2014 Oscar Predictions

Ricard

So, you said Randy didn't want to submit Toy Story 3 for best score, but he wanted to for Best Song and the Grammy's? How does that make any sense.

Well, maybe he thought his song has more chances of being nominated/winning at the Oscars than his score.

The thing is, all the films want more Oscar noms to their name, it increases their prestige and is something to put on the dvd cover.

So why should the producers of Munich or Memoirs throw away a sure shot Oscar nomination? So both are submitted and bother are nominated.

But I am not sure that its even possible for a non Best Picture nominated film to win Best Score anymore. The last such win was more than 10 years ago.

The Score category is just sorry these days. I can't get over the fact that shit like Babel and Social Network got nominated and even won. What a mockery of film music composition.

Even this year, it'll be the same, I bet either 12 Years A Slave or Gravity will win for score because they are favorites for Best Picture.

The only instance in the last 10 years when I think a score truly won only on the basis of merit was Up.

The only instance in the last 10 years when I think a score truly won only on the basis of merit was Up.

And Return of the King

That was immensely deserving. But it didn't win on merit, even had it been a horrible score it would have won. It would have won were it anything. The film just swept every category it was up for. It was ludicrous LOTR 3 even won for script.

Do you honestly think any voting members thought House of Sand and Fog, Finding Nemo, Cold Mountain, or Big Fish were better scores?

I think Nemo Cold Mountain could have won. LOTR's over due status and the air of inevitability and its sweep very obviously contributed to it winning.

I am not contesting that it is an outstanding score see? I am saying many other factors contributed to it winning than the mere fact of its quality.

My guess is that it'll be a year full of the "usual suspects" in the Best Score category.

Mr. Williams and Mr. Newman are pretty much a lock. Monsieur Desplat also has good chances with both the critically-acclaimed Philomena and Clooney's Monuments Men. Herr Zimmer could sneak in a nom for the already critic-darling 12 Years a Slave.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Ennio Morricone will sneak in a nomination for his excellent score to The Best Offer.

Well the Oscars are mainly for Hollywood cinema, and Morricone hasn't scored an American movie in a long time. Might have been Mission To Mars, actually.

I was pulling for a Best Original Song nomination last year for "Ancora Qui" from Django Unchained. Lovely song, and used well in the film.

• 2 months later...

I love Mission to Mars! The score. The movie is DePalma at his stupidest. And I love DePalma in stupid mode, but here... Ugh...

I love the score too. But don't tell others! It's hated around these parts for its use of the organ.

I love it too. The film as well.

Count me in on this club too. I tried to share some cues a while back and was laughed off, laughed off, I tells ya.

I hope Isham's 42 gets a nomination. It won't, but it should.