disappointing to see that Tony Kushner is sole credited screenwriter...

How so?

I'm just not a fan of the man in general. I didn't like Angels in America, and Munich was glacially paced. The thing is, he can write excellent dialogue but he needs to tighten the pace on his stories in general. But he's working with excellent source material from Goodwin's book, so I have to give him credit for that.

I found this while searching for a trailer. It's probably fan art but it's still really cool!

lincoln.jpg

This poster is much better than the one released now.

Dude, look at the sheer number of studios and production companies behind this flick. What in the fuck?

Remember Spielberg had trouble finding a studio to back the picture? Guess the solution was to get lots of them to thrown in a small piece.

Dude, look at the sheer number of studios and production companies behind this flick. What in the fuck?

Never seen a British film before? Sometimes it takes 2 minutes just to get through the company logos.

this poster is almost a work of art in itself. stunningly beautiful.

it reminds of the memorial.

I love his unrestrained Americana like with The Patriot but that absolutely won't happen here. It's an intimate portrait of Lincoln's life and will probably have more than it's fair share of courtroom or "sitting around and discussing the issue" scenes. I just keep remembering the sparse material beneath the Amistad courtroom scenes.

There's not much room for surprise on the score, restrained Americana is among Williams' weaker styles. War Horse really surprised me at least and it was said to be "gentle".

what the hell are you talking about his Americana is one of his best styles, perhaps you don't like it but the man is an absolute genius in this style.

The Reivers, the River, The Cowboys, parts of Superman, the Patriot, Born on the Fourth of July, the 84 Los Angeles Olympic theme,

Those might not all be fan favorites, but they are all powerful efforts on John's parts.

There's not much room for surprise on the score, restrained Americana is among Williams' weaker styles. War Horse really surprised me at least and it was said to be "gentle".

what the hell are you talking about his Americana is one of his best styles, perhaps you don't like it but the man is an absolute genius in this style.

The Reivers, the River, The Cowboys, parts of Superman, the Patriot, Born on the Fourth of July, the 84 Los Angeles Olympic theme,

Those might not all be fan favorites, but they are all powerful efforts on John's parts.

H

He did say RESTRAINED Americana, I wouldnt call those ones you mentioned restrained...

I dislike "restrained" Americana. I absolutely love The Cowboys, The Patriot and Born on the Fourth of July. I hate it when JW is forced to make his music part of the wallpaper instead a key storytelling tool like the courtroom scenes in Amistad.

adding a qualifier doesn't exonerate him. Americana and Williams are synonymous.

War Horse is definately not Americana.

War Horse wasn't ALL Americana but there was some sprinkled in (The horn soli at the end of Remembering Emilie and Finale) and I'm trying to keep my expectations low so I can be surprised by the Lincoln score.

Never seen a British film before? Sometimes it takes 2 minutes just to get through the company logos.

Oh yeah, Jesus, I just watched We Need to Talk About Kevin the other night. "An Oscilloscope and Code Red release. BBC Films and UK Film Council present -- in association with Footprint Investments LLP, Piccadilly Pictures, and Lipsync Productions -- an Independent production in association with Artina Films and Rockinghorse Films" :shakehead:

But yeah, Dreamworks has had a lot of financial problems, and most (all?) of its recent live-action productions are partnerships with various production companies and distributors.

I love movies about American presidents, I have a lot of them. Depends on director etc, but most 'big ones' tend to be good, regardless of one likes a certain president or not. The recent The Kennedy's was good, Path to War was exceptionally good, and now watching Sally Hemings: An American Scandal. Great stuff and must see for anyone interested in world history. So, really looking forward to Lincoln, naturally.

Wohoo. As the main pages says the CD details are exclusive out on JWFan! :)

Tracklist:

01. The People’s House (3:41)

02. The Purpose Of The Amendment (3:06)

03. Getting Out The Vote (2:48)

04. The American Process (3:56)

05. The Blue And Grey (2:59)

06. “With Malice Toward None” (1:50)

07. Call To Muster And Battle Cry Of Freedom (2:17)

08. The Southern Delegation And The Dream (4:43)

09. Father And Son (1:42)

10. The Race To The House (2:41)

11. Equality Under The Law (3:11)

12. Freedom’s Call (6:06)

13. Elegy (2:34)

14. Remembering Willie (1:51)

15. Appomattox, April 9, 1865 (2:36)

16. The Peterson House And Finale (11:00)

17. “With Malice Toward None” (Piano Solo) (1:31)

TOTAL TIME: 58:32

Can't wait to hear all the featured soloists!

Performer: Chicago Symphony Orchestra / Chicago Symphony Chorus / Robert Chen

Trumpet: Christopher Martin

Clarinet: Stephen Williamson

Bassoon: David McGill

Horn: Daniel Gingrich

Piano: Randy Kerber

looking at the track list I do see that the film ends with Lincoln's death, part of me was hoping it might end otherwise.

Where were you hoping it would end Joey? Before the assassination? The film was only covering the last few months of Lincoln's life, so portraying his death was inevitable.

So did Lincoln survive the assassination? Or was he zombified? Or was he a vampire? Wait...I thought Lincoln was a vampire hunter! Yikes, this is confusing...

Where were you hoping it would end Joey? Before the assassination? The film was only covering the last few months of Lincoln's life, so portraying his death was inevitable.

at the surrender a few days before!

We do not know how the film will play his assassination, will it be entirely dramatized or depicted in some other way. But considering that there is mention of the Petersen House, his last moments will be in the film. And as a European not so versed in the live of American presidents, I didn't know Lincoln was still alive after the assassination, even though extremely badly wounded. This will be an educational film for me. :P

Booth let the vampires finish him off.

yes in the book version that is true.

I am very much looking forward to this score, I amexpecting both a very powerful and moving score and movie. I also have high hopes for an Oscar on this score, one because it's a movie about one of our greatest Presidents (and IMO the Oscars is becoming very political and biased) and because it should be an outstanding Williams/Spielberg collaboration.

This is definitely absolute prime oscar bait for everyone involved. Day-Lewis is probably guaranteed 'best actor' by now.

If it weren't for The Hobbit, I'd say this was JW's best chance in years. Maybe they'll honour the trilogy instead though.

This is definitely absolute prime oscar bait for everyone involved. Day-Lewis is probably guaranteed 'best actor' by now.

I dunno, nobody has ever won an acting Oscar in a Spielberg film so it would be a first.

Hopefully Hobbit is too derivitive of LOTR and exempt, or something.

The Hobbit will crush Lincoln in every aspect.

A Hobbit score by Howard Shore against some Williams Americana solos? It's a no contest really.

Oh yeah, Jesus, I just watched We Need to Talk About Kevin the other night. "An Oscilloscope and Code Red release. BBC Films and UK Film Council present -- in association with Footprint Investments LLP, Piccadilly Pictures, and Lipsync Productions -- an Independent production in association with Artina Films and Rockinghorse Films" :shakehead:

But yeah, Dreamworks has had a lot of financial problems, and most (all?) of its recent live-action productions are partnerships with various production companies and distributors.

Yeah for "Lincoln" Dreamworks was short on cash so Fox made it happen, though they still have the North American distribution deal with Disney, so for the North American release you'll likely see Touchstone-Dreamworks-Fox (hope they keep the fanfare.. hmm or maybe have Williams conduct a new version.. current one dates back to the one Newman's son did in 1997 for "Anastasia")

I doubt Lincoln will have the heart and soul of The Hobbit score.

I've no doubt Lincoln will be the superior.

The hobbit will just be a retread of what we heard in the Lotr films, which I've forgotten now.