Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Is The New Intrada Album

Jay

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you that have it,

How are the liner notes? Do they mention the missing music at all?

Amended Cue List & Missing Cues!

Well, seems I wasn’t 100% right on my cue list as some have pointed out. I finally recieved the Intrada CD and it appears this is what the real deal is. Good and bad. First here is what really is missing from Intrada:

(the following 3 cues are no more than 30 seconds long)

*The Baseball- the cue that plays when the next door neighbor kid hits the ball into the attic, setting off the shrink machine

*The Shrinking Starts- the cue where I believe the shrink machine shrinks the furniture

*Ron and Nick- the cue where the machine shrinks Ron and Nick

*A New World (first 35 seconds)- the opening 35 seconds of this Intrada track are for some reason snipped off.

*Quark to the Rescue- the cue where the kids are in the backyard whistling for their dog to come to them and where they climb the flower and Nick falls in it

*Bees!- the cue when the two kids fall on the bee as it flies around all over the yard

*A New Pet- I believe this cue is after they find the giant cigarette and claim Anty as their new pet

Basically there are two changes to the above list from before. As I noticed from the track times at Intrada before the CD had started shipping, A New World is shorter than the film version/bootleg cue by about 35 seconds. It cuts off the very beginning of the cue. Why? I have no idea… it seems pretty random for them to do it. Luckily, for those who have the bootleg track for this, it will be pretty easy to use the bootleg’s opening and mix it to attach to the Intrada track. Or if you don’t care about Intrada’s better sounding quality for the track you could just use the entire bootleg track, but I would do the former. Still, I find this odd and a little irritating that they cut off 35 seconds for basically no reason at all. But probably only die-hard fans of the score, like me, will miss it and seek out a fix.

The other change to the above list is actually good. You no longer need to have the bootleg track Ant Safari, for it is added to the end of the Intrada track Flying Szalinsky, as someone already pointed out. Although good, for Ant Safari was a nice short cue, it is also weird to me that they included it at the end of the track. It does make the cue have two contrasting sides: crazy jazz to peaceful western sound. Chronologically it does belong right after it, so to me there really is no need to split the cue up, but some may say otherwise.

We’re still awfully lucky though. There isn’t much work to be done to make this score complete with the Intrada CD and bootleg. Compared to all the Indiana Jones nonsense, the entire time and work spent to fix it all up would be used to fix just one track on Indy! :lol: lol. You only really need to edit one track and the rest of the unreleased cues you just plop them in the order they go with the rest.

The sound quality on the Intrada CD for the most part rivals any of the bootlegs I have heard. It’s usually louder and crisper and you can pick out details more. There were a few tracks however where I didn’t like the mixing choices as much. For example, the Main Title and Lawn Mower. I may actually prefer the bootleg’s mixing in those cases, but the sound quality itself still rivals.

The chronological order of the Intrada CD remains the same:

01- 01. Main Title

02- 02. Strange Neighbors

03- 06. Test Run

04- 03. Shrunk

05- 04. A New World

06- 11. The Machine Works

07- 09. Watering The Grass

08- 10. Ant Rodeo

09- 07. Flying Szalinsky

10- 08. Night Time

11- 05. Scorpion Attack

12- 12. Lawn Mower

13- 13. Eaten Alive

14- 14. Big Russ Volunteers

15- 15. Thanksgiving Dinner

But the complete cue list now looks like this:

01- 01. Main Title

02- 02. Strange Neighbors

03- 06. Test Run

04- *The Baseball

05- *The Shrinking Starts

06- *Ron and Nick

07- 03. Shrunk

08- *A New World (first 35 seconds) mix onto 04. A New World

09- *Quark to the Rescue

10- *Bees!

11- 11. The Machine Works

12- 09. Watering The Grass

13- 10. Ant Rodeo

14- 07. Flying Szalinsky

15- *A New Pet

16- 08. Night Time

17- 05. Scorpion Attack

18- 12. Lawn Mower

19- 13. Eaten Alive

20- 14. Big Russ Volunteers

21- 15. Thanksgiving Dinner

If anyone were interested in any assistance with the missing music, it would be wise to PM me. ;)

Wow. I picked this up, sort of on a whim. I was unfamiliar with the score. I don't own a lot of Horner, but I have a handful of his early efforts as well as the Rocketeer.

Man, this is an UN-original Motion Picture Soundtrack. I won't say I'm shocked, because we all know Mr. Horner "borrows" stuff. But I gotta wonder if Elfman or Grusin ever heard this. Yes, Horner recycles his own stuff, but this was pretty extreme. I've never seen the film, but I pictured Pee Wee Herman and the Fratellis riding giant ants along with Moranis' children.

That said, it somehow all works, and isn't an unpleasant listening experience. But gee whiz, James... Did you even ASK Elfman or Grusin if you could?

