Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

:up: interesting read Jeremy, and I applaud you for making this recordings and presenting them for us!

Thanks Jason....it's probably too much info, so my apologies for derailing the thread! lol

Do you guys want to hear our recording of the "Escapades?" If so then I can try to find it and post it here. The CD should be out in a couple months I think.

EDIT:

I know better than to ask questions like that.

http://www.multiupload.com/9GH94FRBCN

Do you guys want to hear our recording of the "Escapades?" If so then I can try to find it and post it here. The CD should be out in a couple months I think.

Great listen and performance - congratulations :)

What's going to be the title of the CD?

EDIT:

I know better than to ask questions like that.

You learn quickly ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! The CD will be all music of current and former Air Force Band arrangers/composers. Other than JW, it will include an original suite for band by me (they asked for it! lol), Overture to "School for Scandal" by Barber (who, yes, was in the Air Force), a transcription of Walton's "Portsmouth Point Overture" by a former AF Band Arranger, and Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mark Hindsley, also a former Air Force Band Arranger. So, three Air Force Band composers and two arrangers.

The CD will be titled "Out of the Blue." :eh:

Jack,

Hey are you almost done with your edit for "Get 'Em, R2"? The unreleased section that is.

You seem a little impatient?

I am SURE he will post it, when HE is satisfied with the end result, as soon as possible. ;)

I'm taking some time to learn properly about sculpting reverbs. I'm not getting the acoustics that I'm after right now. Too sloppy and washy. :eh:

Amazing thread and amazing work! I love hearing the mock ups! I need to be less busy in life so I can dig into some scores and make some up myself.

Dunno how I possibly managed to overlook this thread.

I sure would love to hear AOTC's finale done in an orchestral format, but for now the mockup will do :) And I think Jack's mockup of Get 'em, R-2! is very, very good. I can't wait to see it finished!

I'd love to take a whack at the missing bit of Elevator Scene myself but I don't have any sheet music for that part :(

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to do some mockups of unreleased pieces as well, I don't have a lot of sheets though:/ So if there are any requests, and somebody would be willing to provide me with the sheets, I'd be happy to do some mockups.

Here's an example of how my mockups sound - it can't compete in soundquality with Jack's though (which is among the best I've ever heard).

a BTTF medley - could still use some ajustments and tweaks.

http://www.box.net/shared/f3cvel0rd3

I would like to do some mockups of unreleased pieces as well, I don't have a lot of sheets though:/ So if there are any requests, and somebody would be willing to provide me with the sheets, I'd be happy to do some mockups.

Here's an example of how my mockups sound - it can't compete in soundquality with Jack's though (which is among the best I've ever heard).

a BTTF medley - could still use some ajustments and tweaks.

http://www.box.net/shared/f3cvel0rd3

Amazing!

thanks:) I'm not sure I'd call it amazing, but I think I got a pretty good sound out of it.

most of the libraries I use are getting a little old actually;

Brass: Project SAM layered with Sonic Implants (called Sonivox now)

Woodwinds: VSL with Hollywoodwinds for runs

Strings: Cinematic Strings

Percussion: Sonic Implants

And then just added som Quantum Leap spaces for reverb. Not much EQ or anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

To Jack or anyone else who happens to find the information useful - a good way to get a decent approximation of the field drums in "Get 'Em R-2!" (and other cues from ROTS) is to combine True Strike's snare ensemble (with the snares on) and military drum patches, with a particular emphasis on the stage miking for the snare ensemble and the far miking for the military drum. Gives an appropriately crisp yet deeply resonant sound.

Sounds great!

I much prefer A Window To The Past over his original theme, glad he re-wrote it

Well, there are plenty of other cues to pick from that didn't make it into the film at all, many of which that are shorter and less complex

You're not missing anything, it's literally just... a chord.

If anyone wants to, knock yourselves out:

typewriterchord.gif

typewriterchord.gif

could you get that to me in bmp, PDF or tif?

typewriterchord.gif

Trust me, the PDF doesn't look noticeably better. In nearly all cases, the ink Herb Spencer used hasn't aged well. Either that, or the scores have been kept in bad condition.

typewriterchord.gif

Trust me, the PDF doesn't look noticeably better. In nearly all cases, the ink Herb Spencer used hasn't aged well. Either that, or the scores have been kept in bad condition.

well the program I want to use to read the sheet music, only accepts PDF, BMP, or tif (or it could be because its resized)

I'm wondering if most of the leaked scores are scans of photocopies, and it's the quality of the photocopies that's poor in the older manuscripts.

EDIT: Are you saying you were going to have the program scan the music and input it automatically, Faleel? I'd recommend doing it manually. With such a degraded image, it'd be very difficult for any program to recognize the notes. You'd spend more time correcting it than inputting the notes manually.

I'm wondering if most of the leaked scores are scans of photocopies, and it's the quality of the photocopies that's poor in the older manuscripts.

I have a hunch a lot of them might be microfilmed. It's not unheard for manuscripts kept in a poor condition (especially likely, since John Williams doesn't have an archive of his scores - except his personal collection which is probably engraved) to degrade, much like film stock.

