GNP Crescendo announces Star Trek First Contact Complete.

Ollie

I wonder if the rear insert will match FSM and Intrada, considering the same team worked on all three label expansions. I'm guessing not. Either way, I had my order in rather quickly.

I wouldn't expect Varèse to do a Nemesis expanded score any time soon. I thought Townson hated expanded Goldsmith scores. Either way I'm glad this was NOT some running late April Foo's joke and became an instant purchase. I could careless about some alternates not on the release.

I wouldn't expect Varèse to do a Nemesis expanded score any time soon. I thought Townson hated expanded Goldsmith scores. Either way I'm glad this was NOT some running late April Foo's joke and became an instant purchase. I could careless about some alternates not on the release.

Total Recall?

In any event, if Paramount wants them all done, I'm sure they'll play ball somehow.

According to Neil on FSM, the "missing" alternates that turned up on boots but won't be on the new official CD are not actually true alternates - they are actually different MIXes of the same selected takes.

Does that story check out?

I'm sure it does. Most of the differences sound like they are either an edit of a different mix. (39.1 Degrees Celsius for instance)

I assume The Phoenix is what is called "Greetings" on my boot. That indeed is a true alternate.

My boot has All The Time as an unused track at the end.

The Dish They do differ at around the 6:15 mark. After the Worf/Klingon Theme the OST has a brief insert with a short trumpet solo if the 4 note "Quest Theme" from TFF.

Also in the OST version there is a very short percussion insert mixed in at 3:34 that is not in the film version. And the OST version is tightened up (the film versions has several instances were Goldsmith drops a silence for a few seconds)

It's the same takes I'm sure. plus or minus some inserts.

Sounds Swedish!

I wish we had track times on this.

I'm assuming that "How Many Ships" is "The Enterprise E" and "Starfleet Engages The Borg" combined.

All the other tracks seem to match up to the bootleg, apart from "New Orders/All the Time".

My bootleg had that cue, but it was not used anywere in the film I believe.

This release does seem to be complete in that all the music is there, minus possible some inserts.

Though at this point we don't know if this release will present the "film versions" of tracks like "The Dish", "39.1 Degrees Celsius" and "Retreat".

Including both film and OST versions would have meant a 2 CD album. And since this is GNP's first release in donkey's years I can imagine they did not want to do a 2 CD set to include basically the same takes, slightly differently mixed or edited.

Great news. I still haven't ordered Hook, and now this.

It looks worse actually. Maybe it's because of my profession, but the color balance is completely screwed up. Google the poster! Picards head should be reddish, not yellow.

This is one of the worst album covers I have seen in a while. Way too many words in large font across the front. The starfield is coming across as greenish on my monitor. And then of course using the poster that is off-center.

It would have been great if they used the teaser poster for FC instead.

star_trek_first_contact_ver1.jpg

I just find the poster kind of drab, all the browns and greys, reminds me of Jeunet's aliens. Much prefer the art GNP used (on both releases). Karol is right though, it's very GNP.

They should've just used a screengrab of Deanna Troi getting drunk.

www.trekmovie.com has the back cover (which shows the track times), as well as 4 pages from the liner notes:

UPDATE: More images

GNP has provided TrekMovie with more artwork from the new score.

FirstContact_gnpCD_rev02_11-t.jpg

First Contact Complete Score – Back Cover

FirstContact_gnpCD_rev02_09-t.jpg

First Contact Complete Score – CD art

FirstContact_gnpCD_rev02_02-t.jpg

FirstContact_gnpCD_rev02_07-t.jpg

First Contact Complete Score – Sample pages from booklet

Source: http://trekmovie.com...complete-score/

If you look at the final image closely, there is a part that says

An extended version of these liner notes with more behind the scenes photographs is available for download as a PDF from gnpcrescendo.com/firstcontact/

So here is that link:

http://gnpcrescendo.com/firstcontact/

What's up with the labels - now they're releasing this stuff even without prior warning!?

Seriously, great news. Not unexpected, after the comments about all the Trek scores being remastered, but sooner than I'd have thought. And with Botnick involved, too!

Hope Insurrection isn't too far behind.

That is one ugly back cover

It certainly is. Oh well, having the entire score is still the most important part!

Mine shipped today, speedy service.

That is one ugly back cover

And the front and the garish CD. I know GNP probably saved money by keeping design in house, but ugh...

