Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

Which means in less than 5 months time we will have a new score in our possession.

I expect it to be another great score, and the best film of the HP series. It benefits from the best story of these 3 films, and I get goosebumps thinking of the possibilities and directions John can go with this score. Themes galore, motifs, and further delving into the darkside of the HP series, just increase my anticipation.

Sure some of you would rather have John score some obscure art film or indy, some slow, wrist slitting borefest, but this is what he is doing. You can embrace it or ignore it, your choice. Some are more excited by The Terminal and thats fine, but it comes second this year, it doesn't break the long dry spell we've endured.

There is also the possibility that it will suck the big one like AOTC did, and be an awful mess. But unlike AOTC, this film has an actual "STORY", and a good one at that.

So basically this is it, 5 months from today, many of us will be seeing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Hopefully the score will have been released nearly a month earlier, and we will be familiar with the score and anxious to see how it fits the film. Then too it could be one of these scores that gets released the following Tuesday after the films release, or 3 days before the release, who knows at this time, but at least this year we don't have to endure a year long dryspell, with 2 films scores and the knowledge that the following year brings at least 3 scores.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whose overconfident ?man?

and if I or others choose, we can have a 4 months till, 3months till, hell even a 4 months ago POA opened.

my goodness are you the illigetimate clone of Morn?

my goodness are you the illigetimate clone of Morn?

:)

I'm really looking forward to this score and film. Thanks for starting this thread, Joe. I hadn't seen you around lately but I'm glad you are still around. Also, the idea of a new Williams Harry Potter score coming soon is really exciting. Let's hope AOL streams it early again like they did with the last two scores!

Neil

I hadn't seen you around lately but I'm glad you are still around.

Its bowl season, so that had my attention, and then with Nebraska courting my Razorbacks head football coach, that took up a little of my time.

I'm looking forward to hear to score also. 5 months, probably 4, is sooner than you think!

I'm not going to listen the score before seeing the movie! I'm pretty sure Cuaron has changed a lot at the story, so I want to be completely surprised. In the assumption that Williams will create a Dementor motif/theme, a theme that I especially looking forward to, I want to hear it for the first time in cinema. :)

I'm looking forward to hear to score also. 5 months, probably 4, is sooner than you think!  

I'm not going to listen the score before seeing the movie! I'm pretty sure Cuaron has changed a lot at the story,

Usually it's the scriptwriters who change things to the story, especially if the director is a hired gun and not the creative driving force.

so I want to be completely surprised.  In the assumption that Williams will create a Dementor motif/theme, a theme that I especially looking forward to, I want to hear it for the first time in cinema.  :)

Still a virgin?

Still a virgin?  

Yes, I'm the male version of Britney...

Usually it's the scriptwriters who change things to the story, especially if the director is a hired gun and not the creative driving force.  

I suppose that the studios knew that hiring Cuaron means that they were hiring a very obstinate director... And if you look at the poor quality of the scripts from the first two movies, I'm sure that Cuaron himself forced a few changes :)

The male version of Britney?????? Does that mean that secretly you're a slut?

The male version of Britney?????? Does that mean that secretly you're a slut?

Oh no, everybody knows that.

As the installments grow longer, I wonder whether how much longer the running times will become. You wonder if they'll have to start pulling some Kill Bill's...

i can't wait to see what JW does with Sirius and Lupin. I'm sure the Dementor scenes will be really well scored too. I'm anxious to see how they adapt book 3 into cinema. 3 is my second favourite. 5 is my first. then 1 then 4 then 2.

Good thread, I'm still really excited about this film. Peter Pan has helped to ease my wait for Poa, both score and movie-wise, which is nice. A new Williams score in less than 5 months, after a year and a half of nothing . . . . excitement indeed! :)

Ray Barnsbury

Judging from Williams's dull depictions of villains of late (you have to go back to 1999's "Duel of the Fates" for anything remotely brimming with enthusiasm), I'm not expecting much for the Dementors. Probably some cheap throw-away 3 or 4 note motif.

On the other hand, Williams's last completed score, while not as Mancini-ish as I'd've liked, was a near hand-in-glove fit that I hadn't heard since 1992's JFK or 1990's Home Alone. The lugubrious father-son theme, except for the instrumentation, seemed a little too keeping in tradition with Sean's Theme from MR and David's Theme from AI, but the rest of score was so charming and light on its feet. I'm excited about The Terminal -- I hoping for a similar touch.

