Howard Shore - Ask Me Anything (Reddit AMA 12/9/14)

Lewya

Good thing he archives his themes so well...or these thematically dense scores would be kind of a mess eh? ;)

No power of archiving can stand against the power of PJ. But yes it is good he has his themes in notebooks so he doesn't have to go back to listening to his CDs to help to jog his thematic memory. ;)

If he left it to his memory, we might have heard more of the badass Thorin vs. Azog theme!!!

Or Tauriel and Kili could have actually been a new Bilbo theme like we guessed! Wouldn't that have been nice... ;)

So no one asked him a question that had nothing to do with Middle Earth?

Actually, yes. Multiple times. But I guess you just preferred to assume that wasn't the case, instead of actually checking the questions that were asked!

Dude, bother reading the posts in thi s thread before you just assume anything!

What... a fucking... waste.

I was going to ask him about his avant-garde influences, and what a certain sound in THE CELL was.

LOL

I asked that question twice! If he found inspiration in the Eastern European avant-garde movement, and how that inspired him to develop the sound in The Cell...instead, the question about the pizza got answered :(

There were a bunch of questions about his Jazz background, time with Lorne Michaels, his experiences with Cronenberg, a potential release of some of his concert works on album and maybe even a King King release sometime in the future. I tried to quote those kind of answers in the thread, but you'll have to dig them out.

Just check the AMA yourself. But yes, overall, it was filled with more mundane questions...

They could ask anything and they asked all these silly questions. Oh you people! Oh the humanity!

They could ask anything and they asked all these silly questions. Oh you people! Oh the humanity!

What they should do is this: first, ask people to write questions beforehand. Then collect them, list them, and ask people to vote for the ones they find the most interesting and to which they'd like an answer to. Then have the celebrity come in and answer to these questions.

Just not what reddit is all about!

I don't care what reddit is about! I care about what it should be!

Yeah power to the elite! Oh wait that is not what I meant to say...

Reddit is a place for complete idiots. Rest assured, under your system the highest voted posts would have been dumb questions like "What kind of pizza do you like?" "If you had to pick, would you fight 100 bee-sized horses or 1 horse-sized bee?" etc etc etc.

Also that Toru Takemitsu, Nino Rota and George Delerue were among his early influences/idols.

I've known that since one of the issues of the LOTR Fan Club magazine. Also David Tudor. ;)

Reddit is a place for complete idiots.

That's a radical generalization.

And yet still somehow true!

And yet still somehow true!

Nah. Look harder.

Interesting stuff can be found on reddit.

Nah. Look harder.

I'm sure interesting stuff could be found in a garbage dump, too, if I looked hard enough, but I'm not inclined to do so when the entire surface is covered with garbage!

For those who don't like navigating the actual reddit site, here's a compilation of all the questions and answers from Shore's AMA, complete with a nice picture of Marvin Hamlisch at the top

http://interviewly.com/i/howard-shore-dec-2014-reddit

• 4 weeks later...

His answer is probably reflective that he considers the OST of AUJ the complete version of his version of the score.

The film was a mess of re-writes and re-scores that probably pissed him off to no avail.

His answer is probably reflective that he considers the OST of AUJ the complete version of his version of the score.

Even then, it's not complete. Microedits and all...

But yeah, it's possible that's what he meant.