I admit, not the most elegant cover design but as long as the music is good I don't mind. :)

I decided to buy it after seeing the list of the people involved.

As for the artwork. You know, STV is not the most handsomely looking release. And it's probably still the best Trek expansion so far regardless.

Karol

From his description of the alternate main title I am guessing it is the "film version" , and the version Jerry used for his OST is retained as track 1.

I would guess that means The Dish, 39.1 Degrees Celsius and Retreat will be the OST versions to then.

Well, I guess the word *ORDERED* is appropriate and accurate here. :)

So, now we need:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek: Generations

Star Trek: Insurrection

Star Trek: Nemesis

... and it'll all be out there legit.

THIS is an EXCELLENT score, IMHO, and I'm definately looking forward to trashing the footwarmer files.

Hats off to them. The artwork might look like something you'd slap together using MS Paint on Windows 3.1 but the complete score along with 16 pages of notes and further notes provided free as a download is pretty great. Especially if this is their first expansion. Bodes well for possible future releases from them.

I'll be ordering this on payday :)

So what's the story with Joel Goldsmith's contributions? It would appear that he composed a significant chunk of this score and many of the coolest parts. Why not a more prominent credit?

So what's the story with Joel Goldsmith's contributions? It would appear that he composed a significant chunk of this score and many of the coolest parts. Why not a more prominent credit?

There wasn't that much time to score the film and he needed help. So hence why he brought his son in to help him.

I just never knew how much he'd done and it would seem to be quite a bit. I mean, I always considered Search for the Borg a highlight of Goldsmith's career. Turns out it was the wrong Goldsmith.

I just never knew how much he'd done and it would seem to be quite a bit. I mean, I always considered Search for the Borg a highlight of Goldsmith's career. Turns out it was the wrong Goldsmith.

Here's the cue list and the cues notated which were done by Joel.

DISC ONE

01. 1m1 Main Titles (2:55)

02. 1m2 Locutus (1:28)*

03. 1m3 Enterprise-E Introduction (0:28)

04. 1m5 Battle Watch (1:11)*

05. 1m6 Red Alert (2:16)

06. 1m7-2m1 Temporal Wake (2:08)

07. 2m2 Shields Down (1:45)

08. 2m3 The Phoenix (1:05)*

09. 3m1 They're Here (0:26)

10. 3m2 39.1 Degrees Celsius (4:45)*

11. 4m1 Search For The Borg (1:50)*

12. 4m2 Retreat (4:00)*

13. 4m3 No Success (1:30)

14. 4m4 Borg Montage (1:02)*

15. 5m1 Welcome Aboard (2:41)

16. 5m2 Stimulation (1:03)

17. 5m3-6m1 Smorgas-Borg (1:27)

18. 7m1 Getting Ready (1:33)

19. 7m2 Fully Functional (3:19)

20. 8m1 The Dish (7:06)

21. 9m1 Objection Noted (1:55)

22. 9m2 Not Again (2:41)

23. 9m3 Evacuate (2:21)

24. 9m4 New Orders (2:49)

25. 10m2 All The Time (1:03)

26. 10m3-11m1 Flight Of The Pheonix (6:29)*

27. 11m3 First Contact (5:53)

28. 11m4 End Credits (5:25)

DISC TWO

01. 1m1 Main Titles (Alternate) (2:54)

02. 1m2 Locutus (Alternate) (1:29)

03. 1m7-2m1 Temporal Wake (Alternate) (2:06)

04. 2m3 The Phoenix (Alternate) (1:08)

05. 3m2 39.1 Degrees Celsius (Alternate) (4:47)

06. 3m2 39.1 Degrees Celsius (Alternate Excerpt) (0:40)

07. 4m2 Retreat (Alternate) (4:02)

08. 4m4 Borg Montage (Alternate 1) (1:02)

09. 4m4 Borg Montage (Alternate 2) (1:20)

10. 7m2 Fully Functional (Alternate) (3:20)

11. 8m1 The Dish (Alternate) (7:18)

12. 11m4 End Credits (Alternate) (5:26)

13. 1m4 End Credits (Alternate Insert) (0:19)

*MUSIC BY JOEL GOLDSMITH

Well Goldsmith or Goldsmiths it is a damn fine sci-fi score and Joel does a great job in intergrating his writing with his father's.

I never meant that it was complete invisible who did what when you listen to the score. Just that while Joel Goldsmith writes as he writes he lovingly keeps his father's style and musical ideas in mind.