What 2015 scores are you most looking forward to?

Jay

2015 is not only a big year for Hollywood blockbusters in general, but a big year for a lot of film composers as well.

I'll start by highlighting 3 of them:

It's a big year for MICHAEL GIACCHINO. He's got

Jupiter Ascending, his second collaboration with The Wachowskis. This one's already out, so there isn't much more to say about it.

Tomorrowland, his fourth collaboration with Brad Bird, after The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Mission: Impossible 4. The film looks to be a fun fantasy adventure film that will give Giacchino a wide brush to paint wish, without being so unabashedly extravagant like Jupiter Ascending. Can't wait.

Jurassic World, his first collaboration with director Colin Trevorrow, but his fourth entry in the Jurassic Park franchise (he scored three video games: The Lost World, Chaos Island, and Warpath). He will be using John Williams' themes, something he has previously done on Star Tours... and of course he has quoted John Williams as an inspiration many times. I imagine he is incredibly excited about this project, and will come up with something really special. Really looking forward to it.

Inside Out, his second collaboration with Pete Docter, after Up. Out of the four, this is actually the one I'm most looking forward to. I mean, it's one of the rare big budget films coming out this year that isn't a sequel, prequel, reboot, or based on an existing property, and it's Pixar, and the score to Up was great. And the film is about the personified emotions of a young girl, so is ripe for a wild fantastical score. Really can't wait for this one!

It's also a big year for JAMES HORNER - his biggest year since 2005!! Wow! He's got:

Wolf Totem, his fourth collaboration with Jean-Jacques Annaud, after The Name of the Rose, Enemy At The Gates, and Black Gold. Looks like some kind of adventure film set in China, should be neat!

The 33, about the Chilean mining disaster, directed by Patricia Riggen. Not sure what to expect about this one until a trailer comes out.

Southpaw, a boxing movie directed by Antoine Fuqua. The film's got a good cast - Jake Gyllenhaal, Rachel McAdams, Naomie Harris, Forest Whitaker - but a lot of times these types of movies don't have much score in them. This one might not get a score release, who knows.

Living in the Age of Airplanes, an IMAX documentary formerly called Aviation: The Invisible Highway. We know about Horner's obsession with planes and flying - this could end up being amazing!

And of course, it's the biggest year in a while for JOHN WILLIAMS as well. He's got

St. James Place (working title), his (!!) collaboration with Steven Spielberg. A cold war thriller starring Tom Hanks, this has potential to be a pretty cool score, I think!

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens, his first collaboration with J.J. Abrams, and seventh score in the franchise. What more needs to be said!?

Any thoughts on these scores? And what other scores in 2015 are you looking forward to, everyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_film

I am definitely in for Tomorrowland.

It is a big year for Howard too. He has Pawn Sacrifice, Concussion, and Mockingjay 2, as well as two Shyamalan movies The Visit and Labor of Love though I don't think he's been confirmed for these two.

Also looking forward to Pixels by Jackman, assuming he is going crazy(ier) with vintage arcade tones.

The Monk by Badelt comes from the director of "The Promise" from 2005 for which the composer wrote one of his finest scores. A martial-arts action score by Badelt should be good - if it gets released.

Ridley Scott's The Martian has an interesting premise too, but I doubt the yet-to-be-announced composer gets to do much beyond rehashing Gravity and Interstellar.

In the Heart of the Sea - Roque Baños

Fantastic Four - Marco Beltrami & Philip Glass

Crimson Peak - Fernando Velázquez

Spectre - Coolman

Star Wars: Episode VIII - John Williams

Sea of Trees - Mason Bates (assuming this gets released this year)

I'm looking forward to Pan as well. I'm not super familiar with Dario Marianelli, but what I've heard I liked (especially The Boxtrolls), and an orchestral fantasy score is always welcome

Kraemer's MI5 should be very interesting.

Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars!!! :drool:

Good for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019... and 2020. :D

1. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

2. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

3. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

4. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

5. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

6. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

7. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

8. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

9. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

10. St. James Place

In all seriousness, this is shaping out to be an exciting year for all of film music. Tulip Fever is giving Elfman a possible chance to return to the wonderful dramatic sound he explored in Sommersby. James Horner has 4 new scores coming out, which should be nice after the 2013 and 2014 drought. And we get to hear more of Giacchino's Pixar work, as well as Jurassic World.

The two Williams scores.

Other than that I'll give any JNH score a spin at least once. I'm moderately interested in Jurassic World, and I suppose the Pan score just on the basis of the potential.

WTF indeed. Apparently the director approached him and he agreed because he thought Chronicle was "very philosophical" which probably doesn't bode well for old Philip's BS threshold, though I haven't seen the film.

THE FORCE AWAKENS.

Other than that,

Wolf Totem (Horner)

The 33 (Horner)

Z for Zachariah (McIntosh)

In the Heart of the Sea (Banos)

Chappie (Zimmer)

Sadly, Howard Shore, Clint Mansell, and Christopher Young all have blanks on their IMDB pages for 2015.

Yes, but understand that it would have been if they didn't get tax breaks for using a Spanish composer. It's Ron Howard after all, so I personally can't really look forward to a score that wasn't the director's choice to use.

By others you mean Zimmer? :P

We don't know for sure (or do we?).

Anyway, (most) Ron Howard films have good scores, so I don't think this one will be any different.

I'm sure Banos will do a fine job, but of course Howard would have gone with Zimmer if he could.

It's not a film score, but I am looking forward to Zelda Wii U's score.

Other than that, it's probably The Force Awakens, Jurassic World and Tomorrowland.

Since when is Zimmer scoring The Little Prince? Wow.

Could be interesting. I like Portman's take for what it is, but something a bit more off-beat might be more in keeping with the tone and spirit of Saint-Exupéry's tale. Burwell would've been terrific.

So Mr. "I'm going on sabbatical after Intersteller, and not scoring anything until Batman V Superman" is now scoring TWO films in between - Chappie and The Little Prince. What's next? Is he gonna get The Revenant too?