Why I don't believe these are scanned, is that it's practically always the Spencer-orchestrated scores that are faint. Courage's suffer slightly, but not Neufield's, Morton's, or Pope's.

The post-Spencer score scans are basically always in fine condition...you're right that Spencer's are particularly awful. Maybe it has something to do with the specific type of paper? I'm comparing (for instance) "The Book" and "The Rolling Ball" from Raiders. Both were orchestrated by Spencer; the latter is of typical quality, but the former is quite legible, and it's on manuscript paper that's more similar to the types found in later scores. I have no idea why that would be the case, but it's interesting. Al Woodbury's "Escape in the Alleys" manuscript was written on the same type of paper, and it's in similarly fine condition. The same trend can be found throughout that score.

Scans of Williams' sketches also tend to be quite horrendous, and not just because of his idiosyncratic handwriting. Sometimes better scans surface, though.

I actually was planning on doing just that! I'll try to post a list tomorrow otherwise hopefully Monday

JURASSIC PARK - End of incident at Isla Nublar (literally one sustained note), The Encased Mosquito, Meeting with Mr. Hammond, Cartoon Demonstration, You Bred Raptors, The History Lesson, (last few seconds of) An Ailing Monster, The Coming Storm, The Trouble With Dennis, The T-Rex Chase etc...)

THE LOST WORLD - (Datameister, did you a great job with the Finale files - but I demand higher quality!) Tonnes of unreleased stuff here. Some track into the film but most of it unused.

The first three Indy scores

OBSESSION

VERTIGO

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK

CAPE FEAR

IT'S ALIVE!

THE OMEN

You could use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab to on the rips (PM me if you want the bootleg score in 320 kbps mp3s)

THE LOST WORLD - (Datameister, did you a great job with the Finale files - but I demand higher quality!)

As do I. I think I'm done making Finale mockups. :lol: Trying to get some good sample libraries that I can use with my DAW of choice, REAPER. Hopefully I'll be able to create (and in some case re-create) some higher quality mockups before TOO long. :)

JURASSIC PARK - End of incident at Isla Nublar (literally one sustained note), The Encased Mosquito, Meeting with Mr. Hammond, Cartoon Demonstration, You Bred Raptors, The History Lesson, (last few seconds of) An Ailing Monster, The Coming Storm, The Trouble With Dennis, The T-Rex Chase etc...)

THE LOST WORLD - (Datameister, did you a great job with the Finale files - but I demand higher quality!) Tonnes of unreleased stuff here. Some track into the film but most of it unused.

OBSESSION

VERTIGO

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK

CAPE FEAR

IT'S ALIVE!

THE OMEN

Uuh, yeah, I was more thinking of individual cues. I'm not gonna record entire scores.

Btw, about PoA: every instrument is notated in concert pitch, right? So the horns a fifth lower etc.

Concert pitch means that the instruments aren't transposed. POA is a transposed score, like virtually all of Williams' orchestrators' manuscripts. So the horns would indeed be a fifth lower, the trumpets a major second lower, etc. With handwritten full scores for films, it's generally safe to assume that they're transposed, not in concert pitch, unless they actually say "concert score" at the top, as is sometimes the case with JNH scores, for instance. However, Williams sketches are always in concert pitch, and they don't say so.

Basically, when in doubt, pull out a cue that you've got the recording for, listen to it, and then play the part of a transposing instrument on piano. If the pitch matches, you're looking at a concert score - if you're off by a fifth or a whole step or whatever, then you're looking at a transposed score. :)

OBSESSION

VERTIGO

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK

CAPE FEAR

IT'S ALIVE!

THE OMEN

Uuh, yeah, I was more thinking of individual cues. I'm not gonna record entire scores.

Don't worry, I meant the unreleased cues. :)

Continuing Data's conversation, I would look at the key signatures of each part. If the key signature of a non-transposing instrument, like the flute in C, is Bb, then the instruments like clarinet, trumpet, and horn would show key signatures other than Bb in a transposed score. In a concert pitch score, everybody would be in Bb.

I'm spoiled because while I've been playing music in concert bands for 20 years, I play a non-transposing instrument, so I'm spoiled when it comes to transposing anything on the fly that's not an octave.

Here is my promised list of mockup candidates!

Priority 1 - Likely never even recorded, or recorded but isn't in the film or on CD/boots/video games

1975 - Jaws

1m6s Typewriter Chord

1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom

1m7/2m1 Through Chinatown [bars 52-55]

2m3b Snowbank Sweetener

5m1 Entrance Of The Boy King

5m2b Exchange Of Glances

9m2 Willy In The Fryer [this one is partially used in film, but is mostly missing]

1989 - Indiana Jones and the The Last Crusade

7m2 Insert #2

11m4/12m1 The Canyon Of The Crescent Moon [first minute of the cue only, the rest is in the film and on CD]

10m1 Insert 2

10m1 Insert 3

10m1 Insert A

1991 - Hook

13m2 To War!! [original bar 37ish section only]

15m2 The End Of Hook [bars 27-40]

1993 - Jurassic Park

9m2 The T-Rex Chase [sections from beginning and end missing from film]

