The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

It's very unoriginal. Take the original title and slap a different word onto it.

Batman Returns

Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

Batman Begins

Everything else related to Batman...

The Dark Knight was the first Batman film to not use Batman in the title. You can't really complain.

You left out Batman: The Movie, but you're right. My bad. I like complaining.

But at least "Batman" is the character's name. I never thought of yelling at the Superman franchise for slapping numbers onto his name to create sequels, or stealing the "Returns" subtitle from the Batman franchise for V.

Batman has other nicknames besides "The Dark Knight," but I suppose "The Caped Crusader" and "The World's Greatest Detective" are too corny for today's world, and tying the film's name directly to Bruce Wayne's name would not work.

"The Dark Knight Rises" lends itself to a third sequel called "The Dark Knight Also Rises."

How about "Dark Knight Redemption?" ;) The guy does have to "redeem" himself in society's eyes after "killing" Harvey Dent.

It's very unoriginal. Take the original title and slap a different word onto it.

Batman Returns

Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

Batman Begins

Everything else related to Batman...

;) Koray wins.

I still doubt this is the actual title. After all BB was called Intimidation Game while in production.

Karol

Or was that just a "let's not reveal it's a Batman movie by calling it something else", like "Blue Harvest" or "Paradox" or "Genre"? I don't think "The Dark Knight Rises" falls into that sorta "let's keep it a secret" category. ;)

Nolan confirmed it. The title doesn't bother me. I would have like something along the lines of The Caped Crusader, but that sounds a little silly. I don't think WB or Nolan knew what they were starting with Batman Begins. It initially just seemed like a great origin story for Batman. Then they made The Dark Knight. Continuing with Dark Knight, they're making the franchise their own. Instead of calling it Nolan's Batman or Burton's Batman, you can simply call it The Dark Knight franchise, or series, or whatever.

Instead of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises, they should have just called them Batman, Batman 2, and Batman 3. Hell, that's what Spider-Man and X-Men did

Instead of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises, they should have just called them Batman, Batman 2, and Batman 3. Hell, that's what Spider-Man and X-Men did

Raimi's Spider-Man didn't have other films to differentiate itself from. What's the reboot going to be called? Probably not Spider-Man.

And X-Men had all the crappy sub-titles. X2: X-Men United, X-Men: The Last Stand. Note the absent 3.

WB at least knew that "Batman Begins" was not and could not be a prequel to Burton's "Batman" based on how it rewrote the origin story.

In that sense, calling it "Batman" or "Batman 1" would be unfair to Burton's franchise, but calling it "Batman 5" (or "6") would be misleading.

Hollywood has a thing against numbered sequels right now, they just change subtitles. I don't know what's more annoying, that or non-sequel movies with subtitles.

I just wish they didn't use "dark knight" words in it. Sounds like more like a "typical sequel" than "inspired follow-up". But then again this one proably is just that. I'd like Nolan to do something else, honestly.

Karol

I'm fine with the title. I know some people would prefer "The Dark Knight Returns", but honestly, Batman never left Gotham at the end of TDK. "Rises" sounds more redemptive, serves a thematic point, and it's to the point.

As for problems, it'll definitely be the score. Nolan should just let Zimmer and Howard do their thing like they did with Batman Begins (which was a derivative but fun score), and not chain them down and force them to follow a temp track for The Dark Knight.

Because I think he's doing it only because he is expected to. I think he said everything there is to be said about Batman already. He made loads of money got all the critical acclaim. I'm not sure where he wants to take it from there.

Karol

I always have a very strange, unexplainable aversion to Nolan's Batman movies, yet when I actually sit and watch them I enjoy them immensely. Weird.

So yeah, I'm not particularly excited about the next one either.

That's certainly unexpected, the title and the lack of Riddler. I'm kind of "meh" about the title to tell ya the truth, it sounds a little too redundant. I was actually opting for something like "Gotham Legend", which still as a title pertained to Batman but distinct from the other two in the series. Oh well, I'll probably learn to love this one.

With this title and with Zack Snyder now firmly attached to Warner Brothers, I would bet the studio plans to have Snyder direct The Dark Knight Returns adaptation a few years after Nolan as concluded his trilogy.

Anyway, it's just a title, but as an huge Batman fan and great admirer of Nolan's Batman movies, this is clearly my most anticipated movie in the coming years.

The Dark Knight Returns takes place in a universe so different from Nolan's universe.... I mean, Nolan's is so grounded in reality, why TDKR has superman, green arrow, wonder woman, and all kinds of other stuff. Not to mention Robin. Unless they rewrite it I guess.

It wouldn't have to be a sequel. With this film, Nolan closes his chapter. WB will not let the character lie down. I'm just adding 2+2, though the prospect of a DKR movie directed by Zack Snyder doesn't excite me one bit

I think somebody accidentally let Snyder out of an asylum for the mentally handicapped. He just started making movies, and everyone felt too bad to tell him no. It's like those quilts they are always trying to sell you.

You know what was the best-titled Batman movie? Batman.

Batman Returns is awesome too. Hell, even Batman Forever. It's just a cool-sounding title.

Any title with the word rise or a variation of it sounds absolutely douchey, forget the actual content of the films (which you would never want to see anyway). For instance: Rise of the Surfer, Rise of the Apes, Rise of the Machines, Rise of Cobra, Rise of Harry's Wand when Cuddling with Hermione, etc. Now Batman is rising. Fantastic. It's just the title, but what the hell. Good movies generally have good titles.

Ascension sounds stupid IMO. Someone earlier said Gotham Knight. I think that would have been best.

Unfortunately, it was just used for an animated Batman movie.

I don't need to imagine it - I have no doubt it will sound very much like TDK, which sounded very much like Batman Begins. Except now this is post-Inception Zimmer...the Zimmer who supposedly has grown out of his earlier "heroic" work...so maybe we can expect something more minimalistic. Perhaps to one-up his one-note Joker theme, he'll come up with the world's first zero-note theme?

Actually, I'd like to amend my previous statement. It would not be the world's first zero-note theme. The world's first zero-note theme has already been written; it's called 4'33", and I daresay it showcases the kind of melodic verve that Zimmer will, I'm sad to say, never muster.

It's an obvious call on Nolan's part, since his Batman films would not be suitable for 3D. It's ridiculous really that he has to answer such a question - do people automatically expect it from all future blockbusters? If so they expect wrong.

But it will be in IMAX. I wonder whether they are going to shoot entirely in this format?

Karol

That would be incredible if they could pull it off, since it's an extremely difficult task.

The WB has actually been pulling for all of their tentpole films to be shot in 3D or do a post-conversion, the fact that Nolan has refused and getting what he wants shows how much clout he has with them.