New Free Online e-Book on Film Music Analysis

Ludwig

I was recently directed to TWO new free e-books on film music analysis self-published online just last year by a composer and university lecturer named Brian Morrell:

http://www.brianmorrell.co.uk/filmbooks.html

Lots of great examples (including many Williams) are taken apart here - and he clearly has access to scores! With over 700 pages worth of material, it's a phenomenal resource for anyone interested in film music, from either a compositional or analytical standpoint. And many of the insights are quite sophisticated, though the text is written in a very accessible way. Morrell even states in his bio that he aims to write a third volume.

Enjoy!

I'm reading this through, and while enlightening, there are some head-scratching lines like:

"Films such as 2001, The Exorcist and Planet of the Apes are milestones in the use of serial music"

Is the writer conflating atonal music with serial music?

And on Jerry Goldsmith:

"Several of his films, notably Star Trek The Motion Picture, treated heavily distorted guitars as orchestral instruments, not as tokenistic gimmicks"

WTF?! Is he mistaking the blaster beam for an electric guitar?

http://www.brianmorrell.co.uk/book1/03musicandmeaning.pdf

Also on page 12-13, he quotes a passage from JURASSIC PARK featuring the 'Cowboy Cadence.' He mentions that the VII being inverted gives it greater subtlety, but forgets to add that the G-C-F-Bb in the bass is following the circle of fourths.

Also on page 12-13, he quotes a passage from JURASSIC PARK featuring the 'Cowboy Cadence.' He mentions that the VII being inverted gives it greater subtlety, but forgets to add that the G-C-F-Bb in the bass is following the circle of fourths.

I don't have the foggiest idea what you are saying but it sounds darn impressive and important.

I'm reading this through, and while enlightening, there are some head-scratching lines like:

"Films such as 2001, The Exorcist and Planet of the Apes are milestones in the use of serial music"

Is the writer conflating atonal music with serial music?

And on Jerry Goldsmith:

"Several of his films, notably Star Trek The Motion Picture, treated heavily distorted guitars as orchestral instruments, not as tokenistic gimmicks"

http://www.brianmorrell.co.uk/book1/03musicandmeaning.pdf

You have to give him credit, though. While he may be off in some of the details, I think his broader points are largely on the mark. So you're probably right on these things, but I see the books as a boon to film music analysis. Let's be thankful, Sharky!

How could you possibly hope to understand? You are not an initiated member of the Circle of Fourths!

I know! :(

I can never hope to hobnob with you erudite folks on this stuff. I don't know my Cowboy cadences! :crymore:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

One could argue the blaster beam is a home made electric guitar and they would not be far off. Interesting trivia, the musician who invented/played it on STTMP also starred in an episode of TOS as kirk's nephew when he was a kid.

I love film music books. I own quite a few, and have read even more -- both as student and eventually teacher. Some of them use a really complex academic language. However, with books that focus on musicological analysis with lots of technical lingo, I'm totally lost. Could just as well be reading Chinese. :blink: