Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek Nemesis - Deluxe Edition

Jay

So the circle is complete!

But will the score be complete! ;)

That was my first question as well given that it is a Varese release.

So the circle is complete!

But will the score be complete! ;)

That was my first question as well given that it is a Varese release.

Die Hard 2 (Deluxe) was complete. I'm sure this release will be in line with all the other ST expansions.

Either way, I'm buying it. Haven't got Nemesis OST and all the other ST albums are on my shelf.

Karol

If Lukas Kendall was involved then we're guaranteed it. If Townson is the only one involved like he was with the Trek 09' D.E. then there would no guarantee of it... I do hope Kendall was involved.

I think Die Hard 2 was complete because Mike Matessino was the music editor.

I do wonder if this will have both the album and alternate version of "A New Ending", I think (my speculation) it will have the alternate one. The film version is on the original album and if that one is left off then it would be a good reason to keep it for those of us who have the OST (like I do). Well we'll know tonight!

BTW it's a bit irritating that Varese doesn't post sound samples like Intrada and LLL too when ordering time comes around...

This score has been shockingly long-lasting in my book. I hated it when it came out, but with each year I find more and more to like about it. Deceptively "auto-pilot."

If memory serves, the complete versions of Star Trek 2, 3, 4, and 6 were unlimited. Star Trek 5 was limited to 5,000 at La-La Land, but is now unlimited at Intrada. Star Trek 1 at La-La Land and Star Treks 7-9 on GNP Crescendo are I believe limited to 10,000 copies.

I wonder how many copies Varese will limit Nemesis to? Or it will be an unlimited Deluxe Edition?

I'm hoping for a decent edition limit.

I want this score to be available to all who want it (which includes me, obviously).

I'm also hoping Varese did this to the same standards as the other releases.

This is one of Jerry Goldsmith's last scores, and deserves a great release.

This is one of Jerry Goldsmith's last scores, and deserves a great release.

Actually, it is his last completed score that is in the film.

And yes, there's more to it than meets the eye. I agree with our dear Cauliflower.

Karol

This score has been shockingly long-lasting in my book. I hated it when it came out, but with each year I find more and more to like about it. Deceptively "auto-pilot."

Film music (and music in general) has been going through this terrible phase. It somehow just keeps getting worse and worse, like the ending of A.I. or the morning of 9/11. Okay, that second example is way too extreme, but you know what I mean. Now, here we are in this dark age and suddenly an okay-for-Goldsmith score like Nemesis sounds like a masterpiece.

Yeah, we all say that. But then again, I think older film music fans were saying the same thing at the height of Goldsmith and Williams back in the 80's.

Karol

Film music (and music in general) has been going through this terrible phase. It's somehow just keeps getting worse and worse, like the ending of A.I. or the morning of 9/11. Okay, that second example is way too extreme, but you know what I mean. Now, here we are in this dark age and suddenly an okay-for-Goldsmith score like Nemesis sounds like a masterpiece.

Well I think it's because something like Nemesis was very jarring back when it first came out. It was a brand new island of musical modernity in a sea of romanticism. It's the same reason people's ears bled when Rite of Spring premiered. And then when everyone started trying to delve into Straviniskian territory, everyone's like...wait...that [Rite of Spring] was actually really good.

Now that the entire ocean is modern music, works like "Nemesis", or hell even "U.S. Marshals" really stand out. Nemesis is a damn fine "modern film score." It's intelligent, it embodies everything that "saying more with less" should be.

It's by far the most streamlined and modern Star Trek score to my ears. The synths are smoother and darker (predicting the now all cool and hip smooth-dark synths we hear everywhere) than ever. More chord-based stuff than melody driven ideas. The motif/themes are shorter. The rhythmic material is more "poppy" than traditional Jerry.

ST:VIIII

Ah yes, the infamous Star Trek VIIII. Before the days the Romans had fully developed their numeral system.

Thasius' performance as the Captain of the Trireme R.I.N Agriculture was sublime. Cicero's score was to die for though, in my humble opinion.

It's 2 CD. Now I can die in peace.

DISC ONE
1. Remus* (2:01)
2. The Box (2:21)
3. My Right Arm (1:04)
4. Star Field** / Positronic Signal (1:57)
5. The Argo (1:17)
6. Odds And Ends (4:39)
7. Your Brother / Course Plotted** (2:07)
8. Repairs** (6:27)
9. The Knife (3:10)
10. Perfect Timing / Allegiance (2:21)
11. Secrets (1:28)
12. The Mine (1:30)
13. Ideals (2:16)
14. Options (0:55)
15. Bed Time / Transport (1:38)
16. Blood Test (1:23)
17. The Mirror (5:23)
18. The Scorpion** (2:24)
19. His Plans / Data & B-4 (2:39)
20. Battle Stations** (2:40)
21. Attack Pattern (2:22)
22. The Invitation / True Nature / Let’s Go To Work (4:38)
23. Lateral Run (3:55)
24. The Viceroy (:20)

DISC TWO
1. Engage (2:14)
2. Full Reverse (1:41)
3. Not Functional (2:54)
4. Final Flight (3:49)
5. Firing Sequence (:54)
6. A New Friend (2:38)
7. That Song** / An Honor (1:24)
8. A New Ending*†** (8:30)

Source Music:
9. Riker’s Strut #1 (Mike Lang) (1:07)
10. Riker’s Strut #2 (Mike Lang) (1:09)
11. Blue Skies† (Vocal By Brent Spiner) (3:17)
12. Blue Skies† (Instrumental) (2:37)

Additional Music:
13. Secrets (Alternate Mix) (1:29)
14. The Mine (Alternate) (1:33)
15. Options (Alternate) (:57)
16. Options (Alternate Mix) (:58)
17. Data & B-4 (Alternate) (1:39)
18. Battle Stations** (Alternate Mix) (2:44)
19. Attack Pattern (Alternate Mix) (2:24)
20. True Nature (Alternate Mix) (1:30)
21. A New Ending*†** (Alternate) (6:11)
22. Director And Composer (2:35)

This is definitely going onto my purchases list, especially seeing as it appears to make the bootleg thoroughly redundant. Out of curiosity, given the timings, I'm assuming that "A New Ending" is the film edited version, with "Final Fight" mixed in after the initial Motion Picture March.

Looks like Varese have learned. I can only hope they do the same with STID too in the future.