mmm. Should we be concerned?

Not at all. Shore is in the privileged position to pick-and-choose whatever project he's interested in. He doesn't need to chase big hits and doesn't seem particularly interested in commercial studio fare. He only works for people and projects he feels attuned to. Also, it happens frequently a composer bails out of a project because of scheduling conflicts and not necessarily for creative reasons.

It's just concerning he seems to be offloading his entire schedule.  Like...I hope he's not having any health issues or something.  For now, I think you're right and we're reading too much into it.

If Scorsese ends up using a different composer for an original score(as opposed to licensing music) on Silence I'll be officially concerned.  The last time Scorsese had an original score from someone other than Shore was back in the 90s I'm pretty sure.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The last time Scorsese had an original score from someone other than Shore was back in the 90s I'm pretty sure.

Correct. Elmer Bernstein scored Bringing Out The Dead in 1999 and its been Shore (Gangs of New York, Aviator, Departed, Hugo) or no original score (Shutter Island, Wolf of Wall Street) since.

Sidebar: "The Age of Innocence" score that Bernstein composed for Scorsese is one of my absolute favorite Bernsteins.  Up there with Ten Commandments and To Kill a Mockingbird for me personally.  Sidebar over.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

That same list mentions John Debney and even Basil Poledouris.

I strongly suspect it may not be entirely accurate.

Didn't Zimmer produce some Poledouris albums in the 80s?  I know he did some work for Sakamoto on The Last Emperor.  I think Debney's hired RCP orchestrators from time to time.

To get back on track, I've got a number of questions regarding Gangs of New York/"Brooklyn Heights."

1.  Does the concert work predate the film, or was it composed specifically for it?

2.  Are the excerpts on the soundtrack album collectively the entire piece, or is there more to it?

3.  If it's a longer work, has it been/will it be performed in full?

4.  What are the lyrics to Pt. 3?  Is a perusal score available anywhere?

People may be interested to know that the forthcoming German Blu-ray of The Brood (by Wicked-Vision) contains a new interview with Howard. Here's a preview:

I'm a bit worried by the complete lack of films on Shore's agenda.  Now that he's been replaced on Pete's Dragon there's nothing at all that he's attached to, as far as I know.  I wonder what he's up to?

So Shore didn't want to exist (career-wise) in a world where his long-time collaborator was no longer making films. Kind of beautiful really. Maybe they made a pact all those years ago when they started out.

Or maybe he has enough money from LoTR and likes making music at home, or a thousand other leisure things a human might enjoy with so much time and wealth.