Marvel's Agent Carter

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

25 Times The Cast Of “Agent Carter” Season 2 Were Awesome

Those guys sure have fun making their show

Very fun, but Hayley Atwell needs to be told that when she's filming she needs to do so in landscape, not portrait....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Agent Carter 2x01 The Lady In The Lake

So great to have the show back!  I have grown to love both Haley Atwell and the Agent Carter character.  The complete change of location from NY to Hollywood is a good one.  I don't know if it was done for financial reasons or what, but it worked fine for me.  I am glad that Jarvis, Sousa, and even Thompson are back and don't mind that Dooley is gone.

The case this week was a good one and actually reminded me a lot of the beats of a standard X-Files episode.  Freaky murder happens, agents investigate, one of the characters they meet early on ends up being the bad guy.  Interesting that with the season 1 arc / concept of each being being the agents chasing down another leaked weapon made by Tony Stark being done with, in this season there seems to be a bigger storyline going on that we don't know what it is yet.  I was genuinely surprised at the end that the scientist guy went to visit that glowing CGI blob in the basement.  Is that supposed to be the stuff from Thor 2?  Or something to do with Dr. Strange?

Loved that we finally got to meet Jarvis' wife; I can't say she was what I pictured (in fact I figured they'd do that thing where the character is never seen), but I liked her and hope she appears again.  Loved her giving the gun to Peggy.

I appreciated the small sexual tension between Peggy and 3 different characters; Jarvis (which is never going to happen but you can't deny their chemistry), Sousa, and the scientist guy.

Oh, and I loved Hayley's American accent during the scene at the race track.

On to the next one!

On 1/25/2016 at 7:18 PM, Jay said:

Agent Carter 2x01 The Lady In The Lake

So great to have the show back!  I have grown to love both Haley Atwell and the Agent Carter character.  The complete change of location from NY to Hollywood is a good one.  I don't know if it was done for financial reasons or what, but it worked fine for me.  I am glad that Jarvis, Sousa, and even Thompson are back and don't mind that Dooley is gone.

The case this week was a good one and actually reminded me a lot of the beats of a standard X-Files episode.  Freaky murder happens, agents investigate, one of the characters they meet early on ends up being the bad guy.  Interesting that with the season 1 arc / concept of each being being the agents chasing down another leaked weapon made by Tony Stark being done with, in this season there seems to be a bigger storyline going on that we don't know what it is yet.  I was genuinely surprised at the end that the scientist guy went to visit that glowing CGI blob in the basement.  Is that supposed to be the stuff from Thor 2?  Or something to do with Dr. Strange?

Yes, that has to do with Doctor Strange, but they may also be using it to tie in with the current events of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. though its probably just a coincidence the items look the same and can teleport things.

Agent Carter 2x02 A View in the Dark

So the big bad this season is some weird group of people pulling the strings behind the scenes; This is more like The X-Files all the time!  I didn't like how quickly the scientist guy went from not really wanting to betray his company to literally showing Peggy everything there was to know.  Zero Matter seems like pretty freaky stuff, kinda reminded me of Fringe somehow.  I kind of enjoyed Peggy and the scientist's date, but it was surpringly long and slow for a show like this, actually the whole episode was on the slower side until the end.  I wish he hadn't been so dumb when Frost showed up, why wouldn't he have figured out she was bad by just the fact that she was there?  I am guessing they both survived; She'll get powers and he'll turn up somehow.  I can't imagine they'd kill of another Peggy love interest!  The subplot of Sousa dating the nurse didn't to a whole lot for me.  The scenes with Peggy and Jarvis during his morning training were much more interesting!

Agent Carter 2x03 Better Angels

Always enjoy when Dominic Cooper shows up at Stark on the show!  Quite enjoyed his Howard Hughes-esque turn here; I loved how they used him in different ways here (first as a movie director, then as a way to get Peggy into the club, then as the brilliant inventor guy) and it all fits!  Also, his interaction with Jarvis is always very good.  The fact that stuff was floating around Peggy's desk was interesting until it was the ghost of the scientist guy, that was a bit odd and turns zero matter more into magic than science (especially with that whole vocal cords bit, that was so odd).  Was fun to hear Atwell's american accent again in the club, as the joke about making a movie out of a comic was pretty funny (as was Jarvis' line about not wanting to be a disembodied voice).  I think that Kurtwood Smith guy is gonna end up being Hydra, right?  Or the secret council is all Hydra or something.  Frost killing the dude at the end with her zero matter powers was so weird.  Why did she and the scientist guy react different to the matter being set loose anyway?\

Did anyone notice the mention of "Abner Brody in Peru"?

That particular combination of names rings a bell, that does!

Especially given the time setting, I strongly suspect the link to be intentional. :lol:

Yes, a nod to Indiana Jones (Abner Ravenwood and Marcus Brody).  Kind of a randomly odd reference to make, except for the fact that Disney now owns Indy.

Not such a strange nod, is it?

Captain America and Agent Carter fit right in with Indiana Jones when it comes to time setting, sense of adventure and general style.

That is one of the reasons I like that Marvel film and series so much.

More than the rest for sure. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Agent Carter 2x04 Smoke & Mirrors

Loved the flashbacks showing Young Peggy!  Very cool.  The Young Whitney flashbacks were more meh and same ole same ole.  This week we get a great Jarvis american accent!  Just as funny as Peggy's.  Kurtwood Smith is really being pegged as another villain now so I wonder if they are going to do a twist where he's just following orders of a villain and will turn out to be good.  Interesting reveal that Peggy was almost married before the events of Captain America.  Seems she didn't really love him though.

Hopefully Atwell can do both shows and this isn't a sign that Carter's been quietly canceled.  Since the new show is also on ABC, there's hope for that.                      

Agent Carter 2x05 The Atomic Job

Another week, another undercover assignment for Peggy leads to a new fun American accent by Hayley Atwell.  I like how different she makes each one.  I loved the team aspect of this episode, with Peggy, Sousa, Jarvis, Rose, and that scientist guy all going on a mission together.  Fun stuff, reminded me of Alias and how this show is like a cross between Alias, X-Files, Fringe, and The First Avenger.  I'm getting tired of the intangible doctor storyline, I hope that wraps up soon with him either getting his body back or getting killed off.  That scene with Ken Marino punching the dude was really over the top violent for a 8oclock network TV show; Was their some weird Marvel mandate to be more like their Netflix shows or something?  I quite enjoyed the scene of Peggy continually zapping Leland Palmer :)

Marvel is most certainly not struggling on TV; Daredevil and Jessica Jones are huge hits, and Agents Of SHIELD is in its third season and will get renewed for a fourth no question.  Agent Carter is the only one with low ratings, which stinks because its so much fun!

For whatever reason, female-led properties still don't make a lot of money or have high ratings, which is why we'll never get a Black Widow movie I guess

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Well it's not like either gets GREAT ratings, they are not huge hits by any means

I liked Agents of SHIELD most when it first started; when it was a team working together,

rather than the "political shenanigans" and "chronic backstabbing disorder" that apparently seems to be required in many TV shows that I've seen lately.

And I want to see the "Back to the Future" flying car back; that was just too brilliantly hilarious!

There is a lot less needless personal business in Agent Carter and the characters are so much more fun.

The humorous tone also does it tremendous favours. And the time setting is really very cool too.

I've never been hugely into superhero stuff, but do find the Marvel films fairly entertaining.

And Agent Carter is probably one of the best things to come from that direction.