Brian Tyler & Danny Elfman - The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Jay

First comment I've seen about the score:

The problem with comments such as these is that you don't know if the guy (DrewAtHitFix) is a film score fan or just some average moviegoer who thinks any film score with lots of drums is the best thing ever.

The problem with comments such as these is that you don't know if the guy (DrewAtHitFix) is a film score fan or just some average moviegoer who thinks any film score with lots of drums is the best thing ever.

You're right with that.

If it was just some average moviegoer, I don't think it would talk as much about themes the way this guy does...

Literally two clicks from one of those tweets would lead you to 416 pages worth of articles he's written about film in just the last seven years.

So, according to 'McWeeny', there are no strong themes anywhere in this franchise, but this score weaves them together, and Giacchino should have written it?

Hmm.

So, according to 'McWeeny', there are no strong themes anywhere in this franchise, but this score weaves them together.

Obviously he means the new themes Tyler has written for this score. ;)

OK, seeing these clips finally, I get the impression that Tyler provided a big, bombastic, action heavy score that was probably perfectly fine for all the action scenes, but they wanted Elfman to come in and give the more personal scenes a more delicate touch.

Just a theory until we know more....

I'm curious as to what the best form of presenting this stuff would be.

Initially I would say: have all the Tyler in order and then all the Elfman in order. But, what if there are Elfman cues designed to open or close Tyler cues? And if you present it all together, where do the Tyler cues that were substituted by Elfman cues go?

Two discs is the way to go!

One for the Tyler material and one for the Elfman material. End of story!

Or two separate albums, even, although obviously I don't see any of both cases happening.

But the cues will be probably be shuffled instead of separated.

Although given that the credits aren't "&", they might be forced to indicate what is what. Which we probably could tell, but still.

I think two discs is possible. The release date for the OST has been pushed back twice, right? And 2-disc OSTs are trendy these days.

Out of curiosity, which composers outside of Giacchino and Shore have had two-disc albums released, lately?

Hmm, was about to mention him. Aside from those?

I don't think Tyler and Elfman are considered as popular as Zimmer, Shore and Giacchino, these days, but I could be wrong, of course. The popularity of the film also plays an important role, I guess.

I don't think there's much of a chance that we get a two-disc release divided by composer. The general audience wouldn't care about the delineation. If we somehow got a 2-disc release, my gut says it would be near-chronological. We'd be lucky to see which composer wrote which track.

I don't think there's much of a chance that we get a two-disc release divided by composer. The general audience wouldn't care about the delineation. If we somehow got a 2-disc release, my gut says it would be near-chronological. We'd be lucky to see which composer wrote which track.

I agree. I think that if we got a 2-disc, it would be more like GOTG with 1 disc of score and 1 disc of songs. Just for the sake of optimism though, let's not forget that the MCU's own Incredible Hulk actually did get a 2-disc score release.

Didn't Iron Man 2 get one also?

I don't believe so. The score album I have is a single-disc from Debney, and I think there was a second songs-only (AC-DC?) release.

Yeah, there was definitely an AC/DC only album.