The Avengers (Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, music by Alan Silvestri)

Kendal_Ozzel

Well, you. Captain America is very much a period piece so the score feels more like Medal of Honor or Band of Brothers than superhero genre. Who knows what it will be like?

Karol

Thank goodness. Silvestri is certainly up to the task.

But I wonder if he'll use Doyle's Thor theme or any of the thematic material from the first two IM movies?

• 4 weeks later...

The question is now whether he'll follow his Capt America score stylistically or will he be asked to "G.I. Joe it" with obnoxious and generic electronics?

Karol

Either way is bad enough.

We're talking about a director who said he liked Burwell, but didn't hire him on his last two films or TV show, and replaced him on "Serenity".

A director who didn't hire David Newman again, whom he said the River theme brought him to tears.

A film under studio preassure to pull off many things, tie it to passed and future superheor films, and make big bucks.

A movie that has to do all that and make sense from beginning to end with multiple characters, some of which already have preset molds from previous films.

And a composer who's scores as of late have left much to be desired.

I strongly suspect Whedon was talked into using Silvestri, and I strongly suspet we're in for more of the same Silvestri.

This film has what scoring it will get, already written all over the walls. And with Whedon already sort of pigeonholded with some characters and outcomes ('cause of future films), we can't expect something great here.

In the end, mark my words, this will be another lack luster superhero film that blows, with an average score, but with staunch supporters of both (there's always those folks)

Was Captain America not the only one of the films this is a sequel to that had a more orchestral than MV/RC type score?

I'd say it's hilarious that Alan Silvestri would then be hired to score this film, rather than any of the people who did the scores for the others.

Maybe "they" finally saw the error of their ways? Or maybe not... But still! :D

I strongly suspect Whedon was talked into using Silvestri, and I strongly suspet we're in for more of the same Silvestri.

This film has what scoring it will get, already written all over the walls. And with Whedon already sort of pigeonholded with some characters and outcomes ('cause of future films), we can't expect something great here.

In the end, mark my words, this will be another lack luster superhero film that blows, with an average score, but with staunch supporters of both (there's always those folks)

That's really harsh. Amazing how confident you are in that Silvestri's score will suck, and we haven't heard a note of music thus far. It's entirely possible Whedon wanted someone like Newman or his Buffy composers back, but the producers "recommended" someone else. Or it could be that Whedon wanted to work with different people.

But to go out and say, "Silvestri's score will suck, just because I didn't like his recent output and these other composers aren't chosen blah blah" is really baseless and whiny. Joss Whedon has always managed to evoke some of the best music from the composers he's worked with, and I think Silvestri will follow suit.

Wait until the movie comes out before criticizing the score, not before.

Sometimes track records speak for themselves. I was right about "The A-Team" (though I hoped for the best), "G.I. Joe" and "Captain America".

Whether talked into it, or not -- to take you position -- Silvestri was obviously hired for a reason here, not because of his talent or because the film was something he'd be adept at/or just has "Silvestri" written all over it.

Half the composers Joss has worked with have not evoked anything worth a toot, or at best "okay".

As for the BTVS composers:

Walter Murphy never gets movie gigs anymore (except that little animated film ay ear back which was news on the Moon only)

Christophe Beck is booked up pretty well.

Adam Feilds will never get such a gig (not reflecting his abilities, but rather Hollywood reality)

It appears Joss has never asked Thomas Wanker to do anything after two years of BTVS.

Ditto Doglas Romayne Stevens and Robert Duncan for the same reasons of Fields.

^^^ No one to ask but Beck and that's iffy at best at getting it.

Unlike some of you, I don't have to wait for a movie to come out. There are such things as trakc records, whether you want to see it or not. There are such things general output, proven abilities; and yes, there are exceptions to that on occassions. But if you think Tyler Bates is going to come out and write a striking Herrmann-esque string score, you're dead wrong. You think Hanzi Zimmer is gonna go write a lush, lyrical woodwinds Delerue score, you're on another planet.

Take Craig Armstrong, for example. "Hulk", "In Time", and what I've heard about what he did do for "Clash of the Titans", there's now a track records; I'd be saying the same thing had he got it.

This film calls for certain scoring needs by the trailer and public photos released.

Maybe you can't so easily spot things, but I can probably ramble off a dozen or two films from the last few years I knew were gonna blow and DID.

Sometimes track records speak for themselves. I was right about "The A-Team" (though I hoped for the best), "G.I. Joe" and "Captain America".

Whether talked into it, or not -- to take you position -- Silvestri was obviously hired for a reason here, not because of his talent or because the film was something he'd be adept at/or just has "Silvestri" written all over it.

Half the composers Joss has worked with have not evoked anything worth a toot, or at best "okay".

As for the BTVS composers:

Walter Murphy never gets movie gigs anymore (except that little animated film ay ear back which was news on the Moon only)

Christophe Beck is booked up pretty well.

Adam Feilds will never get such a gig (not reflecting his abilities, but rather Hollywood reality)

It appears Joss has never asked Thomas Wanker to do anything after two years of BTVS.

Ditto Doglas Romayne Stevens and Robert Duncan for the same reasons of Fields.

^^^ No one to ask but Beck and that's iffy at best at getting it.

Unlike some of you, I don't have to wait for a movie to come out. There are such things as trakc records, whether you want to see it or not. There are such things general output, proven abilities; and yes, there are exceptions to that on occassions. But if you think Tyler Bates is going to come out and write a striking Herrmann-esque string score, you're dead wrong. You think Hanzi Zimmer is gonna go write a lush, lyrical woodwinds Delerue score, you're on another planet.

Take Craig Armstrong, for example. "Hulk", "In Time", and what I've heard about what he did do for "Clash of the Titans", there's now a track records; I'd be saying the same thing had he got it.

