Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

OH WOW! The opening logos theme from AUJ (that also appeared in A Good Omen) returns in The Return Journey!!!

OH WOW! The opening logos theme from AUJ (that also appeared in A Good Omen) returns in The Return Journey!!!

House of Durin? ;)

Well it's official. Bilbo's Main theme is not in the score.
So I guess in the end it's just a small theme used 4 times in first movie's score, two of which were replaced by rescored or track music in the final cut. Bah.

Motherfucking PJ.

OK, on to Ironfoot!

So I guess in the end it's just a small theme used 4 times in first movie's score, two of which were replaced by rescored or track music in the final cut. Bah.

Well, Bilbo's Baggins vs. Took arc pretty much resolved in AUJ

House of Durin? ;)

Could be the rising chords of Bilbo's Adventure that appear at about 0:37 in My Dear Frodo.

Well, Bilbo's Baggins vs. Took arc pretty much resolved in AUJ

Yet Bilbo yearns home every five minutes in the novel, not so much in the film.

That doesn't mean it should have disappeared completely

Did that horn Shire Theme from the BOFA clip appear on the OST and I missed it, or is it unreleased?

That doesn't mean it should have disappeared completely

Did that horn Shire Theme from the BOFA clip appear on the OST and I missed it, or is it unreleased?

Yes it should, because the element the motif represented is no longer present, just like the Moria theme only played in FOTR.

Me: yes its unreleased.

Jay: Good.

Extra music in Ironfoot that wasn't in the Standard Edition version begins at 4:02

Wow, a fun variant of Lake-town is among the SE-only section!

Dragon Sickness was pretty cool.

Thrain is awesome! Awesome Sauron's Theme setting :)

Yeah there is the old school Mordor Skip-Beat, Descending Thirds and Mordor/Evil of the Ring theme in one neat variation. :)

I know exactly what it was intended for ;)

Hint: There's a LEGO set that provides a big clue.

Gandalf and the palantir seeing Sauron's plan for smaug?

So much great stuff here. That Mithril film warmed my heart, and the end of that track is fucking amazing with the Laketown and House of Durin theme (grunters!) in full flow. Love the beginning of 'Beyond Sadness and Grief' (though is it slightly microedited at the start? Sounds like a little might be missing). I absolutely love that little hint of Dain's material just before the bigger rendition of his theme kicks in in 'The Clouds Burst'. 'Sons of Durin' theme is of course amazing. Eagles stuff in 'To the Death' simply majestic. Some sad stuff in 'Courage and Wisdom', 'Return Journey' and 'There And Back Again' that really hit me. I can't put my finger on it, but very melancholic. I guess it hit home that we're listening to Shore Middle-earth music for the last time. God bless you Howard.

We've established that rendition of Shire theme in the clip with Bilbo and Gandalf is missing. But we're missing a fair bit of stuff from this scene too right? The first bits before 0:11, and some after the Descending Third theme in 'Battle for the Mountain'.

I did listen to the Guardians of the Three and one thing I noticed (apart from the familiar Lothlorien/Galadriel and Rivendell/Elrond themes) was that towards the end of the track there's a recurrence of the same few notes used in FotR right after Galadriel comes out of her "nuclear" mode.

True or false?

Is Dragon Sickness for a scene in the film? Or just a suite?

Haven't gotten there yet...

Theme suite. The film's score ends with There And Back Again.

I absolutely love that little hint of Dain's material just before the bigger rendition of his theme kicks in in 'The Clouds Burst'.

Haha, I mentioned this when the samples came in. Jason didn't believe me ;)

I love how much workout the Laketown theme gets!

Yup I was surprised by how often the Lake-town theme is used as well

I have a feeling there's a decent amount of score missing on this release, not even counting the probably 25 minutes of EE specific cues.

Can't wait for the CRs already :)

I'm guessing it's when Thorin sees the Raven, knowing Dain has arrived

I did listen to the Guardians of the Three and one thing I noticed (apart from the familiar Lothlorien/Galadriel and Rivendell/Elrond themes) was that towards the end of the track there's a recurrence of the same few notes used in FotR right after Galadriel comes out of her "nuclear" mode.

True or false?

I immediately thought the same

True or false?

True!

Timestamp for this bit?

5:01?

Yes just around that time!

So, I guess all of you guys would say it's the best of the three?

Too early to say for me. I need more listens.

So, I guess all of you guys would say it's the best of the three?

Best act of the Hobbit score.

Not the best volume of the Middle-Earth annals.

Great - so if Jay is right the Gandalf looking into the Palantir and seeing what would happen if Smaug wasn't destroyed scene was supposed to take place in the EE of DoS, where I suppose it would make perfect sense (and might also explain Thrain's additional madness - has he seen Thorin's death perhaps?). Such a scene is mention in the BotFA WETA Chronicles book, so I suppose it may be in the EE of this film, but I'm not hopeful

Great - so if Jay is right the Gandalf looking into the Palantir and seeing what would happen if Smaug wasn't destroyed scene was supposed to take place in the EE of DoS, where I suppose it would make perfect sense (and might also explain Thrain's additional madness - has he seen Thorin's death perhaps?). Such a scene is mention in the BotFA WETA Chronicles book, so I suppose it may be in the EE of this film, but I'm not hopeful

"Thrain saw in the Palantir a glimpse of the Enemy's plan. A fool, but an honest fool he remains"

I need to listen to this more of course, but I think my preference will end up being AUJ. Perhaps it having a ton more music than this helps its cause I'm sure, and the fact that it'll (almost certainly) end up being my favourite film of the three (which should really be a factor if you think about it). I also like think the slower nature allows for some variations of themes that are more to my taste.

Why would they show a scene in the BOFA EE where Gandalf sees what would happen if Smaug wasn't destroyed, since BOOK SPOILER

Smaug dies right at the beginning of the film?

Unless of course they'd show that Gandalf scene as a prologue...

Well exactly. It would make no sense. Maybe a scene of Gandalf being interrogated/taunted by the Necromancer could be added as a prologue, given that a lot of the rings material to date has been relegated to the EE's (especially the Dwarven Rings shit).

I'm glad that there's music in the film not heard on the soundtracks. For one it gives me something to look forward to when watching, and for another it leaves more for the eventual CR...