John Barry's King Kong (FSM#249 - 2CD Deluxe Edition)

Jay

Then why do they claim them to be unlimited then? If the contract stipulates that only 5,000 units may be pressed, they say it is limited to that number. When it's gone, it's gone. But here comes one woman unlimited number of units, which is cute, but it has a time limit. One year or so. It might be purely based on the calendar, or its duration is a function of the number sold by a specific time before they pull the plug. Calling this second scenario unlimited also is misleading.

At any rate, I bought this well before Christmas because the OST is so awesome.

Pardon?

If they only have 5000 for sale, they tell us that number, and they're gone when stock runs dry.

But if they can sell an indeterminate number of units within a finite time span, in this case not even ten months, why would they call it Deluxe instead of Limited, and not declare it would only be sold for ten months?

Or did the license begin with the first single disc release, and it took until the final ten months of the license's life to assemble the Deluxe? When a seemingly unlimited title goes OOP so soon, it's jarring.

Well I'm still glad I snagged a copy from Movie Music along with "Under Fire". Being a California resident, sites like SAE and Intrada and LLL charge a sales tax on the orders so I now always try to buy from Movie Music if possible. Plus he has the best shipping prices regardless.

Well I got my copy of King Kong the other day from MovieMusic. This score is so wonderful, in the most beautiful and somber of ways. For a score from '76, the sound quality is AMAZING. It makes me wonder why scores from around the same time period, like Jaws, do not sound just as good as this. Does it all depend on how the music is stored or recorded? It's just so odd because the restoration here is so amazing, as are other recent efforts like Star Trek: The Motion Picture... why do a lot of older Williams scores sound so... horrible in sound quality in comparison?

Master tapes being available can make a big difference. They were avalaible for Star Trek, which sounds fantastic in my opinion.

It's just so odd then that they can't ever seem to find or obtain master tapes for so many of Williams scores. Hook apparently was missing some. Jaws seems to have been recorded with inferior technology at the time compared to something like Kong. The Indiana Jones score releases, like from Concord, seem to be from more than one source. It's just odd to me.

• 1 year later...

Only 50 copies of this are left at SAE, and its on sale for 30% off until Tuesday!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=109980&forumID=1&archive=0

OMG!

I should buy this!

You mean it's $24.95 with the discount?

because that's the price I see..

edit: Oh, i see you use a discount code.

SOLD OUT!!

Hi and yes Barry's KING KONG is sold out but we will look into repressing the BIG monkey soon!!!

Craig

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=109980&archive=0

Who is he?

I thought it was already re-pressed.

So, there will be a 3rd repressing?