This film calls for certain scoring needs by the trailer and public photos released.

Maybe you can't so easily spot things, but I can probably ramble off a dozen or two films from the last few years I knew were gonna blow and DID.

Good thing you werent around when JW started.

[...]

Well, glad to know your ESP is in working order. I love how you're such a debbie downer when it comes to films like The Avengers. But I stand by what I said -- wait until the film or score comes out (whichever comes first) before saying things like these.

As for the Buffy situation, I was referring to the more dramatic and serious moments of the show (mostly scored by Beck and Duncan). It would be nice to see someone like David Newman get a crack at something like The Avengers, but that's not the case now. Be glad Zimmer or his cronies didn't get this assignment.

Not blown away by this. His CATFA score was good but could' ve been a lot better. It was mostly leftovers of his GIJOE score. The CA march and the action music is the main thing his CA:TFA score has going for it. Not to mention Peggy, the Red Skull, Hydra, the Howling Commandos, and the Cosmic Cube all lacked themes. The score lacked that 40s serials ( excluding the March and Menken's Star Spangled Man) sound that Shearmur's Sky Captain and TWOT (which is also a better score) Horner's The Rocketeer ( another better score) and Williams' first three Indy scores (also better but that goes without saying) I know all those films took place in the mid to late 30s. But still. I hope his Avengers score won't sit up there with his three other missed opportunities (GIJOE, A-team, CA:TFA). But I have a strange feeling it will.

Silvestri speaks!

And here is a comment below the article that drew my attention:

As a composer myself, it would be cool to hear a different theme for each hero, but when each characters themes are blended, it's the theme for the team as a whole.

Example:Hulk has this heartbeat type beat on a timpone(bum bum bum)

Cap has his patriotic horn section(da da da, da da da)

Iron Man has a gritty metal guitar riff(chug chug, chugga chugga chug)

Thor has an Asgardian string section(la,lala,lalala,la,la)

Widow has a hard snare and toms accenting her ass swaying(boom pop boom pop)

Fury's just hollering different stuff(yeah,what,muthafugga)

And Hawkeye has a popping bass line(bow bow ba ba thwap thwap)

This guy makes Chaac's "dadadadas" look like something from the past.

:lol:

Nice that this guys would give a thematic idea for Scarlett Johansson's ass. Inspiration right there!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spots and teasers have been OK, not great. I have high hopes just because this is Joss, but I'm worried he's been boxed into making a "studio movie". The 3D conversion hasn't helped those fears.

Looks like a big, fun action film. Nothing wrong with that....

Very true. And I think Joss had a pretty big hand with Captain America. The script reeks of him, especially the one liners and the "fondue" bit. Hope Avengers follows suit.

Spots and teasers have been OK, not great. I have high hopes just because this is Joss, but I'm worried he's been boxed into making a "studio movie". The 3D conversion hasn't helped those fears.

Just see the 2D version if you're afraid of a subpar 3D movie.

The Avengers has Whedon's fingerprints all over it. The only thing missing is a Nathan Fillion or Tom Lenk cameo.

Just see the 2D version if you're afraid of a subpar 3D movie.

The Avengers has Whedon's fingerprints all over it. The only thing missing is a Nathan Fillion or Tom Lenk cameo.

You're missing my point. I will go see it in 2D unless I'm with my friends that like to see 3D. My concern is that the studio and/or Marvel might be holding Joss back from being Joss. But it's just a feeling, could be totally wrong. Either way I'm more excited about finally getting to see The Cabin in the Woods.

Every movie needs more Nathan Fillion. Coolest actor alive.

Every movie needs more Nathan Fillion. Coolest actor alive.

I was disappointed to hear he wouldn't have an appearance in The Avengers. But maybe since they did some reshoots in CA last month, maybe Joss was able to squeeze him in. :worship:

Whatever happened to Kendall Ozzel anyway?

He watched the first teaser and died of a heart attack.

Oh, he's not dead. Not yet.

But I've been somewhat avoiding the trailers. Watched the post-Captain America teaser a couple times, and I think the first teaser after that once. And I had to check out the spinny shot of the gang from the new commercial, because I heard a lot of raving about it. Joss has done that kind of shot a few times before, like in the last episode of Buffy, and in Serenity. Probably in some other places, but I'm drawing a blank. But it looks pretty darn cool here.

This last trailer made me a bit excited for the film. Specially the use of that music to give it some comic bookie atmosphere. I hope that it's good and stand alone.

I dislike Black Widow being in there but it contains Hulk and Loki = gotta see it.

Something I fear since I saw some shooting videos is that they've leveled Thor to the other characters. WRONG. Specially wrong if you're going to have USAman fighting Loki. Loki should kick his ass. Also wrong if you're going to have Thor trying to stop the Hulk, like it's rumoured, and then being leveled to the other characters the rest of the film. ¿?

This team is kind of disjointed...

• 3 weeks later...

As usual, I've seen better fanart. It still strikes me as odd that they actually pay someone for creating such pieces of shit. The perspective is all wrong everywhere, the characters' attitudes are all mismatched, the lighting is awful, and nobody in the poster seems to care about the spaceship and the explosion behind them. Horrible.

Am I the only who thinks this film doesn't look very good at all...the concept was intriguing at first, but that was all the way back in pre-production. The trailers, and recently this poster have convinced me to think otherwise...

Silvestri's score for Captain America was disappointing, but it had its moments. I'm hoping he'll rip this film apart with his awesome music.

I think its safe to assume that Silvestri won't be using the previously written themes for these characters...

In fact, the more you think about it, the more difficult it seems to score this film. Unless you take the easy way out, which is writing some kind of anthem/heroic theme for the Avengers as a whole and thats...and thats probably whats going to happen.