I'm on the fence with this one. Good that it hasn't sold out yet (is it close?).

To what Horner scores could you best compare this?

The Children's theme sounds a lot like the Grinch. There are parts of it that sound jazzy like the motif for the feds in the Rocketeer. There are lots of flutes and ethnic pipes that sound an awful lot like Willow.

The Children's theme sounds a lot like the Grinch. There are parts of it that sound jazzy like the motif for the feds in the Rocketeer. There are lots of flutes and ethnic pipes that sound an awful lot like Willow.

You mean The Grinch and The Rocketeer sound like Honey I Shrunk..... :lol:

But yes there are 4 obvious lifts from other composers, although Elfman's is more of a nod to Rota as well.

I, and several others, "warned" people what the score sounded like.... :huh:

You're right, Mark, you did tell us in advance. Like I said, not shocked, but still a bit surprised. If anything, it's a wonderful example of what James Horner does best (or worst, from a certain point of view.)

Given that mine will take at least a week since posting on the 11th, I'm just doing what I always do whenever I order something from the US: forget I ordered it and one day it'll just turn up ;)

If the next Varese club batch contains one particular score I'm cautiously hoping for, I might just have to bang my head or something...

The Grinch came eleven years later. The main similarity between Honey... and The Rocketeer Feds' Motif and Pee Wee's Big Adventure is that all of the scores utilize jazzy material, especially with saxes--and that's about it. With Pee Wee you've got the added bonus of that jazzy material often being silly/goofy/whimsical. The flutes/ethnic pipes are a Horner staple.

Meh.

The biggest similarites I do hear and acknowledge are Amarcord, "Powerhouse", and to a far far lesser extent, The Goonies. In this case, it's quite similar to the Fratelli Chase theme, but he never quite goes there.

The thing about all of these similarities/"borrowings" is that he takes them and works them into a wonderful new thing, and I love it. The variations and usages of "Powerhouse" are absolutely fantastic, especially when juxtaposes it with the organ material in "Lawn Mower" (have I mentioned that I LOVE that cue?).

My copy arrived today from www.moviemusic.com ...

... with a crack in the back of the jewel case, a tab that holds the booklet broken off and floating inside.

Sigh.

... with a crack in the back of the jewel case, a tab that holds the booklet broken off and floating inside.

Sigh.

Interesting...

... with a crack in the back of the jewel case.

Sigh.

;)

No, seriously, I know what you mean. I consider these releases in part collector's items, and I hate it when the original case is broken.

It's weird that people get cracked cases from Peter. I don't think it's Peter's fault probably the carrier's fault (USPS). I've never gotten a cracked case from Peter yet.

Edit: Speaking of I won't get my copy of Honey, I Shrunk The Kids from Peter until after the first of April since that is when I can pay for it. I'll also be getting the Jerry Goldsmith: His Last Recordings box set and Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm from him too after the first of the month.

It's weird that people get cracked cases from Peter. I don't think it's Peter's fault probably the carrier's fault (USPS). I've never gotten a cracked case from Peter yet.

It happens. If you continue to order from MovieMusic.com, as I somehow have no doubt you will, you'll probably encounter a slightly cracked or chipped case at some point. Though none of them are sloppy (except perhaps everyone's favorite punching bag, BSX), I've found that none of the online specialty shops exactly go out of their way to protect their shipments -- the cushioning is generally minimal, if it exists at all.

There was ZERO cushioning. It was shipped in a box literally the smallest possibly size bigger than a CD

I know SAE, Intrada and Varese wrap bubble wrap around the discs and put them in a box. I know Peter @ Moviemusic also uses boxes. LaLaLand uses the bubble wrap envelopes.

It's bound to happen to everyone eventually. You're going to get a cracked Jewel case.

My Batman TAS came in a cracked jewel case, and the hinged CD tray in the middle arrived broken. So now it's just a removable CD platter.

It came from MovieMusic, and took about a month to arrive.

No complaints.

Actually come to think of it I think my Batman: TAS was the only thing I got that had a broken case. Then again everyone seemed to have complained about the case being broken even directly from LaLa Land.

It's no biggie. I only ripped it to MP3 and FLAC last night and edited the tags. Once one format is updated, it's easy to export the settings to update the other format.

Trent, what program do you use to convert WAV or CD to FLAC?

Trent, what program do you use to convert WAV or CD to FLAC?

For decoding Flac to wave (or vice versa) I use Flac Frontend. For CD ripping I use Audiograbber.

I downloaded that but never tried it. EAC won't work for me. Foobar 2000 will process MP3 but it throws up road cones for FLAC. I stopped trying to figure it out.

I got MediaCoder to work for making FLAC, but it keeps wanting to connect to the internet.

Thanks. I digress.