Cuaron wont be changing the story a bit, he has no power to do so.

Chris Columbus has a tight fist on the project with the intent of keeping all the HP films true to the books.

Chris Columbus has a tight fist on the project with the intent of keeping all the HP films true to the books.

Yes, where slavish, stultifyingly literal-minded == "true."

Are we going to have a "Prisoner of Azkaban opens 4 months from today" and so forth

Well,you can look forward to many threads about the subject as the soundtrack and movie approaches.Does this upset you because were allowed Potter threads in the General Discussion and not LotR or multiple Giacchino threads?Harry Potter movies are in direct relation with Williams.

K.M.

Giacchino is in relation to Williams because he IS the next Williams

Plus Spielberg hand picked Giacchino like he hand picked Williams

anyways on the topic, PoA is gonna be waaaaayyyyy better than that piece of crap CoS, Gary Oldman is going to whup ass

I just wish we had the score for this one already. I really am anticipating hearing it.

BTW does anyone here want to take a stab at what characters there will be new themes for?

In the last film they gave that Fawkes a theme and the bird was BARELY in the friggin movie.

Williams like to write themes for creatures/animals it seems:Fawkes,Hedwig,Errol,Dobby.

So obviously i am sure Buckbeak will get a theme,probably opening menacingly then beeing gentle.That should be one of the Concert Arrangements on the c.d.

The Dementors will also get a theme for sure,probably something similar to The Emperor's theme with low chorus or whispers

And maybe Scabbers (Ron's Rat) and Crookshanks the cat(maybe a bouncy clarinet motif)

Other themes:

Lupin might get a theme

Sirius identity is supposed to be a mystery through most of the story,i'm not sure he'll have a specific theme attached to him,maybe he'll be associated to some kind of danger music.

Maybe Harry will get a new theme,because he grows up in this one and the other one might be more appropriate for a younger Harry

Hermione should get a theme of her own in this one,since she is important in the story this time around.

K.M.

Boo ya! Bring on PoA. Looks like a may release for the soundtrack. BRING IT ON!!

- Marc, who wants his Williams. ;)

:music: David Arnold - The Day We Fight Back from Independence Day :cool:

Yes, where slavish, stultifyingly literal-minded == "true."

The agreement with JKR was that the films must stay true to the books, if they do not then she can not allow WB to have the final two books for filming. Thats a hold a woman can put on a man that he will listen too.

Joe, hoping Alan is happy with the Terminal and that being the 3rd film removed from Spielberg's greatest disaster, we will start to see a "true" return to form for the once great director.

Joe, hoping Alan is happy with the Terminal and that being the 3rd film removed from Spielberg's  greatest disaster, we will start to see a "true" return to form for the once great director.

Actually Joe, it'll be nine films removed from Spielberg's greatest disaster ;)

You know, I'm intrigued by the Buckbeak comments. I think there will be something for that. Also, I hope they treat Hermione like the character she becomes in POA.

I want the score this movie, pronto! It seems like this movie will out do the other two, so I have extremely high hopes for this movie.

And when it comes time for the 5th book, I say make Tim Burton the director or give the job back to Cuaron. I want these books to be shown in their true glory.

Yeah I agree with that comment about Hermione KM made. I would like to see her get her own theme. Ron should get his own theme too.

There really should be one for all the main three characters.

It would be nice for them all to have themes but wouldn't that also be confusing since they mostly always appear together?

So have a theme fpr the trio!

I Hope Trelawney gets a theme.

HPFAN_2-Is looking forward to the movie a little bit more than the score.

I think Sirius or Lupin will get a theme and also the dementors and Bickteeth.

There really should be one for all the main three characters.

Just remember, Han Solo never got his own theme.

Neil

I know!

In fact I was going to mention that!

Heres a chance for Williams to correct one of his wrongs by writing a theme for all three main characters. Like he should've done for Solo.

Interestingly the film isn't even out yet and digital bits rumor mill is saying the film will be released on DVD in November of this year.

I'm gonna be pretty dissapointed if i watch this film and it turns out Lord Voldemort is again the person behind it all.

Dude he is the person behind it in every book. In some shapre or form at least.

There are already rumors about who to cast as Voldemort in the 4th movie.

I brought this point up in that other Potter thread.

I fully agree. They REALLY need to get a new villian.