I'm a composer - Here's my music

Walid

I'm going to make this thread my own music thread instead of just the "lotr" type cue I posted. I will be posting upcoming soundtracks of games I do, short movies (and feature ones soon if all goes as planned!), and what not.

So if you wanna hear what I have to show, just stay tuned I guess.

(Old post)Hi!

My name is Walid Feghali, I have posted here previously with a much unexperienced voice of my own. However, I stand much more experienced today, with a much greater sound !

Here's a new orchestral piece I wrote these past days to balance out my orchestral palette of my computer. It's something in the likes of Howard Shore's music, and I would love some of you great fellows to give me some critique on it! Is it too much like Mr. Shores work, or does it have its own voice? I'm hoping for the latter, as this is my heart and soul...

Thanks for listening, hope you enjoyed it!

Walid (/Old post)

Interesting point. Regarding orchestration and arrangement planning, then I totally agree with you! This was basically written solely for the purpose of balancing my template, and not for anything specific.

Think of it as sneak-peaks for different themes and moods!

Perhaps I should write a much longer cue, for the end of consistency. And really let my writing be at spotlight, and not just the sound of my template... Ideas on where to start?

I am writing a soundtrack for an MMOPvP/RP-game, in the genre of "steampunk", which I do have my own sound and preferences. And also will be recorded live once I'm finished writing it! But I really do want to work on my more "Shore" side of things... The more classical, and acoustic.

You have a more modern compositional and orchestration style than Shore does, so I wouldn't worry about your voice. But as Georg said, your piece got dangerously close to quoting some of Shore's melodic material. Not to worry, such inspiration is normal, and with more ventures in composition, the more your thematic voice strays off on its own.

As for the piece, its nicely produced, but it would make a much nicer listen if it was a bit more focused as Blume said, Focus around a central theme and expand the piece around it. Alternate between secondary phrases/passages, but there should always be a sen of direction and definite purpose in the piece.

Anyways, like what I'm hearing. Would like to hear more. Keep it up.

Actually, I found this a very nice piece of work. Sounds like a suite for a larger piece of music.

There's no question that you're drawing your inspiration from Shore's Rings cycle. (If you hadn't mentioned it to begin with, everyone would've brought it up anyway.) But there's nothing wrong with that. Keep doing it for a while. Then find another composer, and mimic his work. Then try it with another. After a while, you're going to find a unique combination of these disparate influences emerging naturally, something that resembles each but is different than all of them. That'll be your own "voice" coming to the fore.

Everyone finds that voice through the initial process of imitation—writers, singers, composers, everyone. It's not plagiarism. It's the natural learning process at work.

Incidentally—what are those paintings accompanying your music in that video? They're phenomenal.

- Uni

My first thought? This guy should do music for games! I agree with the comments that mention a lack of direction. Compositionally, it seems to go in all directions at once. The mix is a little too wet for my taste as well. It's as if you are sitting in the last row. Everything sounds far away. There's very little depth in the sound stage.The samples themselves sound expensive and pretty realistic.

Alex

Doesn't really sound like Shore except for the few times you almost quoted him. I would think stick to your own voice instead of including Howard's.

I'm not sure how to interpret this. It does not sound like Shore's work, but at times it really does, so I should stick to my voice. Could you elaborate, please?

You have a more modern compositional and orchestration style than Shore does, so I wouldn't worry about your voice. But as Georg said, your piece got dangerously close to quoting some of Shore's melodic material. Not to worry, such inspiration is normal, and with more ventures in composition, the more your thematic voice strays off on its own.

As for the piece, its nicely produced, but it would make a much nicer listen if it was a bit more focused as Blume said, Focus around a central theme and expand the piece around it. Alternate between secondary phrases/passages, but there should always be a sen of direction and definite purpose in the piece.

Anyways, like what I'm hearing. Would like to hear more. Keep it up.

Ok so this makes more sense, I was close to quoting his melodic material, as in not his style of "musical coloring" or harmonic development. Some concrete examples of where this occurs would be great, or maybe it's just a feeling of gut; you've just heard it somewhere else, and probably it was from the Rings OST. It's quite interesting though, you are correct with your comment on the more I venture into other composers work and studies, I find more of what attracts my ears. This is great advice! Thank you. Oh, and regarding the focus of the piece - duly noted, this was more of an orchestral balancing than an actual representation of what I can write to some specific idea.

Quite good! Nice to see well inspired talent.

I'm glad you think so! Thanks.

Actually, I found this a very nice piece of work. Sounds like a suite for a larger piece of music.

There's no question that you're drawing your inspiration from Shore's Rings cycle. (If you hadn't mentioned it to begin with, everyone would've brought it up anyway.) But there's nothing wrong with that. Keep doing it for a while. Then find another composer, and mimic his work. Then try it with another. After a while, you're going to find a unique combination of these disparate influences emerging naturally, something that resembles each but is different than all of them. That'll be your own "voice" coming to the fore.

Everyone finds that voice through the initial process of imitation—writers, singers, composers, everyone. It's not plagiarism. It's the natural learning process at work.

Incidentally—what are those paintings accompanying your music in that video? They're phenomenal.

- Uni

That was very inspirational to read, Uni.. Thanks for that! It's a great advice I feel..

The paintings are from myself (I also draw when I'm free from all the rest of things.. Absolutely love painting!) and from some of my friends on DeviantART. Here's a link to some of my pieces, and you may find some of my favorites in the video actually... http://soldatnordsken.deviantart.com/

My first thought? This guy should do music for games! I agree with the comments that mention a lack of direction. Compositionally, it seems to go in all directions at once. The mix is a little too wet for my taste as well. It's as if you are sitting in the last row. Everything sounds far away. There's very little depth in the sound stage.The samples themselves sound expensive and pretty realistic.