12m2 Hungry Raptor [sections from beginning and end missing from film]

1997 - The Lost World

6M2-7M1 Pt I Up in a Basket [section missing from film only]

6M2-7M1 Pt II Up in a Basket

10M1 Rialto Ripples [sections missing from film only]

11M3-12M1 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles [sections missing from film only]

12M3 Ludlow's Speech [ending only]

12M5 Monster on the Loose [section missing in film only]

14M2 The Saving Dart [ending only]

2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

2m4 Insert Diagon Alley Reveal

Quidditch and the Great Gryffindor Victory

2002 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

1m1 Prologue: Book II [sections that weren't revised only]

2004 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban

02 1M3A That's a Lie

03 1M4X Aunt Marge Points the Finger

10 1M9B Second Collision [ending only]

14 2M3 The Train to Hogwarts Version II

24 3MC Befriending the Hippogriff [last third of the cue]

30 3M7A Clown Out of the Cupboard [beginning only]

29 3M7X New Beginning

32 3M10 Remembering Mother

36 3ME The Great Hall Ceiling [ending only]

39 4M2 Quidditch 2004 [ending only]

40 4M2XV Choral Overlay

41 4M3+4 Enter Winter [first half]

42 4M3+4 New Woods Walk and Birds Flight [first half]

43 4M5 Map to Snow Scene

45 4M10 Brief Snow Scene [section at end]

48 4M14 Dueling the Dementor

49 4M14 Insert for Patronus Light

50 5M1 Buckbeak's Sentence [section at end]

51 5M2 Reading the Map [section near beginning]

52 5M2A Reveal Your Secret54 5M5 The Crystal Ball [section]

61 6M2 The Confrontation Scene [sections removed from film]

62 6M4 Sirius and Harry [last two thirds]

66 6M5AN First Frozen Lake

69 7M1A Saving Buckbeak [ending only]

72 7M2A String Overlay

73 7M3 Buckbeak Saves the Day [opening only]

78 7M7 Ext Whomping Willow

80 7M9 Lupin's Departure [opening only]

81 7M11 A New Broomstick

2005 - Revenge Of The Sith

1m4A "Get 'Em R-2!" [bars cut from film only]

4m6 I Am The Senate [ending only]

Revenge Of The Sith (DVD Version) [original opening only]

2005 - Memoirs Of A Geisha

Somebody other than me will have to figure out this one!

Priority 2 - Only available recording is in the film itself, probably covered by sound effects

1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom

2m2a Bar 34 Insert

2m2b Bar 76 Insert

2m4 The Indian Village

3m1 The Old Priest's Tale

3m2 The Child Returns

3m2a Alternate Beginning

5m1x The Emperor's Entrance

5m2a The First Supper

7m2 More Sacrifice

7m1a Sacrifice Sweetener

7m1d Percussion Sweetener - One

7m2d Percussion Sweetener - Two

7m3d Percussion Sweetener - Three

7m4/8m1 Insert

8m2 Moloram's Speech

8m3 The Evil Potion

9m1x Sacrifice Continued

11m1 Insert

1m4-2m1x Sweetener

5m3 Intro

9m2 Final Ending

10m1 Insert 2

10m3-11m1 Insert 1

10m3-11m1 Insert 2

1991 - Hook

13m2 Insert Bar 37

13m3 Insert

1993 - Jurassic Park

1m1 Incident at Isla Nublar [final note only]

1m2 The Encased Mosquito

2m1 The Entrance of Mr. Hammond

3m3 Cartoon Demonstration

4m2 You Bred Raptors

5m1 The History Lesson

6m3 The Coming Storm

8m1 The Trouble with Dennis

9m2 The T-Rex Chase

11m1

12m2 Hungry Raptor

1997 - The Lost World

4M1 Fire at Camp

4M2 Corporate Choppers

5M2 Big Feet

5M3-6M1 Spilling Petrol

5M3-6M1 Pt II Horning In

6M2-7M1 Pt I Up in a Basket

7M2-8M1 Pain of Glass

8M2 Truck Stop [section dialed out of OST only]

8M3 Reading the Map

10M1 Rialto Ripples

11M3-12M1 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles

12M3 Ludlow's Speech

12M5 Monster on the Loose

Priority 3 - The recording has appeared on bootlegs

2m3-3m1 Sinister Visitors

3m2a The Holy Grail

4m2 Beneath The Floors

6m2 Discussing The Book

6m2x New Ending

6m3

6m4 Market Source

8m2 Koeniggraetzer March

9m2 New Ending

10m1 Insert 1

10m1 Fix for Bar 65

12m2 The Penitent Man Will Pass

1991 - Hook

4M5-5M1 Revised Ending

9M4 Insert

13M1 Tink Grows Up

15m2 The End Of Hook

I'm sure this list isn't complete, please feel free to post other cues that we have sheet music for but not recordings of!

Revenge Of The Sith (DVD Version) [original opening only]

There's something missing at the beginning besides a clean ending? Are you talking about those notes that appear directly before in the film, where Bail and Yoda speed off, or was there something else that they removed?

Williams revised the intro before it was recorded. The sheet music contains his original intro, which was possibly never recorded