Alex

Awesome first thought! I actually do write music for games - right now I'm working on a steampunk MMOPvP game, which includes a lot of crazy time signatures and orchestral coloring.. Glad you think so!

About the mix being a bit too wet, I kind of do agree with that. It's just that I was mimicing the sound of Watford Colosseum studios which much of the hall sound of LotR originates. But perhaps should tone it down a bit - It's a very tender process as the physics may not always apply to beauty, equally. Have to trust your ears...

These are great, and quite strict (hell, I'm in the part of internet where people are John Williams' shrinks...) comments - But I LOVE it! It keeps me on route and not slacking off. You brought up that I am too close to Mr. Shore's melodic material by composition, and this is definitely something I should consider while writing.

This is however just one of the styles that I love to write.. the Rings trilogy is my favorite accomplishment ever in film history, which is why I might stray to such ways as Mr. Shore. But I do not compare myself to him in skill; he is a gargantuan in this line of work, I am not.

Walid

I would never say worry about becoming melodically similar to other composers. Melodic lines are too hard to master on your own and too beautiful not to want to take. As far as orchestration, I think it's a lot easier to experiment or develop your own style and get good results.

I would never say worry about becoming melodically similar to other composers. Melodic lines are too hard to master on your own and too beautiful not to want to take. As far as orchestration, I think it's a lot easier to experiment or develop your own style and get good results.

Hmm you have a point. I do however think that you can develop a sort of melodic "style" in your melodies and writing overall. Even counterpoint and harmony can reflect this melodic way of writing (also something I have noticed a lot with Howard Shore).

And yes - experimentation is KEY!

There's Wally!

Ahah ! If you want it to be ;)

Ah yes. Really to be honest it applies to melody, harmony and orchestration. Never worry about subconsciously or purposefuly taking from other composers, because your own taste in music becomes your style. Thus diversity in listening is just as good if not better than experimentation, because you have more chances to find your own unique voice in the history of music, how ironic that sounds, because you take what you love most and leave the rest.

Ah yes. Really to be honest it applies to melody, harmony and orchestration. Never worry about subconsciously or purposefuly taking from other composers, because your own taste in music becomes your style. Thus diversity in listening is just as good if not better than experimentation, because you have more chances to find your own unique voice in the history of music, how ironic that sounds, because you take what you love most and leave the rest.

Ah so true. Well said, my friend!!

I mean that, I don't know if that makes sense to you, it sounds like you simply quoted Shore instead of really using his sound. And I don't think you need to do that because your own stuff sounds interesting enough.

I mean that, I don't know if that makes sense to you, it sounds like you simply quoted Shore instead of really using his sound. And I don't think you need to do that because your own stuff sounds interesting enough.

Hmm. I think I understand what you mean (in context to the piece I posted). Thanks for your input!

I can have this thread as my own critique den, and post pieces here that people can comment on if they'd like. I'd love some critique in orchestration, arrangement and performance from you guys. So I'll change the title to "I'm a composer, this is my work".

Thanks for being a great community! It's all for the love of music. :)

Thanks for being a great community!
:eh::blink::eh:

You should try to follow your inner sound ,which sounds very promising, more. Not to sound only Shore , who sounds Barry and that is not good at all.

Dude, this community is mahtavah!! (i'm your neighbour, finnish dude!)

encouraging words yet again. What do you mean with shore's sound is Barry? Like... it's amazing, is it not? I'm in love with his work.

No BB, I like Shore but he sometimes sounds like Barry who I do not like at all.

Good work Walid!

No BB, I like Shore but he sometimes sounds like Barry who I do not like at all.

Good work Walid!

Are we talking 'bout John Barry? Thanks Pasi!

(i'm your neighbour, finnish dude!)

hehe... äntligen en till svensk! ;)

Nämen tjenare! många svenskar här eller? (Excuse us for the Swedish!)

hehe I wish:( någon norrman och några finnar dock!

var i sverige är du från?

hehe I wish:( någon norrman och några finnar dock!

var i sverige är du från?

ah. kul att vara lite speciell i alla fall!

Jag är från Göteborg, och du själv?

Walid.

Är svenska kycklingar som bra och smutsiga i sängen som jag har letts att tro?

Jag skulle faktiskt inte veta ifall svenska kycklingar var bra och smutsiga i sängen. Men tjejerna kanske? nej, nu ska jag inte säga för mycket här! Vi har ju en dam med oss i forumet från samma stad som mig... Kanske hittar mig och kastar kycklingar på mig :(

Jag älskar också choklad

oh the mindfuck.

ahahha. took me like 5 seconds... then it hit me. the laughter that is

I really do like that "chicks" and "chickens" are the same from google translator. oh, so good.

Jag älskar också choklad

oh the mindfuck.

Varför? Tycker du inte gillar choklad?

awww....

google translate ain't doing you a favor, that's for sure.

Nice job! Sounds great.

Thank you !!

So....Walid.

You ever try to sound like John Williams?

Actually. I have tried it, but the man is too much of a genius for me to understand his ways. But soon!

I will however post the soundtrack here once I'm done with it!! woud love to hear some critique on it when it's finished recorded in bulgaria and mastered and whatever nonsense we guys do...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something I wrote today. Was feeling a bit... reminiscent I guess. Also, quite inspired by the works of Koh Otani (and a bit of Twilight Princess I've been told hah). Hope you like it.

hah, alice.. nyktrat till än? ;) jag själv blev rätt så dragen... sorry att jag var lame och stack, men.. This thread is for music (and in english)! you liked it? :)